New guy Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy Intro

Hi all, just wanted to pop my head in and introduce myself. Been surfing around here for the past week or so gathering all kinds of good information and I embark on the rebuild of a 63 Lark 2 door.

Found the car locally and I am currently preparing it to run in the 2009 Big Apple to Big Easy rally (www.baberally.com) I have run in this event for the past 3 years and for 09 they have added an American Iron class so I was very happy to find the little Lark to come along with me.

For the rally she will be gone through completely mechanically but then post rally the real fun begins.

See, my dad used to run around in a 63 Lark in his younger days. I have grown up with great stories of his exploits. So following the rally the body comes off the frame and I will be doing a full restoration as a gift for his 65th birthday (gives me 2 1/2 years to complete)

Work has already begun and Im really enjoying how relatively simple this car is to work on (although the front suspension has me a little frightened after reading all the postings about the exact tolerances, but Im sure it will be fine)

Right now the front clip is off and the motor is out, Im afraid the little 6 is seized up tight from sitting for the last 28 years. Im really hoping to find an 8 to put in there (that's what dad had) and the gentleman I bought the car from thinks he knows where I can get one.

Started tearing down the suspension last night, Most everything seems pretty good, except the brakes all need redone but I had planned on a disk conversion anyway so that's ok.

Up until 1980 she was owned by a retired studebaker mechanic, and the next owner (who I bought it from) was a studebaker afficianado (with a lovely Commander as well) who just never had time to get to this one. So everything looks very well kept but the years have been hard, so she needs a new floor on the passenger side and the typical front fender edge repair.

I've babbled enough. Wish I could offer up some better photos but I forgot to take pictures before I tore things apart but this pretty much sums up where Im at now.

Looks like you're having fun...
    Got it almost ready for a tire smoken V-8!

Mike

Comment

Welcome for the forum! Are you planning to join the club, and enjoy as the benefits of membership? We'd love to have you!

Chris Pile
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

Welcome for the forum! Are you planning to join the club, and enjoy as the benefits of membership? We'd love to have you!
        Already done Guess I should have mentioned that.

Comment

Welcome to you and I wish you luck on your project. I do not live to far from you. I also have a 289 block and pistonsthat came out of 1956 SkyHawk that would fit your car. Itis missing a crank. There are no ridge on the cylinder walls. I have the heads which are complete, a 4 brl Intake manifold, a 4 brl rebuilt Carter Carb that was the original carb for this car. It also includes the valve covers, starter and genarator and original air cleaner. The flywheel and Torq Converter have also been rebuilt. All of the brackets, lines and pulleys are also there as well as the oil filter caseing and lines. If you interested let me know. It is reasonably priced.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Welcome to the Forum JT!

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23-25, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Welcome! The rally sounds like fun []

Keep in mind that if the Lark was a 6, if you switch to a V8 you will need to change the trans, rear end, brakes (rears only if you put disks up front), and other parts. It is often easier to find a "donor" V8 car so you have all the needed pieces at once and see how they go together.

Also, I believe the 6 cylinder Larks had thinner gauge frames than the V8 cars.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yeah, Dick. Lighter frame, brakes, etc...

Hey fella, if you consider putting an eight in that little coupe, then get the brakes off another eight as well. Check around the local (read that the old ones) junk yard. You might even be able to find a set of the finned ones like my parts wagon has.

Welcome to the asyl... ahem[:I], um... addic...[:I] cough, cough, club! Yeah, that's right, welcome to the club.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                Lotsa Larks!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

JT, welcome to the forum! As a fellow '63 2-door owner, I gotta say you're in for a fun ride!

What are the car's numbers? If you post the body plate data and serial number from the driver's door post, we can tell you what model you have. (I secretly hope it's a Standard!)

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard
                  http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                  www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks to all for the warm welcome

I am aware of the needed upgrades to go to an 8 (I've been reading all the great posts here)but thank you for pointing it out so a newb doesnt go and mess things up, I had forgotten about needing to upgrade the rear, something else to add to the list.
                    The disk brakes are to be done no matter which path I take. So for now Im focusing on rebuilding the front and getting that done while I research everything else (and yes Im sourcing a set of V8 springs for the front so it can go back together with those if that's the route I take)

@showbizkid - Sadly not a standard (I've been reading your blog) Not sure of the model other than to know its not a standard. I will post up the numbers when I get home, I *think* the body tag is 63S-F4 but I'm working from a shaky memory right now.

Comment

Welcome to the club! We are a great source for information!

Contact BAMS for the V8 parts car that will give you all the parts you need for the V8 conversion.

bams50@msn.com

Best of luck with the re-build. Looks like your Lark is VERY restorable and has been well looked after.

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
                      Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
                      See you at Niagara 2008 Crossroads Zone Meet July 18-20
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me
                        Contact BAMS for the V8 parts car that will give you all the parts you need for the V8 conversion.
                        I did see that 4 door rollover he has if I had the money right now and a way to transport it cost effectively it would definitely be under consideration. Then again I think Id fall in love with the little wagon too and have 2 projects to deal with, I love wagons.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JThw8

Thanks to all for the warm welcome

Sadly not a standard (I've been reading your blog) Not sure of the model other than to know its not a standard. I will post up the numbers when I get home, I *think* the body tag is 63S-F4 but I'm working from a shaky memory right now.
                          Yes, JT; welcome aboard.

If your car was a Standard, that tag would be 63S-F2. The F4 indicates it is a 1963 Regal, which is confirmed by the single stainless-steel spear visible on the front door in your photos.

Before the Standard came out mid-year, the Regal was the lowest-price (and lightest-weight!) model. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Yes, JT; welcome aboard.

If your car was a Standard, that tag would be 63S-F2. The F4 indicates it is a 1963 Regal, which is confirmed by the single stainless-steel spear visible on the front door in your photos.

Before the Standard came out mid-year, the Regal was the lowest-price (and lightest-weight!) model. BP
                            Thank you Bob for clearing that up. I knew it wasnt a standard based on, as you said, the side trim as well as seeing Clark's blog explaining the F2 designation.
                            A Regal eh? Good to know, light is good The customizer in me is trying to resist just taking a mold of the whole front clip and making it in fiberglass But I want her to be realtively stock with some accomodations for modern driving enjoyment.

Definitely enjoying the work on her so far, just wishing there were more time/money, as I'm sure we all do.

Comment

Working...
                            X