No announcement yet.

Bought the 1960 convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife is a great baker, so "Frost & French" works fine around here...for both of us.

Andy
    62 GT
    Andy
    62 GT

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by nels

Wasn't the engine compartment black on the 60 Larks, all except the firewall and above the radiator which remained body color?

Nels, you should remember this one from Dayton, 1997..I had a black engine compartment in it, but it was a shiny black.

[img][/img]

Comment

I grew up in the '50s---both in high school and college, but I was never into the placque thing. I guess I was too square.
        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

It's funny how the groups split up in high school. My wife was part of the "Goodie two shoes clan" that ate a bag lunch or in the cafeteria. I ate at the G & H (Aka gag and Heave) dive across the street. I guess I leaned more toward being a "hood" and always driving some kind of rodded Studebaker. First was a primered 51 2 door sedan with scallops, wide white and red wheels.
          The second car would not be PC today, and in hindsight should have occurred to be PC even in the late 50's.
          It was a 52 with a supercharger that I had mounted 3 electric fuel pumps in the trunk to feed the engine. The pumps made such a racket that they sounded like native drums so my artistic buddy did a graphic on the rear fenders. It was a cartoon of a African native complete with the bone through the nose, banging on a drum.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

that is a sweet old-school A2 JDP! check out the M3-style (clear turn signals) Euro taillights (three red segments) and shaved hatch. Now I'm getting nostalgic for that red 16V, even though that was the one vee-dub that drove me nuts while I owned it.

Somewhere in my garage I still have a set of BBS rims that would be perfect for such a build. I'm still half-fast looking for a pre-'82 Scirocco for a beater/project.

I think I may have found a potential buyer for Michele's Corrado, so maybe I could get her to buy one so I can have all the fun of owning one without actually having to pay for it (buyer is looking for a base for a 1.8T swap; wish I had the $$/energy to try it myself, but I have enough on my plate)

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Four of us founded the "Highwaymen" about 1960, I was secretary/treasure in the original club in Bay City, MI. Sure wish I had kept some of the original stuff. I'd love to have an original plaque for the 54 hardtop. In fact, If anyone knows of a Highwaymen plaque from this era, I'd be happy to buy it. The foundries I've contacted say they need an original pattern, then they can change city name and letter style to my design. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Boy, did this topic get lost! [:0] Each an interesting topic, but tangled here and there. We went from white walls and fuzzy dice to hanging plaques and car clubs. BTW By the time I could afford Cragars white walls were out and white letters were in, but I always liked the small letters the best. [8D]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Well, we are so far off of JDP's Convertible Post, we might as well go to a License Frame Topic as well as the other 3 or 4 off topic posts!!
                  Wow Dave, that is a really old Afton Lic. frame, by 1959/60 he had Lark, Hawk Mercedes ones! That is in beautiful shape, but what's it doing in Ohio? Inglewood is in Calif. you know! [:0]

That's the dealer my Dad was a salesman at from '55 to '62. Frank sold the parts and service to the local Rambler dealer down the street in 1965, and his "Acre of Service, at your Service": Truck Shop, Body Shop, Transmission, Tune-up, Lube, sections, Alignment rack, Used car Lot and new Mercedes showroom became a Safeway supermarket!

This large Dealership used to be one of 3 Los Angeles Paul G. Hoffman stores, the President of Studebaker in the 1950's. Frank Afton made so much money selling 1950 Studes. there, that he BOUGHT THE STORE! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

This is as close as I get to a plaque. It's not swingin' yet. As many racoons that are out this summer, it may.
                  [img][/img]
                  StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Anyone else "swing a plaque" ? I was a Coachman back in the day.

JDP/Maryland

Yes, I have, but not in the '50s. In the fifties I was driving my lowered, dechromed, etc. '49 Mercury coupe. The local "Road Knights" tried to get me to join their club. I wasn't interested in them/their club. I was more of a "Lone Wolf" but didn't use one of those plaques either. The Road Knights are still in existance.

Many years ago, there were plaques made up for the Directors of SDC. I had one on my '53 Commmander Starliner for awhile and also used it on other cars (during the years that I was an SDC Director). The plaque reads: "Director Studebaker Drivers' Club". Yes, the plaque included the incorrect apostrophe after Drivers.

Not a true plaque, but I also used a "member of Studebaker 100,000 mile club" on some of my Studebakers. I have the only known original of this item. John Brichetto borrowed mine to make the reproductions that are now common. I have checked with many people, like Asa Hall & Fred K. Fox, and have not found anyone else with an original. If another original exists, I would like to hear about it. Mine came off a Studebaker tow truck that was used by the local dealer. I got it from the guy that later owned the tow truck by trading him an NOS NY Jets plate that his girl friend wanted. The guy wouldn't sell the Studebaker item, but went along with a trade when I came up with something that he wanted.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Drove it home today. Pulled out on the highway, upshifted to third, kicked in the overdrive and drove the 70 miles home at 70 MPH, parked in the garage, end of adventure.

JDP/Maryland
                      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                      Thomas Jefferson
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                      X