Could be a soft market ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could be a soft market ?

Might just be a fluke, but my 60 Lark convert sold for a bit over 11K, and way under what I would have predicted since I'd sold similar hardtops for more.
    I broke even on the deal without my labor considered, but I'll have to consider that when I buy my next car. I felt I was in good shape putting 11K in the car, but misjudged this one.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Can't win on all of them and I will agree with the soft market part. It seems that most people are hanging on to what money they have. People need money for unexpected things that come up. Just this afternoon, I spent thousands for an unexpected sewer line repair. As you know, I lost money on the last couple of Studebakers that I sold. I guess that I misjudged a falling market also.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I guess you can never gauge the market, the two T cabs I just sold went for double my best guess, but the convert just died. In hindsight, I should have set a reserve to cover my labor, and relisted it, but who knows ?

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I guess you can never gauge the market, the two T cabs I just sold went for double my best guess, but the convert just died. In hindsight, I should have set a reserve to cover my labor, and relisted it, but who knows ?

JDP/Maryland
        Thomas Jefferson
        I thought that convert. was really nice and would have expected it to go for more. Could the color have been the culprit here?

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Maybe, or the Cragar's since I had a few requests to install the stock wheels if they won. The car is going to a good home in Toronto at least.

JDP/Maryland
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I kind of figured it was the color ...bet if it was ' 60 yellow you would of added a few grand on it

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
            1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Maybe, or the Cragar's since I had a few requests to install the stock wheels if they won. The car is going to a good home in Toronto at least.

JDP/Maryland
              Thomas Jefferson
              I loved the Cragar's on that car. The green color was not a problem for me either, but some folks just may not have liked that so much. My biggest problem with the car was the lack of funds that prevented me from going after it. The Champ and the Cruiser both need to be attended to. Oh well.....

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

I certainly don't claim to be an expert, but I am constantly watching the market for Lark-types; and I don't think it was necessarily a soft market- I just think that was all the money for that car. Nice piece, no doubt about it- but I was comparing it to recent similar sales and current for-sales. For it was model, body type, condition, presentation, known seller. Against it was month (vacations, back-to-school coming up), jitters abot economy and gas prices, fear of shipping costs, and possibly color. I don't think wheels hurt, since stockers were included.

Personally, taking everything into consideration, I would have been very happy to pay that much; but I wouldn't feel it was a steal.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Might just be a fluke, but my 60 Lark convert sold for a bit over 11K, and way under what I would have predicted since I'd sold similar hardtops for more.
                  I agree. I think the market would be a bit higher for a nice convertible like that. But then again, I am somewhat biased becasue I own one.

Jeff

Comment

yeah, why couldn't JDP have made his money on the convert and had a hard time finding buyers for those trucks?

nate

(well, he wouldn't have had a hard time, really...)

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

" Cause trucks rule !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
                      1960 Champ
                      1964 Daytona HT
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I don't believe the market is "soft"...and it's hard to determine that from one sale. Like JP said, he got more for the trucks than expected.

I liked the convert, but I think the color and the wheels limited the buyers. You can always say that stock wheels, tires, and covers are included, but there is no substitution for actually having them on the car for the photo shoot. A lot of buyers have a limited imagination .

The '60 I sold a couple of months ago for $17.5 or so had a bunch of flaws as pointed out in this forum, but it was the RIGHT color combo (white with red interior)...and LOOKED stock, even though it had the wrong deck lid, wrong tires wrong interior, etc.

As JP well knows, you can't win them all ...but he wins his share [8D].

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Maybe that would have gone a little higher in the spring with the stock wheels and whites on it and the Cragars offered separately, or maybe photos taken with both styles to make it more intriguing to both sides of the imagination impaired; not sure. That had so much done to it before your hard work, JP, that it's strange it didn't pull more. Very thorough ebay description and photo display. Weird. That's one that may have done better to end the auction early and to have waited for Lancaster to catch the Stude fever crowd. That's a 20/20 armchair quarterback viewpoint, though.

Comment

I thought it was a great looking Lark. I was amazed when I saw what it went for. The market must have gone south. Go figure.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                              I liked the convert, but I think the color and the wheels limited the buyers. You can always say that stock wheels, tires, and covers are included, but there is no substitution for actually having them on the car for the photo shoot. A lot of buyers have a limited imagination .

Dick Steinkamp
                              Yep; what Dick said. The car was cute, but there are just so many buyers who will buy a green convertible. Ask Kermit the Frog; "it ain't easy being green!"

I'd have to go back and recheck, but IIRC, Horizon Green was the rarest color on 1964 Daytona Convertibles....thank goodness.[:0]

A couple years ago, a local insurance agent put me in touch with the original owner of a 1959 Cadillac convertible; monster fins and all. They needed a written appraisal for the files; he wasn't selling the car. The car was fairly nice overall, and he really had bought it early in 1960 as a left-over. Pretty cool.
                              But it was light metallic green, in and out. I knicked him about 5% on the appraisal for the color and he went through the roof; "Why, I've always liked that color! You never see 'em that color!"

Yeah, well, there's a reason for that... BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X