M-Series on Ice Road Truckers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-Series on Ice Road Truckers!

Did anyone else notice the large, M-series Studebaker stake-bed(?) truck in one of the ice road photos during the July 6th installment of Ice Road Truckers on The History Channel?

Yep; it's been confirmed: There was a large M-series up front in one of the "old-timey" B & W still shots.[^] (No, thankfully; Hugh wasn't driving it!) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I saw it Bob. Wonder if Dick Quinn has any related pics or articles on this usage.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Yep; it's been confirmed: There was a large M-series up front in one of the "old-timey" B & W still shots. [^] (No, thankfully; Hugh wasn't driving it!) BP
      Why worry about Hugh? Rick is the guy who wrecked his truck on the way up there, and then broke a few more trucks once he started driving on the ice!!!
      I missed the picture you're talking about though, gosh darn it... [V]

StudeDave [8D]
      San Diego, Ca.
      San Diego County SDC

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
      '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
      '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Just kidding about Hugh; he likes the "bad-boy" image, Dave. (And he shouldn't complain; did you see him endorsing Bridgestone tires in their ad? Ten years ago, could he have ever imagined himself earning as much money as he is probably getting paid for that endorsement?)

The History Channel sure hit a home run with Ice Road Truckers; it's far and away the most popular thing they've ever done. I'll bet even they were surprised.

(I keep looking for our Gordon Richmond in the background, though, punching a hole in the frozen tundra!) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yeah, I was going to say, if Rick was driving it, it has a hole in the oil pan, or the battery hold down broke, and he ran over the battery, or the truck is at the bottom of a lake!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

Yeah, I was going to say, if Rick was driving it, it has a hole in the oil pan, or the battery hold down broke, and he ran over the battery, or the truck is at the bottom of a lake!!
            [:0] The battery hold-down broke? [u]Omigosh;</u> now we're talking about a serious problem! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I am not allowed to watch it any more as my wife gets sick at the thought of one of them going through the ice. So I will resort to being a closet watcher when she is not around.
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I don't think that show is broadcast here, although we do have a Canadian history channel. Anyway, I have neither cable nor satellite.

I think if I get a satellite dish, it'll be a gray-market one, so I can watch the U.S. channels.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Yes I saw the truck too. I about fell out of my chair. Very good show.

Comment

Frank, I gotta say, I think "closet watching" would be drearier than watching paint dry!

I don't watch the show, but I did catch several vintage episodes of Twilight Zone in the 4th of July TZ marathon. There was one episode featuring Chas Bronson and Elizabeth Montgomery where they were surviving soldiers in a post-holocaust world. Cute story, but what caught my eye was one of the props in a scene that mimicked a city street full of destruction and debris. It sure looked like a K-series ton and a half or so that was sitting in the middle of the avenue![^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

I think if I get a satellite dish, it'll be a gray-market one, so I can watch the U.S. channels.

Careful Gord! [:0][}] The CRTC will have you on their radar now.

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                      May 23-25, 2009?
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

That was in last season's series. That yahoo Drew lost his ENTIRE FLIPPIN' battery box from under his rig.

I saw those still shots from "back in the day"! Amazing what those guys were/are doing. I would be afraid to haul over the ice with a lightweight dog sled team, let alone with a 18 wheel rig and a 50 ton load![:0][:0]

I am tired of that announcer. Everytime a trucker moves out he drones: "And they're going out into the UNKNOWN". Excuse me, but if the ice road is plowed, and there are signs posted everywhere, and there are only one of three places to go, how can that be the "unknown"??????[B)]

Frank Remlinger
                        SDC# A004602R
                        Frank Remlinger
                        Detroit, Michigan
                        SDC# A004602R

Comment

Started watching Ice Road Trucker from the first installment, it has now worn me out. Can't watch anymore, to much sameo, sameo. Now that total run of Twilight Zone. Watched about six of them. They wear well with age. I'm slowly recording them all. A lot of nice old vehicles and some big name actors. Rod Serling died to young.

Comment

Working...
                          X