Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this be the GT Hawk styling study?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be the GT Hawk styling study?

I think this car is the one I've seen a picture of where the Studebaker engineering department took a Thunderbird roof and attached it to a current hawk model. If it IS that car, it's had a few later alterations, but I'm almost sure this is the car. I have no idea where this barn is. Link:

http://carsinbarns.com/Classics/Pg10Clscs.htm
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Look at that seam down the middle of the roof:

Sure looks like a lateral section job...

---------------------------
    Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Look at that seam down the middle of the roof:

Sure looks like a lateral section job...

---------------------------
      Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

There is a picture of the car I am talking about in the April 1987 Turning Wheels (p.5). There is a reference to an article about this car, called the 1958 "T-Bird Hawk" in the March 1984 TW, which I don't have. Does anyone have that article?

If this isn't the same car, I'd be very much surprised. I sure wich we knew where that barn is.

The picture in the 1987 TW even shows mirrors mounted on the fenders in the same place as this car.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

There is a picture of the car I am talking about in the April 1987 Turning Wheels (p.5). There is a reference to an article about this car, called the 1958 "T-Bird Hawk" in the March 1984 TW, which I don't have. Does anyone have that article?

If this isn't the same car, I'd be very much surprised. I sure wich we knew where that barn is.

The picture in the 1987 TW even shows mirrors mounted on the fenders in the same place as this car.

Comment

The styling study for the Gran Turismo that was authorized by Studebaker, and built at an outside body shop, surfaced about a year ago. It was sold on eBay (with pictures of it in a barn - in Georgia, I think) and I think resold, or at least relisted, since then.

Gary L.
            1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
            1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The styling study for the Gran Turismo that was authorized by Studebaker, and built at an outside body shop, surfaced about a year ago. It was sold on eBay (with pictures of it in a barn - in Georgia, I think) and I think resold, or at least relisted, since then.

Gary L.
              1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
              1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It sure looks like the car in March T/W. The artical states it was built by O'Chapps Body Works, in South Bend. For Studebaker.
                There are a lot of different year Studebakers Involved. 57-61 fins and 59-61 trim, front seats are 1961, GT grill, Grill insert from a Lark, 59-61 park lights, Body is 54 Comander.
                Klif
                55 Speedster/Street Machine
                63 Avanti R2
                64 Convertible R1

Comment

It sure looks like the car in March T/W. The artical states it was built by O'Chapps Body Works, in South Bend. For Studebaker.
                  There are a lot of different year Studebakers Involved. 57-61 fins and 59-61 trim, front seats are 1961, GT grill, Grill insert from a Lark, 59-61 park lights, Body is 54 Comander.
                  Klif
                  55 Speedster/Street Machine
                  63 Avanti R2
                  64 Convertible R1

Comment

The license plate resting on the windshield of this and the following car on the page link should give us a clue as to the state the cars are in... it's not Pennsylvania, judging from the plates.

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                    Butler PA

Comment

The license plate resting on the windshield of this and the following car on the page link should give us a clue as to the state the cars are in... it's not Pennsylvania, judging from the plates.

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                      Butler PA

Comment

Those pictures were apart of an ebay listing about an year ago. I think the car sold. If I remember the car was in louisiana.

KF

Comment

Those pictures were apart of an ebay listing about an year ago. I think the car sold. If I remember the car was in louisiana.

KF

Comment

I have recently come into possession of a car that from the pics is the same one in this discussion. There is one point of vallidation that this car was indeed built by o'chapps Body Works. There is a plaque on the dash that says "Built for Studebaker by
                            O'chapps Body Works
                            South Bend Indiana
                            Here are some of the things we have uncovered so far: The grille was replaced with a later model Hawk grille. A 56 hawk grille fits perfectly. The body of this car seems to be a 53 or 54 Commander. The chrome mesh in the front air vents was cut from a later model hawk grille. The top is both sectioned and lengthened about 4 inches. Also in the curve of the rear side glasses there is a lot of modification to the shape of the curve. This top did not come from a 59 T-bird. I have one and nothing matches. The trunk deck was cut down from a car that had a flat trunk lid . Any Ideas? I would appreciate any info anyone has on O'chapps body works. It would be super if there is any existing record of the construction of this car. Thanks Joe Thompson
                            PS I look forward to becoming a member of this fine club

Joseph D Thompson

Comment

I have recently come into possession of a car that from the pics is the same one in this discussion. There is one point of vallidation that this car was indeed built by o'chapps Body Works. There is a plaque on the dash that says "Built for Studebaker by
                              O'chapps Body Works
                              South Bend Indiana
                              Here are some of the things we have uncovered so far: The grille was replaced with a later model Hawk grille. A 56 hawk grille fits perfectly. The body of this car seems to be a 53 or 54 Commander. The chrome mesh in the front air vents was cut from a later model hawk grille. The top is both sectioned and lengthened about 4 inches. Also in the curve of the rear side glasses there is a lot of modification to the shape of the curve. This top did not come from a 59 T-bird. I have one and nothing matches. The trunk deck was cut down from a car that had a flat trunk lid . Any Ideas? I would appreciate any info anyone has on O'chapps body works. It would be super if there is any existing record of the construction of this car. Thanks Joe Thompson
                              PS I look forward to becoming a member of this fine club

Joseph D Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X