Newbie Looking for Silver or Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Looking for Silver or Golden Hawk

Hi. I am a new member from western PA. I have always liked the 57-59 Studebaker Silver and Golden Hawks, and am now looking for one. I would like to start with a solid driver as I dont do any type of welding/cutting, etc. I would prefer something in or near PA. I can either buy outright, or I have cars available for trade on a finished, or near finished car. I am not looking for a major project because of health reasons. If anyone knows of a car or has one for sale, please send me an email to discuss. I hope to become an active member of the board, as there seems to be a good group of people here.

Jerry, welcome to the Forum! There's a great group of guys and ladies here, and I'm sure you'll be able to find the car of your dreams. Glad to have you aboard!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks.

I'd appreciate any input anyone can give as to what problem areas or hard to find missing parts to watch out for on these particular cars, as I am pretty much in the dark right now.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

One of our club members met a guy in Pennsylvania that has a 57 Silver Hawk that he wants to sell. I have left a message, but he hasn't called me back. He wants $2,400.00 for the car, but I don't know what condition the engine is in. The owner's phone number is 717-249-7957.

Here are pictures of the car.

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Welcome to the Forum. You could start by doing a search here using key words like Golden Hawk and lots of threads should come up.Attend the National meet in Lancaster PA. would be another place to look to buy a car. September 15th through the 20th are the dates. Go the home page on the leftand access the classifieds, this would be another way to find a car.Joining the Studebaker Drivers Club if you haven't allready is very helpful.

Frank van Doorn
          1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
          1963 Daytona Conv
          1941 Champion R-2 Rod
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Having grown up in western PA, I'd suggest being open to the possiblity of buying a west coast or southern car long distance and having it shipped to you. You'll pay more, of course, but if you hate bodywork that is the only way to fly.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Here is one in Sarver,PA.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/car/749885823.html

Bob Langer
              Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
              Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Hi, Jerry; welcome to the Forum and Studebakers. No one has said it yet, so I'll dive in: You must establish the amount of money you want to spend and allow that to dictate what car you'll ultimately buy.

Your "range" of cars, from a 1957 Golden Hawk to a 1959 Silver Hawk, is a wide one; very wide. It even includes 1957-1959 Silver Hawk sixes, which can be quite reasonable as long as you have no intentions of drag-racing the car.

As it is, your interest in an operable 1957 Silver Hawk six to the nicest 1957 Golden Hawk 400 in the country, gives you a price range of $4,000 to $50,000...or more!

Enjoy surfing here; there will be no shortage of opinions. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why are you excluding the '60 & '61 Hawk from your search? Except for some trim changes, they're basically the same as the Silver Hawks of the 50's.

When I was looking for a 57-61 Hawk, I took advantage of the free ad perk available in Turning Wheels. I placed an ad in the "Cars Wanted" section, I received about 2 dozen responses in 2 months. Many of the cars weren't even advertised as being for sale. Of course, I ended up buying the one that was located the furthest away.

Comment

I wasnt sure if the 60 and 61 were the same. I like the big fins, so of the 60 and 61 are the same, that gives me even more options.

Friend of mone looked at the one in Sarver, and he said it wasnt worth it.

Comment

By the way, what is "Turning Wheels"?

Comment

Turning Wheels is The Studebaker Drivers Club monthly publication and worth the cost of being a member alone. You can join for $19.95 per year the first year, $27.50 after that.

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

By the way, what is "Turning Wheels"?
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If you are interested in a Silver Hawk with a 289 and 4 speed trans, give me an email. I have one in my barn that runs and drives, but does need work. I only need to get $3000 for it. If you want pictures, just let me know. I am in No. CA. This offer goes to anyone else looking also.

sals54
                          sals54

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but it would probably cost me $2K just to get it transported to PA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Welcome to the forum.

One of our club members met a guy in Pennsylvania that has a 57 Silver Hawk that he wants to sell. I have left a message, but he hasn't called me back. He wants $2,400.00 for the car, but I don't know what condition the engine is in. The owner's phone number is 717-249-7957.
                              I called and left a message, but he never returned my call. Probably no longer has the car, and is getting sick of people calling him about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X