X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yes, you know Mark that reminds me that someone needs to interview Chuck Naugle, and tape the conversation! He is one of the Foremost Stude. Truck experts that ever lived! [^] He could tell you about the HUNDREDS of Studes, that he and his Trusty E40 Transtar Earl, drug home!

StudeRich
    Yes, I would love to meet Chuck sometime and talk Stude trucks! [8D][^]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Yes, you know Mark that reminds me that someone needs to interview Chuck Naugle, and tape the conversation! He is one of the Foremost Stude. Truck experts that ever lived! [^] He could tell you about the HUNDREDS of Studes, that he and his Trusty E40 Transtar Earl, drug home!

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Would still love to have access to a Studebaker Truck "Bible" at some point though, as many of those who had the most first hand knowledge are no longer with us.
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    You are both very welcome, I love "messing about" with truck trivia and recognizing that my knowledge is about a mile wide and an inch deep I almost always learn a few new things myself on every thread.

Would still love to have access to a Studebaker Truck "Bible" at some point though, as many of those who had the most first hand knowledge are no longer with us.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    What Bams50 said, Mark and Rich. I'm no expert on Studebaker trucks, and always enjoy reading you guys' detailed posts; interesting and informative. Anybody who can keep with various truck specifications has a tip of my Stetson; individual trucks were so specialized, almost no two alike, as compared with cars.

But trucks are one of the two reasons Studebaker lasted into the 1960s. The other reason was having a V-8 engine. Without V-8s and trucks, Studebaker wouldn't have seen 1959 and the last-gasp Lark that gave us so many of the cars we enjoy today.

Keep up the good work, guys. BP

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yeah Mark that's a good idea, maybe someone can copy all my lengthy detailed Truck posts that nobody cares to read
    You're wrong on that, Rich! I know I appreciate you sharing your extensive knowledge here... only problem for me is, after I read one of your info threads, I'm left realizing how little I still know about Studebakers[:I] So I read, try to absorb a little more, and go on to the next one[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Yeah Mark that's a good idea, maybe someone can copy all my lengthy detailed Truck posts that nobody cares to read, and compile in one properly captioned document and save me the trouble! [}] Lol!

I am not a good enough BS'er like the Worlds Best Studebaker Mechanic is, to write fun to read stuff!

Hmmm, come to think about it, we do have ONE really good writer here that fits that bill perfectly! [}] Non other than the famous Mr. Ed! da-da, da-da!...no, no, no Rich. -Mr. Biggs!

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

I have always felt there was insufficient published material on Studebaker Trucks.cut/
    /cut/Y'know Rich, maybe a few of us should collaborate on a Studebaker "Truck Trivia" book[^] (well maybe when I retire).
    StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    I have always felt there was insufficent published material on Studebaker Trucks... usually a chapter at the back of a whole book dedicated to cars - or something similar. [B)]

Y'know Rich, maybe a few of us should collaborate on a Studebaker "Truck Trivia" book[^] (well maybe when I retire).

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Bob, in those days the DOT requirement was for Class A turn signals on big trucks (1 Ton and over) no obscure little lights hidden in the grille or stone pan like a '64 Lark type car, would do on a serious Truck! They wanted them VISIBLE!

That would be why you see those big round DOT approved Sparton, Signal Stat or Peterson turn signal lights on all makes, and on '53-'55 Stude. Trucks they were on the stone pan above the bumper and on '56-'58 on top of the fender, those years of big trucks even had a matching clear parking light as well as the double faced
    Amber, front/Red, rear turn sig. on the front fender top.

Then as Mark said, Studebaker moved the clear Parking lights into the grille on '59-'62 (Amber on '63-'64) and "big" Trucks still had the Amber/Red fender top turn signals also with a matching pair of Red to the rear/blank forward REAR Turn Signals.

If you had a 1/2 or 3/4 ton '56-'58 "C" Cab you got the Class "B" fender top lights, but with clear lenses front only, and a stainless disc. in the backside to only illuminate forward, and they did have turn & Park lights combined, but no separate Rear turn signals were required, they were optional however.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by bams50

I didn't know they had separate parking lamps- I thought they were combined with the turn signals.

Thanks, Mark!

Robert (Bob) Andrews
    All '59 to '64 C-Cab trucks had parking lamps in the grill. They were small with clear lenses from '59 to '62:

and in '63/4 they were of larger diameter with orange/yellow lenses.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    I didn't know they had separate parking lamps- I thought they were combined with the turn signals.

Thanks, Mark!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by bams50

Just wondering- what are the 2 objects in the grille? Are they factory-installed?

Robert (Bob) Andrews
    The parking lamps?

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Just wondering- what are the 2 objects in the grille? Are they factory-installed?

Parish, central NY 13131

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    Does anyone know who did buy the truck? Just curious.Steve

Leave a comment:

• 289stude
    replied
    Yeh that truck doesn't move very often, it mostly sits in the drive until I need it. Well I need it this weekend, and didn't realize the inspection was up. Otherwise I'd do most of the work myself.

John

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Wow John, I'll "LOOK AT IT" for ya for a lot less, say maybe $1000.00?

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

Working...
X