Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Windshield Visors Die Out in the Early 50's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Windshield Visors Die Out in the Early 50's?

I've been looking for a vintage/period windshield visor for my 57 Transtar pickup.
    During my Google search the names; Fulton, Hudson, Dieterich and Peckat came up as aftermarket suppliers of visors.
    Most of these however were made for split windshields from the late 40's early 50's.
    I didn't see any reference to visors from the mid-late 50's
    My truck of course does not have a split windshield for the center visor support post. Did they have a center support arm on the roof?

Can anyone tell me what was offered in the late 50's? Or did they die out in the early 50's?

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
    ~Nitram~
    57 Transtar

The 52 Inside Facts book shows a visor.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

You bring up an interesting question. I have seen lots of late 40s early 50s cars and trucks with windshield visors, but did they lose popularity by the later 50s? I guess air conditioning could have effected it some, but at least around here not many cars had a/c until the mid sixties.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

My father had one of those visors installed on my mother's '56 Chevy by the dealer when they bought the car. Yes, it had a centre support that attached to the top edge of the windshield/forward-roof. It was fragile and I remember Dad repairing it several times.

Mum used to complain that she couldn't see the traffic lights in smaller intersections. She would regularly stop very short of the intersections because of this. In the late fifties and onward, tinted windows were offered. Additionally, some had a dark strip added at the top of the windshield. This afforded the same advantage as the external visor. Hence, it's my [u]guess </u> that tinting was the end of the external visor.

By the by, great stuff, Leonard! Thanks for sharing... again!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

My '51 has an original Stude visor. It has a bracket that's sheetmetal screwed to the front edge of the roof. The visor itself is one solid piece of fiberglass

I've seen pictures on this Forum of vehicles with visors with one piece windshields that have a bracket/rod assembly that's attached to the forward edge of the cowl, allowing installation of a Fulton or other two piece visor.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10

My '51 has an original Stude visor.

Here again you are the owner of an early 50's model. Most all the cars I've found with visors are late 40's early 50's.
            Makes me wonder if in the mid to late 50's the visor styling was on its way out. [?]
            Sure would hate to put a visor on my 57 Transtar and look like a real clown.[)]
            Only reason I'm considering putting one on is, not only do I like them, a friend of mine mentioned my C-cab would look good with it on. I had to agree with him. It looks as if something is missing up there.

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
            ~Nitram~
            57 Transtar

Comment

A friend of mine has a 1954 Pontiac that has a Fenton visor and it has a center support that attaches to a fairly large mount on the front of the roof. It appears to be very satable.

Comment

I can't document this, and it's been too long for 'assured memory', but I seem to remember that the factory installed visor on my '50 Land Cruiser had a brace running from the base of the windshield to the top, (3/16 chromed steel rod) with a bracket mounted from it to the visor.

I always wondered how much wind resistance that visor caused, creating a pocket between it and the upper part of the windshield.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                (Under Construction 383 hrs.)
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

I think most visors went away after 1954.
                  The wrap around windshield kinda was the
                  killer.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

I can't document this, and it's been too long for 'assured memory', but I seem to remember that the factory installed visor on my '50 Land Cruiser had a brace running from the base of the windshield to the top, (3/16 chromed steel rod) with a bracket mounted from it to the visor. ...
                    Same brace on the visor on the '47 Commander five-passenger coupe I had. I took it off early on.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                    Museum R-4 engine
                    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Nitram

I've been looking for a vintage/period windshield visor for my 57 Transtar pickup.
                      During my Google search the names; Fulton, Hudson, Dieterich and Peckat came up as aftermarket suppliers of visors.
                      Most of these however were made for split windshields from the late 40's early 50's.
                      I didn't see any reference to visors from the mid-late 50's
                      My truck of course does not have a split windshield for the center visor support post. Did they have a center support arm on the roof?
                      Can anyone tell me what was offered in the late 50's? Or did they die out in the early 50's?
                      You still see visors on some tricked up pickups and large trucks.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                      Museum R-4 engine
                      1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                      1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Well I am sure this is a subject of mixed preferences, and you'all are entitled to yours, but I can't lie, I am very glad they went away in the mid 1950's!

I just cannot stand extraneous gaudy looking "junk" hanging off of cars unless REALLY necessary, and that includes visors, fender skirts, Continental Kits, and Spotlights! [xx(]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I don't know why I didn't come up with this before, but if you own a big rig you can purchase a sunvisor as a an accessory. This link will take you to one such as example(as well as the catalog for the Kenworth sunvisors):
                          In my honest opinion, in conjunction with the other brightwork accessories, it doesn't looks half bad on the big rigs.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                          [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                          [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Nitram

Originally posted by rockne10

My '51 has an original Stude visor.

Here again you are the owner of an early 50's model. Most all the cars I've found with visors are late 40's early 50's.
                            Makes me wonder if in the mid to late 50's the visor styling was on its way out. [?]
                            Sure would hate to put a visor on my 57 Transtar and look like a real clown.[)]
                            Only reason I'm considering putting one on is, not only do I like them, a friend of mine mentioned my C-cab would look good with it on. I had to agree with him. It looks as if something is missing up there.
                            If you put one on, and some purist states, "that wouldn't have been an accessory by 1957", you can point out that the C-cab body style first came out in 1949, and that you got the truck from the original owner, who "pimped it" out in 1957 because he still liked the visors on the first C-cabs he had seen.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
                            Paul Simpson
                            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon
                            Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon
                            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

I agree with DilloCrafter's last comment.

My 51 land Cruiser with a one piece windshield has a visor but I think it's an aftermarket accessory. The underside doesn't match the color of the body. It mounts to the rain gutters at the top corners of the windshield with wide SS clamps and has an adjustable SS rod at the center that connects to a flange mounted at the front of the cowl. The trouble with this mount is the back of the hood rubs against it when you start to raise the hood.

I also have the accessory SS sunscreens for the side windows as shown in lstude's post. I had assumed they were an aftermarket item as well so it was a nice surprise.

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
                              Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                              Jim Mann
                              Victoria, B.C.
                              Canada
                              \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                              Jim Mann
                              Victoria, B.C.
                              Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X