Toter arrived today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toter arrived today

The new trailer toter that George O. and I picked up in Rhode Island arrived today. If this is the same truck that was shown at Gettysburg in 1980 it has suffered a steep decline. There is rust in the cowl and a couple of holes in the hood. There is a fit issue with the right fender that keeps the door from opening. On top of that the drivers door was locked so in trying a bunch of my Stude keys I got the cylinder to spin and now I can't get it to go back.

The shag carpet needs to go but it does have Bostram air ride seats. I will spend some time cleaning it up this weekend to get a better idea of what I got. Lots of mice droppings everywhere. [xx(] This is a picture of it on the trailer.

Unfortunately, when i went to take other pictures of it, the lends failed to open all the way. I will get some tomorrow and post them.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Well, aren't you a lucky one. Did you find JP's Golden Horseshoe stash?

SASCO has those hoods, and many 96 BBC parts, still available.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Can you bring it to the meet Sunday?

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Can you bring it to the meet Sunday?
        Not under its own power. It has no brakes, came with no key and the prior owner could not get it running. With diesel at $4.65 per gallon, don't look for me to load it on the rollback. On the other hand, the spring wagon is loaded in the back of my pickup. Would that work?

Comment

Does it have the 4-53 Detroit Diesel Gary?

Frank van Doorn
          1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
          1963 Daytona Conv
          1941 Champion R-2 Rod
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Be sure to wear a resperator when you clean out that mouse poop. Don't want you to get Hanta Virus!

Comment

quote:Not under its own power. It has no brakes, came with no key and the prior owner could not get it running. With diesel at $4.65 per gallon, don't look for me to load it on the rollback. On the other hand, the spring wagon is loaded in the back of my pickup. Would that work?
              The spring wagon will be fine. Does it have seats?

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude
                The spring wagon will be fine. Does it have seats?
                It does, one is here at the house and I delivered the other for repair yesterday.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Does it have the 4-53 Detroit Diesel Gary?
                  Frank,

While it is a 96 BBC setup, it has a 289 with 5 speed overdrive. While I have not seen many toters over the years, I do not recall any being diesel powered.

Gary

Comment

Guido, does a 1902 Studebaker buggy have rubber tires? Saw one on EBay today, and those tires really stuck out to me, seems like they should be wood and iron. And the Studebaker "tag" is a nice looking stamped piece of metal not in logo writing. I'm thinking it is a fake.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Guido, does a 1902 Studebaker buggy have rubber tires? Saw one on EBay today, and those tires really stuck out to me, seems like they should be wood and iron. And the Studebaker "tag" is a nice looking stamped piece of metal not in logo writing. I'm thinking it is a fake.
                      Bob,

While I have several horse drawn Studebakers, I really know little about them. I have seen a Studebaker buggy with bicycle style wheels, but do not know if it was original.

I also have my doubts on this one. All Studebaker name plates I have seen also list a city (New York, South Bend, San Francisco, etc.) and are rectangular. The step plates also do not bear the Studebaker name. I suspect the wheels were added at a later date to make it more roadable. For the opening bid I can get a nice documented Studebaker.

Gary

Comment

Does the truck have air brakes? Or air brake hook ups for a trailer?

Randy Wakefield
                        ----------------------
                        1955 President sedan

"For the future that we wait..."

Comment

Gary good luck with your Toter. It will make a great looking truck. I'm looking forward to
                          seeing it in person someday at a Studebaker event.

Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO
                          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

A project to be sure! However, I know that Gary will keep us posted with pics as that Toter gets back in shape. [^]

<h5>Mark
                            '57 Transtar Deluxe
                            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                            May 23-25, 2009?
                            </h5>
                            Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander

Comment

So what are your long and short-term plans for it, Gary? Going to get it on the road? I bet if you remove all the add-ons on the back and that angle-iron light rack, you'll be surprised at how much better looking- and easier to restore- it is![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Working...
                              X