Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I picked up my car today and also joined the club.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guido
    replied
    I still have the original one in my '49 2R17A fire truck, but it is not nearly as nice as yours.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Leave a comment:

• 50Champ
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Wow Dave! That thing's a sweetheart! I'm envious.[]
    Thank you. I took it to a cruise in Louisville tonight sponsored by a local Mustang club. There were over 100 cars there and I had the only Studebaker. My car seems to attract a lot more old guys than young ones, which is fine with me because each one has their own interesting stories. (By the way I'm 56 so I'm not exactly young either.) One guy about 80 used to work at the South Bend plant and both his and his wife's fathers retired from there. They all either owned one or knew someone who did, and I must have heard "they were way ahead of their time" at least 10 times. Last week I took 3 big picture frames and put several things in them, including the original bill of sale, a picture of Roy Gale Motors in Indianapolis, some facts about the car, the story of how I came to buy it, 8 old magazine ads, etc. I display them along with an original shop manual and owner's manual on a card table and people seem to enjoy them too. This car definitely attracts a lot more attention than any of the other classics that I've owned in the past. Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful Studebaker information.

Here's another picture of something else that I think is fairly rare-the original specs card on the inside of the glove box door....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

[/quote]

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Wow Dave! That thing's a sweetheart! I'm envious.[]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

Leave a comment:

• Ricardo
    replied
    http://www.tuerca.cl/studebakerchile/

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    Dave, welcome to the group and the SDC. Now why not plan to attend your first SDC Internation Meet this fall in Lancaster PA? The little CHAMP will make it just fine and I guarantee that you will have a great time and meet many of the people on this site that have welcomed you with open arms. All that you need to know can be found right here
    Code:
    www.sdcmeet.com
    Questions? E-mail me off line.

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Studebaker Wheel: You should know the answer to that, I'm guessing. Any idea?

Leave a comment:

• 50Champ
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by raprice

50 Champ,
    The Spanish on the serial number plate is marca registrata (Trade mark). It also says in Spanish "made in the U.S.A.)
    Good luck with the car. It's a beaut!
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Yo hablo poquito Espanol but my question is WHY is it in Spanish? There was no "political correctness" back then like there is now. Someone else asked if it was intended to be shipped to a different country. Could that be the reason? Are all body tags from 1950 printed like this? [?][?][?]

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    I also add my congrats! I enjoy saving derelicts; and I'm currently doing a long-term resto... I'll still go on a rescue mission; but my next serious buy will be a nice, ready driver- hopefully as good as yours!

Great car, great story. Thanks for sharing it- and thanks to BP for adding even more interest! Thumbs up all around[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Leave a comment:

• raprice
    replied
    50 Champ,
    The Spanish on the serial number plate is marca registrata (Trade mark). It also says in Spanish "made in the U.S.A.)
    Good luck with the car. It's a beaut!
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    quote:very nice car. I have to ask.....what were/are the clothes pins for on the fuel line?

Just in case.
    Heat sink (disapator) Anyone.
    Yes, exactly. More like insulation on the fuel line from the heat of the engine. The problem was even worse when they went to the V-8. The fuel pump was right on top of the engine and to make matters worse, the glass fuel bowl was within an inch of the block! Talk about a tea kettle![8] By the by, I've used this method with my Larks as well. They aren't immune from the problem.

Dave, wonderful car.
    You know, I almost moved to Mooresville... Still wish...

Oh, almost forgot: love the Rambler, she's a gem too!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Great first Stude purchase, Dave. One of my favorite colors, too. Even nicer that BP had the skinny on the history of that rare find. Looks like it was lovingly kept by the previous two owners. Looks perfect in that garage. The new car on the left, unlike mine, will never be asked about by neophytes if it's a Rambler or not.

One question that you had asked that I am interested in as well, concerns the body tag with the apparent South American destination on it. Is it possible that it was intended for export and stayed here, or was it shipped and assembled somewhere else and found it's way home? Or, were they all like that? Not up on my '50-'51's.

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied
    very nice car. I have to ask.....what were/are the clothes pins for on the fuel line?

Just in case.
    Heat sink (disapator) Anyone.

Chop Stu

Leave a comment:

• 50Champ
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
    And if that spare is not original, I can tell you this, it is as close as you are ever going to find, it should say 6.40X15 I think unless they used 6.00's that year, and most all were Firestone gum dipped Deluxe Champions!
    Yes, it's a 6.40x15, so I guess that means it's probably 58 years old. I know I can't run it with the radials that are on it now but it will look great at car shows. My Rambler is also a 3 on the tree with OD so I know about putting it in reverse when I park it, but when it's sitting on my front lawn the chances of it getting rear-ended are pretty slim. Thanks for the info...........Dave

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    That is a gorgeous car! Glad to see it's going to stay in the SDC. You've got a real beauty there! (I wonder if those are original 1950 clothespins on the fuel line?)

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Dave,
    Great find on the car and congratulations. It looks like a jewel that will be good fun to drive and show off.

sals54

Leave a comment:

Working...
X