Production numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production numbers

In the last few years of production, it seems that Lark production figures became very non-specific. That is, by 1962 the charts just list "Convertible - 2,681". Prior years at least broke it down by Lark VI or Lark VIII. I'd love to know how rare my '62 Daytona Convertible 259 4-speed is. Does anyone know of any research that breaks down production any further? Or at least know what I can assume for percentages of convertibles that were Daytona vs Regal?
    6 vs 8? And especially what % might have the rare 4-speed?
    Would the Museum research people be able to find that out?
    Thanks.
    Bill

I hear you. Although I have not tried too hard, I too have had a hard time getting production #s of later larks. So far, my search has turned up nil. Good luck, though!!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Comment

Nope, there's no such breakdown. You could sort through all the thousands of production orders, however.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

What "charts" are you referring to?

Have you looked at the Feb 92 issue of TW? It might have a more detailed breakdown.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've seen various sources, but the best chart I've seen is here:

http://carnut.com/specs/gen/stud60.html

I'll have to see if I can locate that issue of TW.

If the Museum would like to send me the production orders, I'll be glad to sort through them.

Bill Jones
          Maunta, NJ

'62 Daytona 4-speed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

What "charts" are you referring to? Have you looked at the Feb 92 issue of TW?
            The older I get ...the better I was! </h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk

Dick, not picking on you, but you just provided another prime example of what we are sorely missing. Realistically, what are the chances of a newbie to this SDC Forum like DaytonaGuy (and maybe a newbie to SDC & Studebakers as well) of having that 16 year old TW issue just laying around to reference???
              Good point. I didn't notice Bill only had a couple of posts. My bad.

Here's the index of TW articles...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tw_index.asp

(it does need to be brought up to date...any volunteers?)

Here's how to order back issues...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tw_backissues.asp

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

To all-

Thanks for the suggestions.
                The TW index looks to be a great reference.

Though I've been in the SDC for about a year now, I am a newbie to the forum. My Lark is getting a cosmetic and mechanical refresh right now. I'm sure I'll be making great use of the forums.

Bill Jones
                Maunta, NJ

'62 Daytona 4-speed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DaytonaGuy

To all-

Thanks for the suggestions.
                  The TW index looks to be a great reference.

Though I've been in the SDC for about a year now, I am a newbie to the forum. My Lark is getting a cosmetic and mechanical refresh right now. I'm sure I'll be making great use of the forums.

Bill Jones
                  Maunta, NJ

'62 Daytona 4-speed
                  Nice-looking car, Bill. Welcome to the forum.

Interestingly, SDC member Howe K. Clark of Danville IN has a convertible identical to yours; same colors and trim, and built as a 259/4-speed!

When Howe rebuilt the engine, however, he rebuilt it to 289 specs, so while it has the original 259 block and numbers, it's now a 289. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That Carnut tally doesn't even acknowledge that there were hardtops built!

Looking at that Feb. '92 TW, Fred Fox states that there's never been anything more than the rather general production figures located for '62 & '63 cars.
                    Naturally, with a bit more than 93K 62s built, counting and tabulating the different ones would be a daunting task!

Besides that, Bill - even if a breakdown of such did exist, it would only reflect V8s or 6s. It wouldn't show a breakdown as to how many of each had what tranny in it.[B)]

The tally of total convertibles reflected in the carnut figures IS in concurrance with the tally in the Feb. '92 TW.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Based on the 60 and 61 percentages, V8s seem to be about 60% of convertible sales. Would anyone care to venture a guess about the % that had a 4-speed? (Keeping in mind that only Daytonas had the option).

By the way what is the accepted survivabilty rate of cars of that era.
                      I've heard numbers like 5-10%.

And on a final note, has the SDC ever considered an on-line registry?
                      Set up properly, it could automatically tally statistics like these.

Bill Jones
                      Maunta, NJ

'62 Daytona 4-speed

Comment

That would help Bill, if we had an accurate count of vehicles and their models & options owned by MEMBERS, however you would not believe how many cars are sitting behind barns, more or less true ORPHANS, waiting to be restored by someone who will not live long enough to do it!

And of course, most are non-members. So we would never get even close to all of the "survivors" counted.

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'll echo what Rich says. I always get a chuckle when I read someone's "facts" that records show there are only ([u]insert number here</u>) of this ([u]insert model name here</u>).

We can certainly speculate as to how many of a particular make and model exist, but unless it's regarding a very limited production model where ALL the cars still survive (or are accurately accounted for as to their fates), a guess is as good as it's gonna get.

The answers you seek are certainly IN that lot of production orders, but 93K to sort thru![xx(]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My 62 Daytona convertible is also a 259 4 speed. All I know is what I got from the build sheet, June 62 production, ect. It would be nice to know how many Daytona & Regal models were made & their breakdown like was done on the G.T. Hawks some years back (although I think that list was limited to R engined Hawks)

60 Lark convertible
                            61 Champ
                            62 Daytona convertible
                            63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2)
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                            X