Finally Made the Big Time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Made the Big Time...

'Always good to share happy Studebaker news with fellow Studenuts here on the Forum...and Today was The Day:

If I've heard it once, I've heard it a hundred times in the last 30-odd years, "Geeze, Bob, why didn't such-and-such magazine hire you to write that Studebaker article? It would have been so much better than so-and-so's writing with all those mistakes." I've always considered that a compliment, and thank those of you who have tendered said thoughts over the years.

Well, a major automotive magazine listened. As a result, FedEx today dropped off a contract from Publications International Ltd, for me to write a major article for the February 2009 issue of their slick, full-color magazine, Collectible Automobile.

Title of the article: High-Performance Studebakers of The Fifties and Sixties.

This has been in the works almost a month; a handful of friends knew about it but were sworn to secrecy until the contract was actually in hand, which it now is.

Truth be known, the article is virtually done. When I had the [thankfully benign] polyp removed from one vocal cord three weeks ago, the Dr. told me to talk as little as possible for a week. I took the Collectible Automobile acquisition folks at their word that a contract was forthcoming, so it was natural to sit down at the computer, open my files and reference materials, and pound out the article while I was not supposed to talk.

I polished the first draft and then sent it out to knowledgable Studenuts Cousin George Krem, Dick Quinn, and Nelson Bove for review. (Anybody who says, "I know it all" in this business is fooling themselves!) Those guys each made some appreciated recommendations and we've been going back and forth, fine-tuning the presentation. Cousin George said today, "This will be The Gold Standard of High-Performance Studebaker Information."

Well, I hope he's right, because a ton of research and cross-checking has gone into this to confirm everything we thought we knew...and it's surprising what details can turn up when you dig deeper than is usually done for an article of this nature. Unfortunately, the contract is for only 2500 words. That's not much for all I'd like to get in, so the final submission will be about 15% "over." Dick Quinn says that will likely be OK.

As most of you know, Dick has written many articles for Collectible Automobile. They contacted Dick to do this article, but the time frame and topic weren't to his liking at the moment...so he asked if I wanted the job and if so, he'd decline the offer with a strong recommendation that I be contracted to write it. That they did in less than 24 hours in the middle of July! So I'll publically thank Dick as I have privately for this opportunity: Thanks, Dick!

Collectible Automobile is bi-monthly and is usually on newsstands well in advance of its cover date. So if all goes as planned, this might be at your local Barnes & Noble, etc, around Christmas time. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Good to hear that an article written and proofed by real Studebaker people is going out on this subject. Let's hope that the editing does not get scrambled like it has in some automotive books in the past.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Congrats, Bob! [8D]

That will be a must have article for sure!

Thanks for writing it and for alerting us.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Let me go ahead and say it...

Cool Beans!! [8D][^]

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

That's AWESOME, Bob! Congrats on getting a plum assignment that I have no doubt will be great reading! I'll be waiting for my CA for sure in December!!!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
          Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Congratulations!

I was one of the handfull. Now I can take the duct tape off of my mouth!

I can't wait to read it.

Leonard Shepherd
            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Congrats Bob,I will anxiously be awaiting the magazine on the newsstands.[]

Frank van Doorn
              1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
              1963 Daytona Conv
              1941 Champion R-2 Rod
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Add my congrats, BP! I devour any articles about Studebakers, and can hardly wait to get this one! I'll have to bring my copy to York and have you autograph it[8D]

Do keep us posted on the actual release when it happens!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Bob, good news indeed! Please let us know when it's on the stands (for those of us who do not subscribe).

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard
                  http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                  www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Congrats Bob.
                    I have every issue of Collectible Automobile. I am looking forward to your article.

Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO
                    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                    Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO

Comment

Congratulations, keep us updated when its on the newsstands.

Comment

Congratulations Bob! Always nice to receive recognition for one's efforts. [8D][^]

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar Deluxe
                        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                        May 23 & 24, 2009?
                        </h5>
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander
                        Zone Coordinator
                        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Congrats Bob!! It couldn't happen to a more deserving gentleman. I have always admired your knoledge & the very few times writting to you, I was always replied graciously.

60 Lark convertible
                          61 Champ
                          62 Daytona convertible
                          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2)
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I'm sure the article will bring the R powered cars to a new level. For once in a magazine article the facts will be correct.
                            Denny L

Comment

What an honor, Bob. The first of many quality articles, I'm sure. The 2500 word limit had to be a tough one. Congrats on that and the good news from the doctor.

Comment

Working...
                              X