Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was Studebaker interested in selling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In hindsight I wonder what would have happened if they'd promoted the Avanti powered cars better. Say a 63 2 door sedan package with the R1 standard, optional R2,3 and 4, maybe some special graphics like the later GTO, Road Runner.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Studebaker suffered, particularly in 1958, with the rest of the industry. And, with the Big Three companies producing cars and selling them to dealers who sold them "supermarket style", the problems that would later snowball and claim the company really hurt sales volume. Studebaker Dealers could not floor plan inventory. Dealers ordered cars one at a time, often only when they were sold. The company could not force cars on dealers because banks wouldn't lend the money to allow the dealers to put them in inventory. 1958 was a recessionary year, and remember, even Ford had trouble getting their new division, Edsel, rolling. Studebaker got rolled over as the better financed organizations kept their lines running as best they could. This all makes the story of the Lark just a year or so later even more miraculous.

I think most two door sports models have a higher survival rate than their sedan counterparts. The Hawk was quite a special car compared to it's contemporaries. It's styling and appeal made it more than just a transportation appliance to it's owners. Even back then.

Kevin Wolford
      Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
      60 Lark VI Conv.
      63 Avanti R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 556063
        I think most two door sports models have a higher survival rate than their sedan counterparts. The Hawk was quite a special car compared to it's contemporaries. It's styling and appeal made it more than just a transportation appliance to it's owners. Even back then.

Kevin Wolford
        True, Kevin, and the reality is that the first owner of a higher-priced car (say, a supercharged 1958 Hawk, or even a President hardtop), generally had more money and took better care of the car during its first several years, than the buyer of a low-line sedan, who might not even have a garage. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
        X