The Champ,The Neighbor and a little Stude history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Champ,The Neighbor and a little Stude history

About 4 or 5 years ago,I spied the tailgate of an old Champ pickup peeking out from all that was stacked on it in what appeared to be an small old commercial building east of my place. I was on my way someplace,but made a mental note one day to check it out closer. As luck would have it,I was cruising around in the Yellow 61 Lark,and happened upon the building again,and this time there was an older gentleman working in the garden on the property,so I stopped and struck up a conversation.
    It was indeed the gentleman's Champ pickup,and had been stored in there for years. His name was Bob,and he was very forthcoming on its options and configuration. And no it was not for sale,but there it sat.What I could see of it when I squeezed in the bay was a truck that someone had put a lot of work and Bondo into a long time ago.He did inform me we were neighbors ,as he lived one road behind me.The property was his,and was across the road from his childhood home.
    The years went by,and I never saw that much my neighbor,but that is not unexpected as my working hours are crazy.Then last Tuesday,I noticed a car trailer in the driveway of the house across the road from the Bob's. I wondered about that since the lady who formerly lived there was murdered in a home invassion a few years ago,and the house remains empty.So on Wednesday I remember to glance the way of the trailer and there sits Bob's Champ pickup on the trailer!! Later on in the evening I took my 65 for a spin testing the new front wheel cylinder I installed.

I stopped with my camera for a couple of pics since I assumed it was going somewhere.Then my other neighbor Don stops after seeing me,and asks if I am buying it.No I say,and ask him what is it doing out of its garage.Then he tells me Bob passed away last year of a heart attack,and I should go knock on Bob's front door and ask what is going to happen to the Champ.So we did. The lady who answered the door was not too keen on our questions till she spied my 65 sitting out on the road side.Then she went out to the RV and hollered at someone inside. A older gentleman wearing a racing cam t-shirt ,blue jeans and suspenders.Darn! I think,a car guy! This one is already gone! Turns out his name is Tom ,and his wife is Bob's wife's sister.(think I got that right) He is originally from South Bend,but now calls Tennessee home. Bob's wife wants to keep the truck in the family,so he is taking it home with him to restore it. We must have talked for an hour.Don's family had a long time automotive repair buisness in South Bend,and Tom used to race cars @ all the local race tracks,including The South Bend Motor Speedway .We all seemed to know some of the same people,and Tom remarked what a small world it was.Then he tells me and Don his wifes uncle is the last remaining living member of the "Dirty Dozen",the 12 guys assigned the task of closing up Studebaker after the 1963 announcement. Two years ago the uncle turned 100 years old! The family got together for a suprise party and when they went to get the old guy,he was in the front yard with an axe chopping out a tree stump! At 100 years old!! WOW!!! I am told he is now 102 years old and still going strong.

I gave Tom a Classic Enterprises catalog,a Studebaker International catalog,SASCO'S address and sold him a pair of front fenders to help get the restoration under way.There is a lot of work to do,but I think he is up to it.And he promised to send me pictures of his progress. Who would have thought I would have found another Stude nut in the neighborhood,let alone one with a famous relative! RIP Bob,Tom will take care of your baby for you!!!

Cool, cool story! Thanks for sharing.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Be interesting to have a look at that dash - he seems to have quite a few gauges all over the place!

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009?
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I like that story too. Not the ending I was expecting, but a good one nonetheless. I hope he gets it going. BTW, did he ever race against Ted Harbit???

sals54
        sals54

Comment

"Did he race against Ted Harbit?"
          I do not think so.Tom was a roundy round racer,with sprints and late models.

Comment

I too like these "found" stories. Good one!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Those gauges below the glove box sure look like the ones you would want for a supercharger.

George
              George

Comment

That is an interesting story with a nice Studebaker twist.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark289

That is an interesting story with a nice Studebaker twist.

Jeff - your signature pic (if that's what you were posting - nice convertible by the way) is a bit big. Usally go for about 180 x 120 or so sizing. Cheers.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                  May 23 & 24, 2009?
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Thanks, I noticed that and reduced it... how's this...

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful story. it is truly amazing how small our world is when we start to talk with people. I am sure that the truck will be in good hands but sorry you didn't have the opportunity to buy it yourself. It is a nice truck but I wonder what all of those guages are on the dash. It'd be interesting to see in person as I have a twin. Also looks like a TT symbol on the dash so does it have a V-8 in it?

See you in the future as I write about our past
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                      X