Aero-strut and Aero-Flo hub caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aero-strut and Aero-Flo hub caps

From a four page flyer dated 5-62. If any other information is need let me know.

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Thanks for posting this, Richard. It takes the confusion for some out of the style differences and the correct names.
    It is surprising that the Aero-strut cost twice as much as the Aero-flow and that one price ended with 95 cents and the other didn't.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've got a couple more, but not hub caps.

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I'd sure like to get ahold of that drip rail kit for $7.00 or the grille for $34.00!!!
        Is that the date on the lower left- meaning July 14, 1963?? My first Avanti was built in March 63 but I guess the dealer didnt bother to do what they advised....doesnt have either one of these accessories. It was sold originally October 63. I do think my Hawk would look great with those aero-strut wheel covers tho!!!! Thanks Richard & Leonard for the scans!

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Leonard; I have eight different albums full of those Parts and Accessory sales sheets going back to 1938 (as well as Parts and Accessory News going back to 1931). I think I have a complete collection but since they do not have a consistent numbering system it is hard to tell. In any event a great resource. It is interesting to note that when a new accessory was offered they would often note what cars of previous production it could be used on. This makes for some interesting discussion re authenticity, judging etc. for people who are into that sort of thing.

Richard Quinn
          Richard Quinn

Comment

I don't think the price difference in the wheelcovers is that much of a surprize. Cover for cover, there's alot more labor in the Aero-struts than there is in the Aero-Flow.
            Having worked on presses such as those that would be used to produce the Aero-Flow and two parts of the Aero-Strut, the Aero-Strut was the easier one to make.
            With the Strut, you've got two different stampings to make AND chrome plate, PLUS the spinner to cast (it's pot metal) and chrome, PLUS the final assembly of the three pieces by hand! Four screws hold the 3 pieces together.
            The Flow cover is pretty much progressive press dies and then some sort of treatment to effect the burnish (if I remember correctly) of the center portion.
            The sad thing is that the Aero-Strut covers didn't just used stainless steel instead of going with chrome-plated steel.[8]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Strangely, the Aero-Flow seems to be much rarer than the strut. I have owned and seen a number of Struts sets, but only one Aero-Flow which I bought in the Nebraska auction a few years ago and sold at the following York Meet for $600 (buyer sucked them up so quick that I must have under priced them).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
              1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Strangely, the Aero-Flow seems to be much rarer than the strut. I have owned and seen a number of Struts sets, but only one Aero-Flow which I bought in the Nebraska auction a few years ago and sold at the following York Meet for $600 (buyer sucked them up so quick that I must have under priced them).
                When we had our Studebaker meet last month,I was looking around at Lee's back 40, where he has his parts cars, and I believe this is one of those, in one of his Studebaker trucks.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

quote:Strangely, the Aero-Flow seems to be much rarer than the strut. I have owned and seen a number of Struts sets, but only one Aero-Flow which I bought in the Nebraska auction a few years ago and sold at the following York Meet for $600 (buyer sucked them up so quick that I must have under priced them).
                  When we had our Studebaker meet last month,I was looking around at Lee's back 40, where he has his parts cars, and I believe this is one of those, in one of his Studebaker trucks.
                  Sure looks like one to me.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                  1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Is it a left or right?

Richard Quinn
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

Is it a left or right?
                      yes

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

quote: Is it a left or right?

Richard Quinn
                        Which way do the slots go on the left and right?

I would guess they tilt towards the rear of the car so the air won't blow them off.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I'd think they would tilt forward to catch the cooling air ...

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
                          Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Looks like one of those fuzzy '50's or '60's pictures you always see, where somebody claimed they saw a flying saucer!

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

The one shown on the brochure at the top (the left front wheel) is open at the top to scoop air in, possibly to cool the brakes.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                              Tom Bredehoft
                              '53 Commander Coupe
                              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                              (Under Construction 415 hrs.)
                              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                              All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                              X