No announcement yet.

Finally Made the Big Time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob, you have shared your experience, skill, and insight on many topics. The article will be of great interest. Congratulations.

Niantic, CT
    1963 Avanti R2524
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
      What I want to know is if you've seen the final edit yet and caught anything that may have been omitted, or added. Boy, you'll never hear the end of it if they changed something without your approval for an authentic point in there!
      Sadly, Dave; that's a bone of contention...and one reason Dick Quinn's enthusiasm waned. I was as strong as I could be -and Dick backed me up with citations of errors that had been introduced in his articles- about getting to proof the final copy before going to press...but they made excuses about publishing deadlines precluding any double-checks. I wasn't in much of a position to demand anything, so I just reminded them of their integrity being compromised if their editors introduced errors.

The biggest problem is the photo captions. Common practice in the industry is for the magazine to write their own photo captions. Of course, if there's an error in one of them, the reader assumes the article's author made the mistake...when, in fact, the author never got to see the captions, much less write them.

This embarrasment happened to me once before, doing the Studebaker V-8 section for the book, Standard Catalog of American V-8 Engines, published by Krause Publications in 2003. I was satisfied with the article's text because I had been permitted a final sign-off, but I wasn't allowed to see the photo captions. Sure enough, the book comes out with a picture of a 1956 Studebaker V-8 and the caption says the 259 was bored out to produce the 1956 289. Wrong, of course; it was stroked.

But that wasn't Collectible Automobile, so we'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being and see what they've done come December. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Cool Bob,
        That explains, once again, why I bow toward your house whenever I see a Studebaker.

Claude Chmielewski
        Studeski
        http://www.studeski.com
        Fillmore, Wisconsin
        47 M-16 Truck
        62 GT Hawk
        63 Lark
        64 Commander Wagonaire
        50 Champion Regal (parts car)
        [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
        sigpic
        Claude Chmielewski
        Studeski
        http://www.studeski.com
        Fillmore, Wisconsin
        47 M-16 Truck
        53 2R5
        60 Lark VIII Convertible
        60 5E7 Champ pickup
        62 GT Hawk 4 speed
        63 Lark
        63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
        64 Commander Wagonaire
        64 Daytona Convertible
        50 Champion Regal (parts car)
        36 Dictator
        36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

Congratulations, sir!

I already got a 'Two fer' out of it: used 'Search' looking for 259 vs 289 stroke to see if a 289 was a bored or stroked [or both] 259. This thread came up and now I also know where to look for future tech references in your magazine article!

Comment

Congrats Bob,
            I just caught this thread. I'll have to pick up a couple copies. One for keep sake, and the other for the break room at work.

Gordon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Congrats Bob,
              I just caught this thread. I'll have to pick up a couple copies. One for keep sake, and the other for the break room at work.

Gordon
              Gordon: Yes, the February 2009 Collectible Automobile should be on the rack at your local Borders, Barnes & Noble, Waldenbooks, etc. during the second week of December. The only car on the cover is a nice red 1963 Studebaker Avanti, so you'll spot it right off.

Since you have a 1963 Lark, you'll really want to get that issue. The article includes photos of no fewer than four different 1963 Lark 2-doors, including a period B&W photo of a full-package R1 1963 Standard on the drag strip at the 1964 NHRA Winternational Drags in Pomona CA. It's a cool photo; one I had never seen before this issue of Collectible Automobile was published. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Finally made the big time? I thought I read "finally made hard time" LOL I just figured that "Honest Bobs Used Car Sales" finally caught up with you! BOSEG

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks my a**!, give the guy a finder's fee!! <grin>

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

'Always good to share happy Studebaker news with fellow Studenuts here on the Forum...and Today was The Day:

If I've heard it once, I've heard it a hundred times in the last 30-odd years, "Geeze, Bob, why didn't such-and-such magazine hire you to write that Studebaker article? It would have been so much better than so-and-so's writing with all those mistakes." I've always considered that a compliment, and thank those of you who have tendered said thoughts over the years.

Well, a major automotive magazine listened. As a result, FedEx today dropped off a contract from Publications International Ltd, for me to write a major article for the February 2009 issue of their slick, full-color magazine, Collectible Automobile.

