High priced 4 door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High priced 4 door

I'm a little surprised about the bids on this car. It's pretty enough, but it's far from a show car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...mZ370071353364

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

I find that hard to believe. I'm guessing shill bidding or something.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Interstingly, the same seller has new "swamp coolers" for sale[?]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370021299567

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

The bidder must be Johnnie Wiffer!!

That's the perfect stable mate for his '54 Land Cruiser! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Wrong-O!! In fact I wrote them about the many defiencies in it. Nice car but not worth 15 large to me. Or even 10.

John

Comment

Dang. Where were those bidders when I sold that nice '55 Commander sedan a couple months back, for $2500.00? [V]

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I consider the price to be way out in left field; but its about a half hour from me, if anybody is interested I would be happy to check it out. It isn't often that Studes come up in this area. Must not have been any good dealers in the area.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

That price does seem a bit odd for a 4 door in this area. I would have guessed a top of $5,000, but of course the bidder could be anywhere. A nice looking car, but not being a C or K body a suprise.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

How many of you would strip the paint down to the meatal, repaint and do all the other things listed, then sell a car for a measely $5K? Let me know when you get one ready.
                  Allen

Comment

I can't seem to locate the file I thought I had on it, but the last time this car was on eBay it was in Arizona. I'd say that was at least 2 years ago.
                    I wish I could remember what it sold for then...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                    San Diego, Ca.
                    San Diego County SDC

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
                    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
                    '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

While I agree that he may have spent the 10-15K on the restoration, that does not change the final value of the car. I'm just commenting that 10K bid om a 4 door being unusual.

JDP/Maryland
                      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                      Thomas Jefferson
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum Allen; very pretty car! I like it, but I cannot afford to take on the losses of the owner, only the current real market VALUE of it! [^]

If it is yours, you have to understand that done of us would WANT to take that kind of a loss, but the reality is that a non-original restoration however nice, but to the builder's preferences that happens to be a very rare top of line BUT not popular 4 Dr. model, is simply NOT going to sell for over about $6500.00, and hard to get that! Sad but very true.

quote:Originally posted by satdoc2

How many of you would strip the paint down to the metal, repaint and do all the other things listed, then sell a car for a measly $5K? Let me know when you get one ready. Allen
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It is an older restoration. The reason I was hoping to find that file was so that I could show you guys that (besides the license plate) this car is pretty much just like it was when it was on eBay last!!! Notice the statement about the 'extra' bulbs in the tail-lights? It seems to me the ad last time said something about it being towed behind an RV or something...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

This is a nice car that took a lot to bring it to this level. With that said, even though I have been over valuing Studebakers that I have bought lately (lost money on their sale), I can not imagine this car being a $14,600 car. Of course it only takes one person not in touch with the market (or wants that car at any cost) that likes the car to make the purchase. My opinion is that the $10K in two bids is just shill bidding to bring the bid up to near the reserve so that a real bidder will hit the reserve.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by satdoc2

How many of you would strip the paint down to the metal, repaint and do all the other things listed, then sell a car for a measly $5K?
                              I would... if I had spent too much on a car without considering the finished value, AND had to sell it regardless of price....

Happens all the time- somebody either grossly underestimates the value of a "rare" car, or the cost of putting it in shape; or goes into a project on all emotion, with no rational thinking. Then when it comes time to sell, they expect others to feel the same way, ignoring actual market value; and can't understand why no one does so. Usually these cars either languish on the market for long periods of time while the seller slowly marks it down until it sells, spending a pile on advertising along the way; or they take offense and shove it in a barn or backyard saying "If that's all it's worth I'd rather see it rot!" and that's what it does...

I think B-J may be contributing to this somewhat; the casual hobbyist sees the cars similar to what they owned way back when (Camaro, Mustang, etc.) selling for six figures and think that applies to ANY old car... then add how rare Studebakers are and...[B)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X