Clear All

• Quite a description- ebay '64 Avanti

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-....c0.m245.l1317

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Sounds like a story embellished over the years. BTW, the stripes will kill the bidding, even with the interesting tale. I'd love to see the build sheet just for kicks.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes, John, when I was reading the story I was wondering why they never got a build sheet in 40 years and then near the end he states that he has the build sheet. I am going to guess that the build sheet does not jive with any of the tales. There is probably a reason that he did not include the build sheet. I will not be bidding on this Avanti.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Yes, John, when I was reading the story I was wondering why they never got a build sheet in 40 years and then near the end he states that he has the build sheet. I am going to guess that the build sheet does not jive with any of the tales. There is probably a reason that he did not include the build sheet. I will not be bidding on this Avanti.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I've got to admit the stripe gives it a very "1964" look to it.

By that I mean in 63, everyone was trying to be JFK-style classy
          like slab-sided Lincolns and Buick Riverias.
          By 1964, evrything had gone "race" style...Mustangs & Cobras were big.

Remember the racing jackets with the stripe on the left side?
          Carroll Shelby and Dan Gurney always seemed to be wearing one.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I've got to admit the stripe gives it a very "1964" look to it.

By that I mean in 63, everyone was trying to be JFK-style classy
            like slab-sided Lincolns and Buick Riverias.
            By 1964, evrything had gone "race" style...Mustangs & Cobras were big.

Remember the racing jackets with the stripe on the left side?
            Carroll Shelby and Dan Gurney always seemed to be wearing one.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

If the stripes were re-painted after the clear coat, as he said, they could possibly be removed. The fit of the doors hood and trunk is very good and the car looks "wholesome" ( used car guy term, right bams?). I'm bewildered by the interior though, mainly the thick seats being fawn not black! Maybe the dealer swapped them with another car to sell this one or the one the fawn seats came out of. Not an uncommon practice years ago.

In fact, I'm 99% sure the dealer that sold my car originally converted it to an R1 to sell it or another one in stock that the customer wanted made into an R2.

He should have started the bidding lower and set his reserve at 10K.

ErnieR

Comment

"Wholesome?" That's one I've never heard, Ernie! I'll add that to my repertoire

Strictly looking at the listing as a buyer, I was turned off by the text; WAY too wordy. I think it's a turnoff to plenty of buyers- doesn't instill trust. I think it's best to start with the facts, add the car's best attributes, and see where you are. If it's not too long, fill it out with a little salesmanship if you like.

Another turnoff- tiny text! I have perfect vision up close, and had no problem reading it. But how many that can't would give up and move on?

I started reading, but when the yarn-spinning started going over the top, I quickly got bored, skimmed a little, then lost interest.

Good stories are almost always fun and entertaining to read. For me, the one exception is when it's trying to sell me something[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I agree 100% on the text so much so I didn't read it all. I slowed at "adreneline rush" and ground to a halt soon after to look at pictures.

I picked up "wholesome" from a couple of wholesalers I sold to in the 80's when I managed a Buick store. Lots of "wholesome" grandma and grandpa trades there. My wife still uses it once and awhile, see gets a kick out of used car lingo.

I said that about the car because, other than the stripe, it looks like it was well preserved and not messed with ( like I've done to my car ). The trans issue is probably not an issue just an adjustment of the control rod and with a set of JP's carpets and some finesse work on the paint and it would make a nice driver.
                  ErnieR

Comment

I agree 100% on the text so much so I didn't read it all. I slowed at "adreneline rush" and ground to a halt soon after to look at pictures.

I picked up "wholesome" from a couple of wholesalers I sold to in the 80's when I managed a Buick store. Lots of "wholesome" grandma and grandpa trades there. My wife still uses it once and awhile, see gets a kick out of used car lingo.

I said that about the car because, other than the stripe, it looks like it was well preserved and not messed with ( like I've done to my car ). The trans issue is probably not an issue just an adjustment of the control rod and with a set of JP's carpets and some finesse work on the paint and it would make a nice driver.
                    ErnieR

Comment

I kinda like the stripey goodness, but I'd move it over and run it where the power bulge is...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard
                      http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                      www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I kinda like the stripe too.

And I really like this picture. []

Also, I've seen an old factory photo from 1963, that had the '63 models side by side. IIRC, there was a convertible, Wagonaire, Daytona HT Skytop, and an Avanti. All where white, with a dark racing stripe. Anyone else know the picture?

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I'm with Clark. I like the stripe, just think I'd like it better offset to the driver's side[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I'm with Clark. I like the stripe, just think I'd like it better offset to the driver's side[8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I recall a few cars with stripes in some of my magazine test reports.

JDP/Maryland
                              "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                              Thomas Jefferson
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X