No announcement yet.

1964 Model Year Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of closing the rear windows, was gonna dolly a Fiero from Baltimore to San Antonio. When talking with another Fiero owner, I was advised to tow it BACKWARD so I would not have to disconnect the axles--which would have been REALLY a mess on a Fiero. AND to tape the rear windows so they would not blow out at speed.

It turns out these windows are held in by 2 screws at the front but only 2-sided tape the rest of the circumference. (By the way, see a piece of my '54 LC in the right hand corner of the pic? That's to keep this post Stude-oriented) I taped them with duct tape but as I was driving on the loop around Baltimore, people kept pointing to the car. I finally stopped and looked at the car but it seemed to be OK. I checked the straps holding the rear wheels onto the dolly--one was a little loose but really couldn't see any other problem. Until I noticed a piece of metal under the car. I had forgotten to put the ramps up into the dolly! I can imagine the sparks THAT was making!!

No probs the rest of the way home and the windows were still attached when I arrived!

So if you've got a Studebaker AND a Fiero.....

John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Well I guess it COULD be owner's choice now-days, but of course the factory and dealer installed instruction sheet location WAS inboard! except for '66's with a wider grille and only 2 headlights.
      Here's a nos set on Ebay that was packaged up after the 1966 models came out. It shows a location guide as where to mount them, and indeed, they differ on 1966 models.

Craig

Comment

Interesting, Craig.

I'll bet you a doughnut (glazed only; no cake) that the factory felt the outboard location might in some small way alter the light pattern on four-headlamp cars. It would be easier to specify that all guards be inboard for 1964 and 1965 than to get in a long discussion about why.

Then, for 1966, they could be moved outboard since all cars had only two headlamps. Pure conjecture, you understand. (You have to buy the coffee to go with the doughnuts if I'm right.)[:0][^] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
          (You have to buy the coffee to go with the doughnuts if I'm right.)[:0][^] BP
          It won't be Krispy Kreme if you come here! They just pulled out of Calgary yesterday!![B)]

Craig

Comment

It won't be Krispy Kreme if you come here! They just pulled out of Calgary yesterday!![B)]

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
              [8D] KK must have over-expanded. They opened several stores in the Indianapolis area about ten years ago, with much hoopla and fanfare, and lines around the block for the first couple weeks.

Now, I am aware of only one that is still open...and in one location, the building was even scraped clean off the site about five years after it had been built![:0] BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Craig
                [8D] KK must have over-expanded. They opened several stores in the Indianapolis area about ten years ago, with much hoopla and fanfare, and lines around the block for the first couple weeks.

Now, I am aware of only one that is still open...and in one location, the building was even scraped clean off the site about five years after it had been built![:0] BP

Comment

Craig
                  Craig - The least you could do is to introduce Bob to the fine institution of Tim Horton's.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                  May 23 & 24, 2009?
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Craig
                    Craig - The least you could do is to introduce Bob to the fine institution of Tim Horton's.

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                    May 23 & 24, 2009?
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Interesting, Craig.

I'll bet you a doughnut (glazed only; no cake) that the factory felt the outboard location might in some small way alter the light pattern on four-headlamp cars. It would be easier to specify that all guards be inboard for 1964 and 1965 than to get in a long discussion about why.

Then, for 1966, they could be moved outboard since all cars had only two headlamps. Pure conjecture, you understand. (You have to buy the coffee to go with the doughnuts if I'm right.)[:0][^] BP
                      I think that the change in location relates to the drastic change in the grille from 1964-1965 to 1966.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Interesting, Craig.

I think that the change in location relates to the drastic change in the grille from 1964-1965 to 1966.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                        X