possible Studebaker swap page scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible Studebaker swap page scam

I had a wanted ad on the Studebaker swap page a couple of weeks ago. Today I got this E-mail.I am fairly certain this guy's name is not Alan Hatcher and that he isn't English. If I am wrong then I will definitely owe him an apology. Anyway here is the e-mail as I received it. Just wanted to know if anyone else is getting them and to say be careful.

"Hello Compliment of the season,I am Alan Hatcher from Uk,...I saw your wanted ads Listed on this web ..do you still need it ..I have it for sale and in good Sound condition,please I only need a serious buyer,because I have much Emails from unserious buyers and please if you are one of them..Don,t Bother to write me.,as soon as I hear from you I will email you more Details and pictures +asking price and.I accept payment by international money order,certified bank check,or western union money transfer, let me know if you are still interested..thanks and hope Hearing from you soon...

Phone...009 44 702 4093669

Note.Iship worldwide.i will also need your home address or your postal address to give you the final cost to your doorstep thank"

Don

Plugged in phone number into google and seems like others think this is a scamer.

http://www.tomcc.co.nz/buy_n_sell.htm

Comment

[)]I got the exact same verbage in response to a wanted ad I put on the swap page for a split front seat for my '61 Lark wagon. The guy said he not only had the seat, but also had the gauges and instruments I was looking for...all for 100 british pounds.(not sure how that translates in dollars). I asked for pictures which he promptly sent. He sent me pictures of a '61 Lark wagon which he supposedly was parting out. The only problem was that it definitely was not a parts car AND I had seen the car listed on Ebay fairly recently. I asked about all this "evidence" and his response was that the car had come to him from Canada and that his "Canadian Agent" had possibly listed the car on Ebay without his knowledge. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a scam.<g>[)]

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
      http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

[)]I got the exact same verbage in response to a wanted ad I put on the swap page for a split front seat for my '61 Lark wagon. The guy said he not only had the seat, but also had the gauges and instruments I was looking for...all for 100 british pounds.(not sure how that translates in dollars). I asked for pictures which he promptly sent. He sent me pictures of a '61 Lark wagon which he supposedly was parting out. The only problem was that it definitely was not a parts car AND I had seen the car listed on Ebay fairly recently. I asked about all this "evidence" and his response was that the car had come to him from Canada and that his "Canadian Agent" had possibly listed the car on Ebay without his knowledge. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a scam.<g>[)]

Comment

Live rates at 2008.08.08 01:53:03 UTC
          100.00 GBP = 193.684 USD
          United Kingdom Pounds United States Dollars
          1 GBP = 1.93684 USD 1 USD = 0.516306 GBP

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Good call, Here's a N.Z. website with the same email and phone #. Looks like a world wide issue. My guess is the phone # is just a generic number picked from the blue. http://www.tomcc.co.nz/buy_n_sell.htm

Comment

Good call, Here's a N.Z. website with the same email and phone #. Looks like a world wide issue. My guess is the phone # is just a generic number picked from the blue. http://www.tomcc.co.nz/buy_n_sell.htm

Comment

try......spam@uce.gov

This is a site I send all of my questionable emails to... your taxes and U.S. government at work.

Be sure to include the "header" by going to "file" then "properties" and then "details". The feds will want the "details" sent to pursue any suspect any where in the world. Copy and paste the "details" on the questionable email and forward it to the government. That's it.

BRAD

Comment

Be sure to see the "scamming a scammer" thread on the Stove- Hugger's page- a GREAT read![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Got an email from this guy tonight. Seems he has a part for everyone. Don't send money!!
                    Joe

Comment

Got an email from this guy tonight. Seems he has a part for everyone. Don't send money!!
                      Joe

Comment

I wonder if he has the Lark muffler bearings...?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I wonder if he has the Lark muffler bearings...?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Yep, I have received two e-mails from him so far today..

George
                            Grants Pass, Oregon
                            65 Commander 2door
                            64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
                            63 Champ
                            63 GT Hawk
                            51 Champion Starlight Coupe
                            George King
                            Grants Pass, Oregon
                            64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

[)]Well, I thought I'd play along with him for a bit. He send this tonight:"Thanks for your email, total package to your doorstep will be 150GBP ,payment is by western union money transfer,as soon as your payment is receive,i will call my mechanic to get the parts pullout, i will ship with insurance to your doorstep and i will email you the shipping tracking numbers

For payment ,you are to go to any western union agent close to you and give them my name and address below

Receiver name... Alan Hatcher

Address........ 13 Gladstone Road, Broadstairs, Kent CT10 2JB, England

As soon as the payment is transfer,you are to email me the following details

Sender name
                              Address
                              Mtcn numbers
                              Exact money sent

As soon as i get this information,,i will ship the parts to your doorstep and i will email you the shipping tracking numbers thanks and is nice doing business with you

Best regards
                              Alan Hatcher"
                              Now I think I'll suggest that he send it COD and see what his reply is [)]

Comment

Working...
                              X