PEG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEG

Jlmccuan, That's about what I was figuring also. $900 for the uhaul truck and trailer and about $600 for gas. Plus hotels, food, time spent on the road, etc... I just can't do it as cheaply as a pro.
    Another thing, uhaul doesn't approve of inoperable vehicles. Their web page says all tows are subject to inspection. So after jumping through their hoops, they might refuse to let me tow. Penske told me the vehicle is too heavy for their equipment. I find that hard to believe. Anyone know the average weight of a Champ longbed? Seems to me it wouldn't be much over 3500 LBs.
    JDP, I'll see what I can get from Peg, discountwise. She's very prompt with her email replies, which I apprecieate. I also mentioned my membeship here and your name and Bams too.
    She's got some issues about my truck's steerability and whether it can roll and brake. I told her we pulled it onto and off of a car trailer with a pickup. Didn't have any problems. So hopefully...
    My only other realistic option is flatbed service. I'm not sure but it may not be realistic, pricewise. Thanks for the input everyone. Kevin

1963 Champ

I went to the uhaul down the street to get a truck and trailer and they said I cant pick up and drop off to the same location. When I told him a big box truck and car hauler was to much a gas hog he said the pickup and tow dolly were for city use only and would check milage. So I thought I would take the bus and pick up the box truck and trailer down there and bring it back he said reservations are ok what you haulin? 55 commander. sorry its to heavy, but he looked at me cross eyed when I told him ooops my mistake its a ford crown vic oh ok thats in the system. thats $489.00 and with 180 in fuel I said no. So I drove down took the stude to the parts house spent 6 hrs going over everything in the parking lot, had firestone put on the tires I brought and away I drove my new/antique stude. That was the second time my wife went with me to pick up something of a chore to get home. She may not next time, I thought it was fun. Guess my wife looked at it the same as the guy at uhaul.

My 1955 Commander

AKA Burnie

Comment

Sounds right. U-Haul has gotten almost impossible to use.

Years ago I had a tow dolly and literally wore it down to almost nothing. I got rid of it when I got my rollback, thinking I wouldn't use it anymore. I found myself frequently renting or borrowing a dolly rather than drive that rollback on a long trek.

Four years ago I bought another dolly, which gets a ton of use. The rollback is used locally, long trips are the dolly and a nice comfortable Conversion Van.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I've done quite a bit of research now. Uhaul won't rent a pickup or cargo van one way. Theier smallest box truck is 10 FT and you can tow with it. Louisiana to upstate NY $900.00 with 1600 free miles.
        Penske's smallest truck with towing capacity is the 16 FT box truck. Yhay came to about $850.00.
        Looks like PEG's is the way to go at $1100.00. With gas and all, I can't touch the price by doing it myself. I just hope I can alleviate their concerns about the Stoogebaker's ability to roll, steer and brake.

1963 Champ

Comment

Kevin, what's your time frame? You might give this broker a try; I had a quote for a (running) Stude from TX to NY this Spring of about $700. I didn't end up with the car, so I didn't use the shipper that bid, so I don't have any review; but the site was easy to use. Just put in the details, and you should start getting quotes within an hour or so:

http://www.haulingdepot.com/

Also- Guido put me onto this site; it was successful in finding me a LTL (less than load) deal that got my M-16 grain truck here from MN for just over $800! Might be worth a post f you have time; again, you should get several quotes pretty quickly:

http://yesterdaystractors.com/

Look down the left column under "Community" and click on "Hauling Schedule". Good luck!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Kevin, what's your time frame? You might give this broker a try; I had a quote for a (running) Stude from TX to NY this Spring of about $700. I didn't end up with the car, so I didn't use the shipper that bid, so I don't have any review; but the site was easy to use. Just put in the details, and you should start getting quotes within an hour or so:

http://www.haulingdepot.com/

Also- Guido put me onto this site; it was successful in finding me a LTL (less than load) deal that got my M-16 grain truck here from MN for just over $800! Might be worth a post f you have time; again, you should get several quotes pretty quickly:

http://yesterdaystractors.com/

Look down the left column under "Community" and click on "Hauling Schedule". Good luck!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Thanks Bob, I'll check them both out.

1963 Champ

Comment

Thanks Bob, I'll check them both out.

1963 Champ

Comment

Working...
                X