Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 at Old Studebaker Dealership

Hello All:
    It was a beautiful day here on Long Island, so I took the M5 out for cruise along the north fork. I couldn't resist stopping by the defunct Studebaker dealer in Riverhead.

The Studebaker emblems on both sides of the building remain in excellent shape, and since it was a weekend the current business was closed. This afforded me the opportunity to take a couple of quick pics and walk around the area a bit.

Nice day, a peaceful ride, life is good.

Regards-
    John Stine
    '46 M5 Pickup

Thats a TW's cover shot

Nice truck you have there

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
    1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Neat picture. I would like to see a picture when it was a Studebaker dealership.

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Neat picture. I would like to see a picture when it was a Studebaker dealership.

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Great photo John! [^][8D]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Great photo John! [^][8D]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Richard Quinn will have one Leonard. I believe he has over 17,000 photos in his collection.

John Clements
              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
              Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
              Lockleys South Australia
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I believe that building is now a daycare center for the handicapped. Nice to see they preserved it, so well.

Bob Johnstone

http://www.studebaker-info.org
                55 President State Sedan
                64 GT Hawk
                70 Avanti (R3)
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

is there any old Stude dealership buildings left in the Indy area that would still look like they did in the old days?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Radsman

is there any old Stude dealership buildings left in the Indy area that would still look like they did in the old days?

Very much so, Don:

1. The auto repair facility at 3815 East Tenth Street is virtually unchanged from the days it was Roy Gale Motors and, later until the end, Childers Studebaker. The building is in good shape, too. Seriously, it would be difficult to imagine an extant Studebaker Dealership Building looking as well-preserved yet unmolested in terms of remodeling, as does 3815 East Tenth Street.

2. Finishmasters at 923 North Meridian street looks very much like it did when it was Studebaker of Indianapolis, formerly Charlie Stuart Studebaker. The showroom windows have been blocked in, but it is otherwise almost untouched.

3. It's my understanding that the current SAAB dealership on West 16th Street was once Bob Phillips Studebaker, but he went out of business just a couple months before I landed here, at age 16, in July 1962.

4. The strip center south of the MAACO Paint Shop north of West 30th Street and Lafayette Road was also said to house Bob Phillips, and I have seen a 1961 photo in Studebaker News that verifies that building being Bob Phillips Studebaker, probably after he moved from the current SAAB dealer location mentioned above.

5. The only building of which there is no trace is Snider Studebaker at 38th and Illinois Street. It was leveled to become the McDonald's parking lot, and there isn't as much as one brick left of that facility!

Cheers. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Google map has street views of 3815 East Tenth Street - looks kind of residential

There is an elegant multistory building with what look to be blocked of overhead doors that is a block or 2 north of what Googel thinks is 923 North Meridian

Comment

That's a really great shot, and a beautiful pickup, John!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard
                        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan Timberlake

Google map has street views of 3815 East Tenth Street - looks kind of residential
                          Dan: That area is "fairly residential," but there are many small, really small businesses; dry cleaner, ice cream shop, liquor store, etc.

The building that housed those Studebaker dealerships, while small by today's standards, was one of the larger buildings / facilities in the area back then...still is, as a matter of fact. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Leonard:
                            I dont have a photo of the dealership when it was active in the Studebaker days, but I did find one I took in January 2007 of the front of the building. It has since been rented.

We are fortunate that the landlord keeps the Studebaker emblems and the facade of the building in such good shape.

Regards-
                            John Stine
                            '46 M5 Pickup

Comment

Great pictures.

Randy_G
                              1959 Lark Sedan
                              www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

Working...
                              X