No announcement yet.

Finally Made the Big Time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok we all have congratulated Mr. BP for his new found fame but no one has posted any pictures. For those who do not subscribe to a great Automobile Magazine here's what you are missing.

[img][/img]

Bob I read this well written article last night after retrieving the magazine from my mailbox and all I could do was smile[8D][8D][8D].

Great JOB!!!!!

See you in the future as I write about our past
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I've got every issue of Collectable and look forward to seeing your article, well done.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

I finally caught this thread, and let me say CONGRATULATIONS!!
        So..the second week in December, eh? I will wait with bated breath. (only about a two weeks to wait now, so not too bad) I am glad I caught this thread before it was too late to get the issue!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

So..the second week in December, eh? I will wait with bated breath. (only about a two weeks to wait now, so not too bad) I am glad I caught this thread before it was too late to get the issue!
          Nathan: They might even start appearing on newsstands around December 1st. The delivery time frame seems advanced for this issue; maybe it has to do with Christmas coming up and they don't want to compete with Christmas mail?

To wit: My advance copies ordered for mailing to Forum members who had payments "on deposit" arrived roughly two weeks before I expected them. Regular subscribers got their copies about two weeks early, too. So the newsstand copies might also appear sooner than we expected.

Perhaps someone will post when they actually see copies available at a place like Waldenbooks, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Just received my copy in the mail today. Looking forward to reading the article..

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

I have an inside spy at B&N and will have her check for it when she goes in tomorrow for the beginning of the suspected holiday rush. She will be instructed to move it to a prominent display point in the Magazine Section so all can see it. BTW she has that authority as she is the Store Manager.[}][:0]

Comment

Hi bob congatulations on a job well done. i have allways know the greatness was born in the state of INDIANA this only confirms my theory. it truly is a job welldone. can,t wait to get a my copy of this fine article whose
                was the 1963 avanti on the front cover ?

rawise
                rawise

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wise raymond

Hi bob congatulations on a job well done. i have allways know the greatness was born in the state of INDIANA this only confirms my theory. it truly is a job welldone. can,t wait to get a my copy of this fine article whose
                  was the 1963 avanti on the front cover ?

rawise
                  Ray: The red Avanti on the cover and again within the article belongs to Chuck & Sutton Decker of Murphysboro IL. I don't know the Deckers and, as I said, I was able to exert only minimal influence on which cars appeared in the article, or where. At least we got the front cover with an authentic Studebaker Avanti in a genuine 1963 Avanti color.

I was disappointed they did not use either Bill Pressler's white 1963 R1 Daytona Skytop or Jeff Bradel's black 1963 R2/4-Speed Super Lark Daytona convertible. I strongly recommended those two cars to no avail. I thought they'd make a good pair with side-by-side photos and both have their fender tags in the right place![^] Oh, well...

I did recommend Nelson Bove's 1963 Super Red Super Hawk because, heretofore, it had not been in a national magazine. When the photographer got there, they noted Neslon also owning the "one of one" 1964 R3 Commander, so they photographed it, too, for inclusion in the article. Nels said the photographer was really taken with the Super Hawk!

Thanks for the compliments; 'glad you enjoyed the article! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, Chuck Decker's R-1 is a pristine example of an original Avanti. This car has won many national awards. Chuck is a former longtime AOAI Board Member who retired, just like I did, this past October. He is a great guy and I am sure proud of the fact that his car was chosen for the cover of CA. Like you said, it would have been nice to see the Larks on the cover but apparently that was not to be. Anyway we need to be proud of the cover as it really stands out as shown above in my other post.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Bob, Chuck Decker's R-1 is a pristine example of an original Avanti. This car has won many national awards. Chuck is a former longtime AOAI Board Member who retired, just like I did, this past October. He is a great guy and I am sure proud of the fact that his car was chosen for the cover of CA. Like you said, it would have been nice to see the Larks on the cover but apparently that was not to be. Anyway we need to be proud of the cover as it really stands out as shown above in my other post.
                      Don: I didn't necessarily promote Bill's or Jeff's Larks for the cover of Collectible Automobile; in fact, the cover is just fine with me and I'm glad we got it. I would have preferred their cars somewhere inside, though, instead of all those with 1963 fender tags in the wrong place and no notation in the caption(s) to that effect.

Nope; cover shot is fine with me and I never suggested or promoted Bill's or Jeff's Larks for the CA cover. Newsstand sales depend on an especially attractive cover, so the Avanti is indeed the best to attract the attention of the non-Studebaker enthusiast. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Bob, I've found these folks (all magazines) are going to do what they think will sell their product when it comes to covers and not particularly what we'd like them to do. I really like the layout of this article and we (Stude guys and gals) will pick out the flaws but the general public won't see them, just like we know where the flaws are in our cars while they don't. Write another one for them will you? Studebaker PR is really coming out of the wood work right now. I guess it has to do with the 45th anniversary that is fast approaching. It's a day I'll be dressed in black and mourning all day long.[xx(]

See you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

As the owner of a 63 red Avanti w/black & fawn interior...I love the cover!
                          I've checked with the local Borders, it sould be there in a week.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

That cover photo is terrific IMHO. I can't wait 'til it hits the newsstands for me to buy it!

I look on Edmunds.com from time to time, including their classic car forum. A month or so ago, I saw a discussion which included the Studebaker Avanti. Their forum host made a comment about how 'hopelessly dated' (or similar statement) the Avanti looks now. I couldn't let that slip by, and posted the Avanti's attributes.

Now, look at the CA cover. Can you honestly tell me of any other 1963 automobile that looks as modern today? And I'll include the Corvette Sting Ray in that assessment!

The 'host' also commented in response to me, how 'barbaric' Studebaker management was to employees and also in 'ordering the disposal of all Packard archives'. I replied that that was news to me, both from everything I've read and from the Packard info on hand at the SNM archives! He somewhat "harrumphed" (I get the feeling their normal posters all bow down to him.) He later admitted to being from a Packard family!.....

Again, great job Bob, and I can't wait to see it in person!

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill, you ought to tell the host that it was Nance who ordered the disposal of the Packard archives, not anyone from Studebaker. Some things got burned, but I know I've read somewhere that folks like Dick Teague smuggled out what they could. Thanks to those folks, a lot of history got saved.

And don't get me started on what the guy said about the Avanti. Good gosh ...

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
                              Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Working...
                              X