60 Transtar dump truck auction in KS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Transtar dump truck auction in KS

Found this auction for what looks like a pretty nice old dump truck.Unfortunately KS is half a world away from here.Someone should grab this one if it goes cheap.Steve
    http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/au...510&category=0
    sigpic

Oh Man! [][8D] That's a neat truck - and being a 1960, a rare one as well.
    2 days to bid, but it's in Kansas...[xx(][B)][8]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I see it's in Cawker City, where the world's largest ball of twine resides.

Chris Pile
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Yes,if it was closer I would check on it but Kansas in two days is out of the question.The seller marked a lot of stuff N/A on the auction sheet (like brakes,and marked the box for oil consumption) that I would want to know about before I would be interested.Certainly seems like the right kind of truck though.Steve
        sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

Yes,if it was closer I would check on it but Kansas in two days is out of the question.The seller marked a lot of stuff N/A on the auction sheet (like brakes,and marked the box for oil consumption) that I would want to know about before I would be interested.Certainly seems like the right kind of truck though.Steve
          A bit of a gamble all right, but it's an online auction, so you can register and bid without attending. It was at $1800 when I last checked. I would be interested if I had somewhere to put it. [B)]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Mark; doesn't that Serial plate look a LOT more like [u]6</u>E40, than [u]5</u>E40 to you? I think it is actually a '61, may have been sold in 1960.

That has to be one of the most rust-free, straight and original Trucks I have ever seen listed on line. If it were a Pickup, EVERYBODY would be all over it! [^]

This truck is a 155 in. W/B E40 that came standard with a H.D. 289 engine and a rev limiting governor. It also has a Hydrovac boosted Standard brake system, a 5000 LB. front Axle, two-speed 15,000LB. 6.16-8.48 Ratio rear axle, a Gross Wt. of 19,500LB., probably a H.D. 4 speed (can't tell, could be 5 Direct), Climatizer, and a rare original AC cigar lighter! With Standard electric 2 speed Wipers.

1960's and later also have the built-in turn signal, car type steering column jacket and full instrumentation Instr. cluster with electric Temp gauge, (unlike the similar early version bi-metal sensor gauge used on '54-'56) It also has the correct horn button that Biggs reports does not always seem to show up on current examples of big trucks!

Really sweet rig! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

The seller marked a lot of stuff N/A on the auction sheet (like brakes,and marked the box for oil consumption) that I would want to know about before I would be interested.
              I wouldn't worry about what's marked/not marked on that generic form. Those get filled out by an auction worker with no interest in the truck, just trying to get the form done. Note that the form also indicates it's a 1940... definitely filled out by a disinterested party[|)]

The beauty about bigger trucks like this one is that it's pretty up-front; very little hidden problems possible. It runs, so there's probably nothing wrong with any of the drivetrain; almost impossible to wear out or damage. The frames don't get rust unless they've been sitting in a swamp for a few decades. If it's not obviously twisted or wrecked, you're all set there.

On these bigger trucks, I'd focus on cab rust and obvious damage. Being that there's none, and the truck has obviously been used lightly all it's life, you need not worry- that's a great truck! Figure on going over the brakes and service it, and it'll go right to work- or add cleaning and paint (maybe even just a "Lark Shine") and you've got a show truck[^]

As for shipping- I bet that could still get shipped to most anywhere in the U.S. for a grand on a LTL; big help is that it runs. Plenty of ways to skin that cat. Biggest question is if the location can keep the truck for a few weeks until a shipper can pick it up.

For that price I'd bid, and figure out the shipping[]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to it's last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

It looks like the side says U.S. Government. Is this an old forest service truck? Some of these vehicles got used sporadically and didn't run up very many miles.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Two Tone Paint?? It looks like the roof was painted that way from South Bend. Anybody ever seen that paint job before?

John
                  John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Mark; doesn't that Serial plate look a LOT more like [u]6</u>E40, than [u]5</u>E40 to you? I think it is actually a '61, may have been sold in 1960.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                    Hey - Good Eye Rich... I glossed over that "minor" detail. That does say 6E40. Still does not take away from the fact it is a very nice unit. Has the same Cigar lighter option (mounted over the Climatizer) as my Transtar. [^]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I'm happy to see that the horn button is the one that's specified by the parts book - the button that debuted in '55 cars.[^]

BTW - sure wish I could justify giving it a home!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll bet that is a former Forest Service truck. I used to go to GSA auctions where Forest Service trucks occasioanlly showed up. They were that color green and almost always were very low miles (saw a '50 Ford 1/2 ton with a Marmon-Herrington 4WD that had only 8,000 miles.
                        The red lever to the right of the emergency brake lever- would that be a PTO lever?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                        Museum R-4 engine
                        1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                        1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

Two Tone Paint?? It looks like the roof was painted that way from South Bend. Anybody ever seen that paint job before?

John
                          Most likely done long after the factory by some kid with a paint brush.

And the model number looks like 8E40 to me , maybe just my tiny laptop display screen.

3E38
                          4E2
                          4E28
                          5E13
                          7E7
                          8E7
                          8E12
                          8E28

59 Lark
                          etc

Comment

Remember that fleet vehicles were custom painted at the factory in the "fleet's" standard colors like all the other makes in the fleet (if any). These could ALL have been ordered in Forest service Green & White or solid Green if desired. I seem to vaguely remember US Govm't. '62 Lark wagons with both colors on them.

quote:Originally posted by 289stude

Two Tone Paint?? It looks like the roof was painted that way from South Bend. Anybody ever seen that paint job before? John
                            StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I just called the contact # and got an answering machine that said Kansas Wildlife & Parks I'd assume thats what it was used for.

John
                              John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Working...
                              X