Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two "little pieces parts" the Lark needs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two "little pieces parts" the Lark needs...

Hi all--

Once again, somebody on here's going to know these...Two "bits" my Lark will be needing soon, and which I don't (quite) see in SI's catalogue I have here...

*Choke cap (original is fractured; mech has jury-rigged it but that is a strictly temporary measure and sets the choke at a fixed halfway "happy-medium" setting). This "bit" does not seem to be in the catalogue at all...unless, as is very possible, I'm looking in entirely the wrong place.

*Master-cylinder cap gasket (original is worn--OK for now but needs replacement soon). This nearly shows up on p168 in the catalogue, but the ref there is up to 1960 only (am guessing this changed concurrently with the OHV six replacing the Champion six?).

Related matters for the medium term, as safety/reliability upgrades for the Lark...am considering swapping the generator/regulator for an alternator, probably with integral regulator, which should entirely vanquish the current problems with, well, current!...and would also like to get dual master cylinders fitted (she goes better than she stops; the old drums work OK but one has to think ahead a bit!). Longer term, am mulling over having Turner front discs fitted. How workable/advisable/necessary are these upgrades on a Lark VI like mine?

Cheers

S.

If this is a 4bbl, I believe that a Carter/Edelbrock electric cap will fit right on, unless you're concerned with originality.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote: Originally posted by Steve T

(am guessing this changed concurrently with the OHV six replacing the Champion six?)
      NOPE! I'd bet it had more to do with the m/c being moved from under the floor to the firewall~ a completely different unit.
      quote: Originally posted by Steve T
      Related matters for the medium term, as safety/reliability upgrades for the Lark... and would also like to get dual master cylinders fitted (she goes better than she stops; the old drums work OK but one has to think ahead a bit!). Longer term, am mulling over having Turner front discs fitted. How workable/advisable/necessary are these upgrades on a Lark VI like mine?
      I'd think - not so much if the present system is working/maintained/adjusted PROPERLY. The type of driving you do would be key, I suppose. A dual m/c might not hurt for your piece of mind and/or the safety aspect, though

quote:Originally posted by N8N

If this is a 4bbl... nate
      On a Lark VI- I'd hope not!!!

StudeDave [8D]
      San Diego, Ca.
      San Diego County SDC

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
      '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
      '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

There are an awful lot of Turner's kits currently in use- well known and proven, not a big problem to convert, and worthwhile. Tom (sbca96 here) has come out with a new kit for bigger brakes if you want that; don't know if anyone here has gotten his yet.

Tom's is designed for those who want 16" aftermarket wheels. Turner's will use stock-type wheels if you prefer.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Thanks guys--keep it coming!

Re the choke cap and the carb, no, the carb isn't a 4-barrel, but it is indeed a Carter.

Re the brakes, I probably will proceed in the medium term with a second MC. I hope to retain stock wheels on the Lark...she's very much as she was when new (slight colour change aside), and I don't want to mess with the character of the car too much. However, upgrades "under the skin" that enhance reliability/safety of operation, without compromising that character, I'll seriously look into.

Cheers

S.

Comment

Steve,

First off - as much as I wish I had such recall, I'm sure I'm not alone in being left to guess WHICH year Lark and engine you're dealing with. Too many folks here with too many Studes to keep track of them all. Might I suggest you make mention of what model of Stude with each post (engine too) so we can offer more precise advice.

Current? Are you sporting some mega-amplifier for your sub-woofers? Added on A/C? Unless you've added things like that, what you have should be more than adequate.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Steve, if you're retaining the stock steel wheels and plan to mount radials, please read the threads here on what happens to these wheels in this case. They were engineered for bias-ply tires, and when radials are mounted, stresses are created that the the wheel wasn't designed for. This causes cracks to occur in the rim and the wheel to self-destruct.

Inspect your wheels very carefully if you plan to stick with bias-plies, and replace them if you're going with radials.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard
              http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
              www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Steves Lark is a basic '62 2dr sedan Six cylinder.

Steve if you contact Roly he has a working generator and regulater you can have .

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
                "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
                1960 Champ
                1964 Daytona HT
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by bams50[/i]

"There are an awful lot of Turner's kits currently in use- well known and proven, not a big problem to convert, and worthwhile. Tom (sbca96 here) has come out with a new kit for bigger brakes if you want that; don't know if anyone here has gotten his yet."

