Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production record question

Hello Group,

The following information is from the production record for our car, Grace -- a 1954 Commander Starliner (5H-K5):

Serial No. - 837656I
    Engine No. - V308520
    Body No. - 4325
    Date Written - 05/21/54
    Sales Order No. - SB 6813
    Line No. - 687
    Factory Order No. - 42069
    Ign. Key No. - 045
    Trunk Key No. - 1071
    Final Assy. Date - 06/02/54
    Destination - Los Angeles Calif (Westerlund)
    Ship Via - Cust
    Paint 2519 Azure (sic) Lance
    Trim 8012 Grn 112
    Auto Trans
    White Sidewalls
    Axle ratio 3.54
    Wet Air Cleaner
    AC 2631 Climatizer
    AC 2492 Discs
    AC 2311 Lighter
    Tinted Glass
    Service for retail del. June 13th

Can anyone explain the reference to Westerlund in the destination line, the Trim 8012, and the Ship Via - Cust?

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

Can't help on the trim, but my guess is that Westerlund was the dealer that sold the car (or maybe the name of the customer) and intended to pick it up at the Los Angeles factory. The clue is the "Service for retail del. June 13th" which means the LA factory was to do the prep work that dealers usually did, in order that the car could be driven away on that date.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Hi Skip,

Would Studebaker ship a completed car to the Los Angeles factory for the customer to pick up? That might explain the "Ship Via - Cust" line.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
      Hummelstown, PA

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
      Grantville, PA

Comment

Hi Skip,

Would Studebaker ship a completed car to the Los Angeles factory for the customer to pick up? That might explain the "Ship Via - Cust" line.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
        Hummelstown, PA

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
        Grantville, PA

Comment

Without looking it up (dangerous), this appears to be a South Bend, not Vernon, assembled car. I think that the car was picked up in South Bend by the customer. That is why it was prepped for retail delivery and shipping via cust. I think that Westerlund was the selling dealer in Los Angeles. It seems that if the customer was going to pick up a car in LA or Vernon, the car would be built in Vernon. I think that for some reason, this buyer wanted to pick up a new car in South Bend and drive it to California.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Hi Gary,

I checked at Randall Glover's Studebaker dealer listing, and Westerlund is not there -- which doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have been told (or maybe I just assumed it) that the Sales Order No. prefix of SB designated South Bend. The trunk was painted gray, and John Bridges' book, Studebaker's Finest says that indicates a South Bend car as Vernon-assembled cars had the trunk painted body color.

Could additional information be gleaned from the sales order?

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
            Hummelstown, PA

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
            Grantville, PA

Comment

Hi Gary,

I checked at Randall Glover's Studebaker dealer listing, and Westerlund is not there -- which doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have been told (or maybe I just assumed it) that the Sales Order No. prefix of SB designated South Bend. The trunk was painted gray, and John Bridges' book, Studebaker's Finest says that indicates a South Bend car as Vernon-assembled cars had the trunk painted body color.

Could additional information be gleaned from the sales order?

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
              Hummelstown, PA

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
              Grantville, PA

Comment

Alan - I was calling it a South Bend assembled car based on the serial number. I was doing it by memory. Someone with the books handy can either verify this or prove my memory incorrect (happens once in a while <G&gt.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Alan - I was calling it a South Bend assembled car based on the serial number. I was doing it by memory. Someone with the books handy can either verify this or prove my memory incorrect (happens once in a while <G&gt.

You are correct, Gary...837656I is a South Bend assembled car.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree that it's a SB-built car. I misread the serial number ID table. I agree with Gary -- the customer must have wanted to drive it to LA (or wherever).

Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Trying to figure out why it wouldn't designate "drive away" or "customer pick up" instead of spelling out the word "destination" as "custom" if the new owner had planned to drive it from South Bend. Why wouldn't that just be an order for a custom truck delivery instead of a train, or multiple vehicle trailer?

Alan, I see you pointed out the (sic) for the paint color. I'm surprised that lighter wasn't spelled "liter". It usually was. They were expert shortcut texters way ahead of their time! Wish I knew if the 8012 trim code is a level like deluxe, or a fabric type. Is GRN 112 a green vinyl, or a green fabric?

Comment

Trying to figure out why it wouldn't designate "drive away" or "customer pick up" instead of spelling out the word "destination" as "custom" if the new owner had planned to drive it from South Bend. Why wouldn't that just be an order for a custom truck delivery instead of a train, or multiple vehicle trailer?

Alan, I see you pointed out the (sic) for the paint color. I'm surprised that lighter wasn't spelled "liter". It usually was. They were expert shortcut texters way ahead of their time! Wish I knew if the 8012 trim code is a level like deluxe, or a fabric type. Is GRN 112 a green vinyl, or a green fabric?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
                          [
                          I believe that Alan was just highighting the misspelling of the name of the color (it should be Azore). It was not "shortcut" text since both words are the same length.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
                            [
                            I believe that Alan was just highighting the misspelling of the name of the color (it should be Azore). It was not "shortcut" text since both words are the same length.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I'm aware of the proper paint spelling and what he meant. It's been on the forum often. Liter is shorter and to what I was referring, but I always wondered if those misspellings happened on purpose by the same long time employee, or by accident/habit. I asked about those little factory spelling quirks when I had my first window sticker from the P.O. made in '96. Interesting practice. Understandable for time reasons, similar to texting.

Comment

Working...
                              X