Horsepower spec question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horsepower spec question.

I was looking through my 1963 lark shop manual trying to find the horsepower rating for my 259 two-barrel. I realize that it will not be a very high number, but all I can seem to find in the manual for horsepower specs is 40.6. That seems rediculously low! Also, it states the same number (40.6) for the 259, 289 and the Super Jet Thrust! I know that something is amis, perhaps I am looking in the wrong place or I am mis-interpeting it. Is there someone who can shed some light, or possibly point me to a place where I can find horsepower breakdowns for the Lark linup? Thanks

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

That's the AMA horsepower rating, which is only useful for tax purposes. I used to know how it was calculated, but I've forgotten... I think it was basically displacement based. Studebaker didn't really make a big deal out of their actual horsepower ratings, and there's debate as to whether they ever published "official" HP ratings for the R3/R4 engines.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

That's the AMA horsepower rating, which is only useful for tax purposes. I used to know how it was calculated, but I've forgotten... I think it was basically displacement based. Studebaker didn't really make a big deal out of their actual horsepower ratings, and there's debate as to whether they ever published "official" HP ratings for the R3/R4 engines.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

These are the ratings that Studebaker advertised:

259 2V 180 HP
        259 4V 195 HP
        289 2V 210 HP
        289 4V 225 HP
        289 4V (R-1) 240 HP

Though I do not recall it being advertised, the supercharged 289 (R-2) was about 290 HP.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

These are the ratings that Studebaker advertised:

259 2V 180 HP
          259 4V 195 HP
          289 2V 210 HP
          289 4V 225 HP
          289 4V (R-1) 240 HP

Though I do not recall it being advertised, the supercharged 289 (R-2) was about 290 HP.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
          Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

What Nate said about the AMA ratings for tax purposes, Nathan.

Now, to answer your question about 1963 horsepower ratings "as advertised:"

259 2-barrel: 180
            259 4-barrel: 195

289 2-barrel: 210
            289 4-barrel: 225

R1: 240
            R2: 289

R3: 335
            R4: 280

BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What Nate said about the AMA ratings for tax purposes, Nathan.

Now, to answer your question about 1963 horsepower ratings "as advertised:"

259 2-barrel: 180
              259 4-barrel: 195

289 2-barrel: 210
              289 4-barrel: 225

R1: 240
              R2: 289

R3: 335
              R4: 280

BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was composing while Guido was posting!

Guido: Studebaker's official R2 figure was 289 HP. I've got a personal letter from Studebaker PR Head Bill Dredge with the four R-engine figures once they finally got around to determining them![:0] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I was composing while Guido was posting!

Guido: Studebaker's official R2 figure was 289 HP. I've got a personal letter from Studebaker PR Head Bill Dredge with the four R-engine figures once they finally got around to determining them![:0] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Thanks alot guys! I knew it was out there somewhere!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Comment

BP's post is more colorful..... still second, though.

I always get irritated when I start typing a response, click on post, and there are one or two posts between the one I read and my response. I just CAN'T be that darn slow!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

BP's post is more colorful..... still second, though.

I always get irritated when I start typing a response, click on post, and there are one or two posts between the one I read and my response. I just CAN'T be that darn slow!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

So, is the 289 number for the r2 accurate, or have actual engines (in factory form) been proven higher or lower?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

So, is the 289 number for the r2 accurate, or have actual engines (in factory form) been proven higher or lower?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Actual H.P. Yes, never lower! Studebaker did not over-rate H.P.

Also the net H.P. rating is (was) usually stated as "S.A.E." Horsepower, I doubt there was any such thing as AMA then.

quote:So, is the 289 number for the r2 accurate, or have actual engines (in factory form) been proven higher or lower?
                              StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X