Early 1963 JTS Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 1963 JTS Cars

I also posted this question on the Yahoo Groups Jet Thrust News.

I own an Ermine White 4spd 1963 Hawk that has engine #JTS1008. The serial number is 63V1620 and body number 154. I have often wondered since the Jet Thrust engine serial numbers started at 1005 what cars had engine numbers 1005, 1006 and 1007. I ordered the build sheet and the car was built in August of 1962.

Thank you for any info.

1957 Packard Clipper
    1958 Golden Hawk
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1963 R2 Daytona
    1963 R2 GT Hawk
    1963 R1 Wagonaire
    1963 R4 Avanti
    1964 Champ
    1966 Cruiser

I can't put my hands on the 63 JT list, maybe Bob Palma ??

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I can't put my hands on the 63 JT list, maybe Bob Palma ??

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

From "The List:"

JTS1005: Silver Mist Daytona hardtop, 4-speed, VIN: 63V1372

JTS1006: Champagne Gold Hawk, 4-speed, VIN: 63V1640

JTS1007: Regal Red Lark Regal 2-door, Flightomatic, VIN 63V2757

Interestingly, Engines 1008, 1009, and 1010 were used before Engine #1007.[:0] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

From "The List:"

JTS1005: Silver Mist Daytona hardtop, 4-speed, VIN: 63V1372

JTS1006: Champagne Gold Hawk, 4-speed, VIN: 63V1640

JTS1007: Regal Red Lark Regal 2-door, Flightomatic, VIN 63V2757

Interestingly, Engines 1008, 1009, and 1010 were used before Engine #1007.[:0] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What I find interesting Bob is that the serial number on my car, 63V1620, is earlier than the serial number on the Champange Gold R2 Hawk which had serial number 63V1640. Do you think there is a reason for that?

1957 Packard Clipper
            1958 Golden Hawk
            1963 Daytona Convertible
            1963 R2 Daytona
            1963 R2 GT Hawk
            1963 R1 Wagonaire
            1963 R4 Avanti
            1964 Champ
            1966 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael
              What I find interesting Bob is that the serial number on my car, 63V1620, is earlier than the serial number on the Champange Gold R2 Hawk which had serial number 63V1640. Do you think there is a reason for that?
              The reason is, the sequential body number is just the sequence the main body-shell was welded up... then put in the warehouse. They were not always pulled from the warehouse "in-numerical-order".. They just went and pulled the easiest body to get to. I'm pretty sure the serial numbers were also installed after the body was welded-up. They were certainly installed before the body went to the paint line. So, they weren't exactly in-order.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
              Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
              Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

1957 Packard Clipper
                1958 Golden Hawk
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1963 R2 Daytona
                1963 R2 GT Hawk
                1963 R1 Wagonaire
                1963 R4 Avanti
                1964 Champ
                1966 Cruiser
                Studebaker did not make any attempt to make sure that engines and bodies were used in chronological order. Vehicles were built and serial numbers were assigned in order, but bodies and engines were pulled from stock from whatever was on hand. It was not at all unusual for engines and bodies to be installed out of order.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

1957 Packard Clipper
                  1958 Golden Hawk
                  1963 Daytona Convertible
                  1963 R2 Daytona
                  1963 R2 GT Hawk
                  1963 R1 Wagonaire
                  1963 R4 Avanti
                  1964 Champ
                  1966 Cruiser
                  Studebaker did not make any attempt to make sure that engines and bodies were used in chronological order. Vehicles were built and serial numbers were assigned in order, but bodies and engines were pulled from stock from whatever was on hand. It was not at all unusual for engines and bodies to be installed out of order.

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Sure, Michael; the reason is simple, and to be expected: There was no reason to use numbered production line sub-assemblies (bodies, engines, transmissions) in the exact sequential order they were stamped. Generally speaking, low-numbered components will be in lower-serial numbered cars, but that's about it.

Example: "The line" needs an R2 engine for your Hawk's chassis as the chassis comes down the line. Let's say there were seven R2 engine sub-assemblies sitting over there in the production-line storage area (boy, what a neat picture to imagine, eh?) ready to be swung over and into a chassis.

There was simply no reason, none whatsoever, for the guy with the big hook on an overhead crane, to take the time to look at each of the stamped numbers on those seven engines and make sure he plucked the very lowest-number engine for your car. Because there was no reason to do so, he sure wasn't about to do it!

This extends to all numbered components, as I said; even bodies. For example, the 1964 convertible I bought from Leonard Shepherd last fall carries body #158. Now, you would think that the convertible built right before mine would be body #157, right?

Wrong. It wasn't; the convertible built right before mine was built with convertible body #146! (Not #156, but, really, #146!)

You'd find this to be true for transmissions as well, but few people in the Studebaker hobby take the time to compare transmission serial numbers to dates of production; this isn't Corvette-land [:0], you know! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

That's what I love about Studebakers. You learn something new all the time!!

1957 Packard Clipper
                      1958 Golden Hawk
                      1963 Daytona Convertible
                      1963 R2 Daytona
                      1963 R2 GT Hawk
                      1963 R1 Wagonaire
                      1963 R4 Avanti
                      1964 Champ
                      1966 Cruiser

Comment

That's what I love about Studebakers. You learn something new all the time!!

1957 Packard Clipper
                        1958 Golden Hawk
                        1963 Daytona Convertible
                        1963 R2 Daytona
                        1963 R2 GT Hawk
                        1963 R1 Wagonaire
                        1963 R4 Avanti
                        1964 Champ
                        1966 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie
                          Yep! Pulled from stock when required... Appears color took priority over body number according to the caption.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie
                            Yep! Pulled from stock when required... Appears color took priority over body number according to the caption.

Craig

Comment

Very neat Pic Craig! Even though it was on grainy paper and or enlarged a bit much, you can clearly see what is happening here.

Six Ply Tires (Tyres? how DO the British spell that?)!

One would think the car they are building is a Desert car prototype, or export car!

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X