Title of the article: High-Performance Studebakers of The Fifties and Sixties.

This has been in the works almost a month; a handful of friends knew about it but were sworn to secrecy until the contract was actually in hand, which it now is.

Truth be known, the article is virtually done. When I had the [thankfully benign] polyp removed from one vocal cord three weeks ago, the Dr. told me to talk as little as possible for a week. I took the Collectible Automobile acquisition folks at their word that a contract was forthcoming, so it was natural to sit down at the computer, open my files and reference materials, and pound out the article while I was not supposed to talk.

I polished the first draft and then sent it out to knowledgable Studenuts Cousin George Krem, Dick Quinn, and Nelson Bove for review. (Anybody who says, "I know it all" in this business is fooling themselves!) Those guys each made some appreciated recommendations and we've been going back and forth, fine-tuning the presentation. Cousin George said today, "This will be The Gold Standard of High-Performance Studebaker Information."

Well, I hope he's right, because a ton of research and cross-checking has gone into this to confirm everything we thought we knew...and it's surprising what details can turn up when you dig deeper than is usually done for an article of this nature. Unfortunately, the contract is for only 2500 words. That's not much for all I'd like to get in, so the final submission will be about 15% "over." Dick Quinn says that will likely be OK.

As most of you know, Dick has written many articles for Collectible Automobile. They contacted Dick to do this article, but the time frame and topic weren't to his liking at the moment...so he asked if I wanted the job and if so, he'd decline the offer with a strong recommendation that I be contracted to write it. That they did in less than 24 hours in the middle of July! So I'll publically thank Dick as I have privately for this opportunity: Thanks, Dick!

Collectible Automobile is bi-monthly and is usually on newsstands well in advance of its cover date. So if all goes as planned, this might be at your local Barnes & Noble, etc, around Christmas time. BP

Comment

You also could not talk for a week either! <grin>

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Being the cynical SOB that I am...
                    I had a hard time getting past the only point that stuck with me....
                    I admire your grit and determination.
                    I could not do that for a week...
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

<snip>
                    When I had the [thankfully benign] polyp removed from one vocal cord three weeks ago, the Dr. told me to talk as little as possible for a week. <snip>
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Comment

I'll add my congrats, with a footnote. MY favorite part of Turning Wheels is the Co-Operator. I'm fascinated by the questions and anwers, even on cars I don't own, so Thank You for that too Bob.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
                      "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Thank you Bob Palma,I received the magazine & your letter today.Will
                        read it tomorrow morning with my coffee.I was happy to see Avantis
                        in there i have a 63 Avanti R2.Dan Miller lives about 20 miles
                        from me,& helps me all the time.Dan received his copy earlier.
                        Sorry you had to send a seperate letter.

Lenny
                        Atlanta Ga.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lenny R2

Thank you Bob Palma,I received the magazine & your letter today.Will
                          read it tomorrow morning with my coffee.I was happy to see Avantis
                          in there i have a 63 Avanti R2.Dan Miller lives about 20 miles
                          from me,& helps me all the time.Dan received his copy earlier.
                          Sorry you had to send a seperate letter.

Lenny
                          Atlanta Ga.
                          Thanks [u]very much </u> for the confirmation, Lenny; I was concerned. There's no reason yours should have taken so long, but at least it got there. It looks like all copies sent have been received; good news considering how much they cost![:0]

I got my regular subscription copy (as a subscriber, not writer) in today's mail -November 20th- so those of you with ordinary subscriptions to Collectible Automobile should be getting this issue presently. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Bob,

I've subscriber to CA for 20 years and got mine today. Great article and a fine cover picture. Should be a real education for those not versed in Studes.

Frank Philippi

Comment

I got mine today and it is more that I had hoped for.

And even an Avanti on the cover.

I like the phrase on the cover.

Golden Hawks to Goin' Larks:
                              High-Powered Studebakers of the Fifties and Sixties

Leonard Shepherd
                              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I got mine (thanks to the wife, gift subscription renewal for my birthday last month!) this week and am LOVING it!

Great work, Bob!

Now, if y'all will excuse me, I'll finish reading that article for the fourth time ...

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
                                Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Working...
                                X