If "Tom" is Steel Tech Solutions, I have his big brakes. I really like them and I have 15" wheels. Had to fabricate brackets and pivots from other kits for a good pedal, but a correctly fitting dual MC is the way to go. It's been a year, but I think I had the original wheels on mine after the brake kit installation to roll around in the garage and they fit too.

I was planning on sandblasting my original wheels and eventually getting the correct whites, so I'm glad I saw your warning, Clark. I wasn't aware that they were that much of a problem with radials.

Comment

Clark, I would not ring the alarm bell too loud, I never heard of anyone actually splitting a rim, I could see how it IS possible if someone throws the car hard into turns constantly at speed and runs too large a tire like 225, 235 or any 70 or 60 series tires. I have been driving on P205X75R15 Radials and P215X75R15 Radials on several Studes. for at least 28-30 years without a problem, so I don't see a reason to panic everyone. [V]

I remember most of the posts were about someone who believed that Stude. rims were not "safety rims" which remains to be proven, and really, when did you EVER hear of a tire actually coming off the rim, not because it shredded because it was a worn out or defective tire, but because of the rim? [?]

There is also a one in a million chance you could run over a pitchfork or a misplaced spike strip and blow a tire and crash also! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

please read the threads here on what happens to these wheels in this case. They were engineered for bias-ply tires, and when radials are mounted, stresses are created that the the wheel wasn't designed for. This causes cracks to occur in the rim and the wheel to self-destruct.
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Mine are from AZ and are pretty solid. No race tracks planned. Duly noted Rich. Extra welds could shore them up I guess, if anyone's that worried.

Comment

I have a choke cap ,with the bimetal spring,for a Carter carburator. It is marked "CARTER CLIMATIC CONTROL". On the bottom ,the part # is 170 AN 61S. Please let mt know if you need it.Thanks...Rich.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Originally posted by bams50[/i]

"
                          [b]If "Tom" is Steel Tech Solutions, I have his big brakes.
                          No, Tom is sbca96 on the forum. I've never seen his last name posted. He made a nice-looking adapter kit for Cobra brakes. I think he sold 2 sets, but no reports back about how they're working out. Here's one old thread of several about his:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...?TOPIC_ID=7594

Steel Tech is Dave Levesque (sp?). Haven't heard anything about his stuff in a long time. There were some problems chronicled here, but I don't think he's in business any more; I could be wrong, though.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Hi all--

Thanks for all the advice and the cautions too...once again this forum comes up aces...

Mr Biggs--Point taken...had actually intended to put "62 Lark VI" in the header, but evidently got distracted! Betty, as Bob indicates above, is a fairly plain-Jane 62 Lark VI (OHV) automatic 2dr sedan.

Showbizkid--Thanks for the caution about the wheels; I was unaware of that issue. My Lark already sported radials by the time I acquired it. At the end of the season I'm going to have the same mech who's fixing the electrics now do a detailed inspection to catch anything like that before it can become a problem. I drive the old gal fairly gingerly anyway...thus far really only across town to cruises.

2R5 Bob--Thanx for the vector re Roly. May see him at M'view tomorrow (I'll be there, though the Lark won't) and will ask him. Guessing he's swapping the gen/reg for an alternator in his 62? I'll likely do that eventually too...

ChampTrucking Rich--I'll check that part # with the mech and get back to you. The "climatic" reference sounds right...the mech mentioned that the choke cap might be called "thermostatic" or a similar term. Where are you located? Want to make it worth your while if I do obtain the cap from you.

Oh, and as to "current"...that's just me being facetious, having already used "current" in its other sense in the same sentence. My Lark doesn't...and won't ever...have subwoofers. (They'd sound pretty silly thumping away under the crackling fade-in fade-out of the original '62 Stude AM radio anyway...)

Thanks again all--will update when Betty's back on the scene.

S.

Comment

Hey kiddo, I'm currently running radials on four Studes with no problems at all. Well... at least, not with the rims. Just drive the car how it was intended to be driven, keeping in mind that it's over forty years old, and there's no problem. People were putting radials on these cars back in the late sixties when they came out. There were very few problems then, and I don't anticipate any now with mine.

Like Biggsie said, the generator would be more than adequate for any stock setup. I run alternators on all but my '56 and there's very little difference.

Good luck with Betty. Hope she turns out to be a really doll for you.[:X]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              Lotsa Larks!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X