Were fins an option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were fins an option?

I'm a little confused about something. I have seen several 57-61 Silver Hawks advertised that do not have tail fins. Were fins an option in those years, or are the cars just being mis-labelled?

To my knowledge, all Hawks of those years all came with fins. If someone knows differently, I'll stand corrected.
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

All 57 to 61 Hawks were built with fins.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The first "Hawks"...1956...did not have fins, except for the small ones on the Golden Hawk.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Fins were added to the fenders first designed for the '53 model year.
          The fender beneath them was virtually unchanged. You'll find it there if you look.
          I believe some "ckd" completely knocked down export models were reassembled without the fins, but I'm no expert.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Rog is correct...
            Many '57-61 Hawks were shipped (overseas mostly) without the fins installed. I know of several examples in Scandanavian countries, South Africa, and Australia- where the fins were not installed on a "new" car.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
            Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by jeryst

"I'm a little confused about something. I have seen several 57-61 Silver Hawks advertised that do not have tail fins. Were fins an option in those years, or are the cars just being mis-labelled?"

Do you mean recently "advertised," as in ebay, or vintage ads? Many of those fins were probably pilfered by 2008, or didn't survive intact on recently advertised cars. When fins went out of style, I know some folks just kept them in the garage and went back to '53 cool.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by jeryst

"I'm a little confused about something. I have seen several 57-61 Silver Hawks advertised that do not have tail fins. Were fins an option in those years, or are the cars just being mis-labelled?"

Do you mean recently "advertised," as in ebay, or vintage ads? Many of those fins were probably pilfered by 2008, or didn't survive intact on recently advertised cars. When fins went out of style, I know some folks just kept them in the garage and went back to '53 cool.

Comment

The only way to determine if the fins were "pilfered" or removed by prevuious owners is to get inside the trunk and look for tell-tale filled in holes. All the fins where held in place by T screws and nuts, and once removed there should be about 12 to 15 filled in holes inside the trunk on both sides. On some Hawks the front of where the fins would go on the fender would have a lot of plastic filler or welded up holes.

Some Hawks were exported with fins in the trunk, but I think the holes were pre-drilled. Check with Frank Ambrogio

Comment

The only way to determine if the fins were "pilfered" or removed by prevuious owners is to get inside the trunk and look for tell-tale filled in holes. All the fins where held in place by T screws and nuts, and once removed there should be about 12 to 15 filled in holes inside the trunk on both sides. On some Hawks the front of where the fins would go on the fender would have a lot of plastic filler or welded up holes.

Some Hawks were exported with fins in the trunk, but I think the holes were pre-drilled. Check with Frank Ambrogio

Comment

If the fins can be removed, then that would explain it. I did not know that they were "add-ons".

For example, there is a 58 Silver Hawk in the classified section right now, that looks like it doesnt have the large fins.

Comment

I bought a 1957 Silver Hawk with fins removed. Seller (e-Bay)incorrectly advertised it as a factory option. After recieving information from this Forum, I inspected inside the trunk, found the filled holes from removal of fins. A previous owner apparently liked the finless look and removed fins ( or replaced fenders)and replaced the tail-lights with those from a 1955 or 56 C-K model. Looks as good as if it was originally built this way at factory.

Dennis Maxfield ( Boomer)
                        Lancaster,CA
                        1957 Silver Hawk (finless)

Comment

I bought a 1957 Silver Hawk with fins removed. Seller (e-Bay)incorrectly advertised it as a factory option. After recieving information from this Forum, I inspected inside the trunk, found the filled holes from removal of fins. A previous owner apparently liked the finless look and removed fins ( or replaced fenders)and replaced the tail-lights with those from a 1955 or 56 C-K model. Looks as good as if it was originally built this way at factory.

Dennis Maxfield ( Boomer)
                          Lancaster,CA
                          1957 Silver Hawk (finless)

Comment

Working...
                          X