No announcement yet.

More on unusual wheel covers (hub caps)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on unusual wheel covers (hub caps)

Would the judges accept these?

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Those on the 60 Lark are nice looking covers. I'd put them on the wagon in a heart beat.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Those on the 60 Lark are nice looking covers. I'd put them on the wagon in a heart beat.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
      As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Those on the Lark appear to be the regular full wheel covers with paint applied to alternating "squares" on the perimeter.

Andy
        62 GT
        Andy
        62 GT

Comment

Those on the Lark appear to be the regular full wheel covers with paint applied to alternating "squares" on the perimeter.

Andy
          62 GT
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

Those "Sportsters" with the blackwall tires look sharp! [^]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Those "Sportsters" with the blackwall tires look sharp! [^]

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
              May 23 & 24, 2009?
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander
              Zone Coordinator
              Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I ordered spinners from J.C. Whitney for our 58 Silver Hawk and bolted them to the wheel cover.

Leonard Shepherd
                http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I ordered spinners from J.C. Whitney for our 58 Silver Hawk and bolted them to the wheel cover.

Leonard Shepherd
                  http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

For the longest time there was one 64-65 full disc cover laying with the Hawk body buck in one of SASCO's upper floors - before they moved across the street. What was different about it was that someone had placed black segments around the outer edge, much like's shown on that 60 Lark cover. I've always assumed it was something out of the styling department. I'll have to ask Dennis if it survived the move across the street.

Dick, do you think both those photos have the engineering bldg as a backdrop? Wonder who the two gals and the fellow are? Do you know?

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I would certainly accept the first one and have judged cars with them.
                      I posted on another thread that they were only available for 1954. I guess that was originally true, but from what you have posted, it looks like Studebaker made them retroactively available for 1953-1955 (because they fit and they wanted to sell them). The late 1953 price list does not list them, but the 1954 list does.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

First of all, what a great resource those pictures are for authenticity, Studebaker Wheel. There are those knock off spinners for the '53-up brought up in another thread..he wasn't dreaming! On the 1960 wheel covers; those just appear to me to be the AC-2937 full wheel covers with the shiny part of the scallops reflecting darker light than the frost area from that angle. New wheel covers such as that were like glass and while it may look black in a black and white photo, I bet they are stock.

Comment

Re the '60 Lark image, the man standing at the door is Eli Spicer of Freeman-Spicer in South Bend. One of the girls, I believe is his daughter and the other her friend. I have another photo (somehwere) showing more of a side view and the caps were definitely painted that way by someone. Being the factory dealership maybe factory prototypes that were never approved for production? More than likely however done by someone at the dealership. As for the Speedster photo I believe that was also taken at or near the same dealership. Actually I cropped the photo to make clear the Speedster in the center with the "Sportster" spinner. There are actually five Speedsters and their owners shown in the uncropped version.

Richard Quinn
                          editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

First of all, what a great resource those pictures are for authenticity, Studebaker Wheel. There are those knock off spinners for the '53-up brought up in another thread..he wasn't dreaming!
                            I still say that he was dreaming. The other thread asked about the flippers on wire wheel covers. I stated there that the flippers were only available/correct on the small hub cap and the smooth wheelcover. What Dick posted above supports this. The Studebaker item posted states that the flippers/knock off were available on those two caps/covers. Of course someone could have put them on anything, but they would not be correct then.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Richard and Gary, I stand corrected on both counts. I forgot the wire part of that original 53-55 question, but the 55 Speedster looks like it to me. That ac number doesn't make it correct? Either way, still pretty rare wheel covers and literature, thanks R.Q.
                              That Lark looks exactly like my second Studebaker and first restoration attempt; velvet black with red interior. A very nice combo. I have a box full of those 60 wheel covers collected over the years and none of them are as nice as those in that picture, so I thought they were just the real thing. I should have known you had another angle showing the thin shiny scallops painted black. I recently saw a tahiti coral Lark with those painted the same color to match the car color, so it doesn't surprise me. That frost color is super hard to reproduce. That larger scallop area is usually that which changed color.

Comment

Working...
                              X