Zone Meet in SD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zone Meet in SD

Anybody on the forum going to the Zone Meet in Rapid City over the labor day weekend? Is it expected to be a pretty "big" event?

Thinking of making the trek. I am WAY OVERDUE (only have taken 5 days so far this year and have to burn up 15 "use or lose" days by end of the year) for some time off and haven't been to the Black Hills before despite being an MN native and living in ND.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

We're thinking about going. School will be just starting but still should work. Don't know yet if we'll bring a car yet. Has anyone seen this advertised yet or did we just miss it in Turning Wheels?

Rob
    Laramie

Comment

It did not make it into TW on two occasions by mistake but should be in the August issue.Trouble is the good hotel rate expires on the 30th of July, so there is still a little time. Room rate is $79.00 plus tax until then. Call (605)348-4000 for reservations.If any of you want to go shoot me an e-mail through my profile,and I'll attach a flyer with registration form to my e-mail to you. I'm sure they would love to have you come. They have a nice bus tour of the Black Hills planned, included is an evening dinner at the Mount Rushmore lighting ceremony. Friday evening there will be an optional "Cowboy" dinner and Western Music Show. We ourselves have just decided to go after all even though it is two weeks before we leave for Lancaster!Oh almost forgot $10.00 late fee after August 1it says !!!!
      Edited for accuracy
      Frank van Doorn
      North Central Zone Coordinator
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H

Anybody on the forum going to the Zone Meet in Rapid City over the labor day weekend? Is it expected to be a pretty "big" event?

Thinking of making the trek. I am WAY OVERDUE (only have taken 5 days so far this year and have to burn up 15 "use or lose" days by end of the year) for some time off and haven't been to the Black Hills before despite being an MN native and living in ND.

I'm going to try and make that one! I didn't "blow the (fuel) budget" like I thought I was going to by making the 1600 mile round trip to the Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet earlier this month. My '65 could stand one more good road trip before summer cruising season is over!!

Craig

Comment

We are going Jeff, come on over, you deserve some time off[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop
          Frank van Doorn
          1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
          1963 Daytona Conv
          1941 Champion R-2 Rod
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Hope you all have a great time. My wife grew up in Custer only 40 miles from Rapid City. Custer is where her dad and uncle customized our 53 back in the 50's. Hard to beat the Black Hills in the summer.

Tim-53 Custom Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
            https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

Tim, when we go to the Black Hills we usually stay in Custer as it is close to all the things most people come to see. We stay at the Rock Crest motel.

quote:Originally posted by paintim613

Hope you all have a great time. My wife grew up in Custer only 40 miles from Rapid City. Custer is where her dad and uncle customized our 53 back in the 50's. Hard to beat the Black Hills in the summer.

Tim-53 Custom Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

I won't be making it, but if you go, a MUST see is the lighting ceremony at Mount Rushmore. That is spectacular!! We went to it at the International in 1999, and I went back the next day to get some goodpicyures.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Jim ,attendees of the meet will have a chance to see the lighting ceremony as a bus tour including dinner at Mount Rushmore and the lighting ceremony it is one of the activities on the schedule.

quote:Originally posted by 52 Ragtop

I won't be making it, but if you go, a MUST see is the lighting ceremony at Mount Rushmore. That is spectacular!! We went to it at the International in 1999, and I went back the next day to get some goodpicyures.

Jim
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Zone Meet in South Dakota
                    We were able to extend the discounted rates at the Rushmore Plkaza Holiday Inn. They will expire on August
                    15th. Don't procrastanate and take advantage. The North Central Zone Meet is shaping up to be a super event in a beautiful area.
                    Earl arrivals on Friday can take part in a discounted tour oh a nearly new antique auto and motorcycle museum with several restored Studebakers and Packards on Friday afternoon.
                    E-mail me for a registration form if you haven't already got one from Frank.
                    See you in Rapid City over the Labor Day weekend.
                    Jim, Dakotas Chapter SDCstudeman40@hotmail.com

Comment

Wish I could be there again. For the three years my family lived in Belle Fourche, we always enjoyed the Black Hills chapter. I remember one trip to Mount Rushmore with Buster Hill leading and me at the end to keep everyone together. Anyway, Buster was busy showing his passenger how well his Lark would run and he lost some of us in Custer Park. [:0]
                      We all made it to Rushmore anyway, but not at the casual pace you expect on a tour.
                      Regarding the black 53, is this the car that had chrome wheels with wire baskets on it? I seem to recall the owner's name was Ted. A beautiful car that he showed at the SDC International meet in Estes Park.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                      sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Wish I could be there again. For the three years my family lived in Belle Fourche, we always enjoyed the Black Hills chapter. I remember one trip to Mount Rushmore with Buster Hill leading and me at the end to keep everyone together. Anyway, Buster was busy showing his passenger how well his Lark would run and he lost some of us in Custer Park. [:0]
                        We all made it to Rushmore anyway, but not at the casual pace you expect on a tour.

1952 Champion Starlight
                        Is this one yours?

Craig

Comment

Yes, that is Old Spot. We're still together although it doesn't look that good right now. That picture was an unexpected surprise!

sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Yes, that is Old Spot. We're still together although it doesn't look that good right now. That picture was quiet a surprise!
                            Great to see that you still own it![^] That photo was taken in 1985 at the Labor Day meet. I believe Iris Holst was still much in charge back then, and Editor of the 'SDHawk'.

Craig

Comment

Yes, I wrote articles and helped Iris with the newsletter back then. She was a special lady. I got to drive her 62 GT 4 speed once. I was honored to have the chance. Buster bought it later.

sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X