flight-o-matic rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flight-o-matic rebuild

i live in littlerock and am looking for someone within a state or to that could help me in a couple months with a rebuild.

also does anyone know of a good kit to buy? or what all parts i should definatly get. it is out of a 57 silver hawk.
    thanks in advance

Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR
    57 Silver Hawk
    Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Are you going to rebuild it yourself?

Comment

if i can get a little help yes. i have done motors i am sure i can do a tranny just would like to have someone there that has done one to offer advice.

Kevin Phillips
      Jacksonville,AR
      57 Silver Hawk
      Kevin Phillips
      Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

I'm no expert by any means, but I do know you probably should hold off ordering parts until you get it opened up. Otherwise you'll buy stuff you don't need, and have to order stuff you didn't think you'd need.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard
        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Kevin,
          First point to establish is why you want to rebuild the auto trans? Does it leak, lack drive,slip or flare,etc ? Certainly, if it is opened up you will need a seal & gasket kit as a mininum, part #6900DH. Then condition of the clutch packs, band wear & condition of white metal bearings need to be established.Feel you will need some guidance by a fellow member with background experience to guide you along the right path so you have control over parts expenses required.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
          MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

I'd replace all clutches; both fiber and steel, all bands, rings, seals, gaskets. If you question the condition of a particular part, just post a pic of it on here. Lay out the parts over a large work area. Have compressed air handy to clean off parts. Buy a rubber tipped air nozzle to check the clutch packs for engagement before you reinstall the bottom bolt on parts.

Comment

You'll need a service manual that has an exploded view of the transmission. You'll need a solvent tank, that uses mineral spirits to thoroughly wash the parts, and compressed air to dry them. You may have to farm out servicing the clutch pack, as it sometimes requires a special jig. Then, you can reassemble it yourself. Watch out that you don't cut a seal when putting it back together. The convertor may be problematic, as it is difficult if not impossible for the DYIer to remove all of the old fluid, which may contaminate the fluid in your rebuild.

Comment

As Quigly observes: Do you KNOW the unit to have problems??? If it last worked good, put new front and rear seals in it (doesn't require opening up the tranny)and enjoy.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If it ain't broke don't mess with it.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

As Quigly observes: Do you KNOW the unit to have problems??? If it last worked good, put new front and rear seals in it (doesn't require opening up the tranny)and enjoy.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

Comment

Those things are a bxxxx to install. I would tear it apart if it's already out.

Comment

i already have the tranny out of the car. the car is torn down to nothing the frame is all done and i just finished the motor before i left for iraq. when i return home the plan was to rebuild the tranny. when i bought the car it had a spun rod bearing so i was not able to check the tranny. so it may be good. i don't know. should i just clean it put new front and rear seals and pan gasket on it, change all fluids including torque converter and give it a try?

Kevin Phillips
                      Jacksonville,AR
                      57 Silver Hawk
                      Kevin Phillips
                      Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

Without an experienced hand to show me how to do the rebuild, I would probably set the engine and trans in the frame hook up the driveshaft to the rearend and run the trans through the gears with the rear wheels off the ground. This would be a no load condition, but you could see if it went into all gears. You can also pull the ran and look for debris and look at and smell the fluid for hints to the trans condition.
                        Kevin, I talked with Joe and he said that there is a place here in Searcy that has successfully rebuilt Stude transmissions. Of course, if you want to be in on the build you might have to negotiate.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                        "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

thanks i guess i will talk to joe when i get back

Kevin Phillips
                          Jacksonville,AR
                          57 Silver Hawk
                          Kevin Phillips
                          Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

Do ya think if someone mentioned this is virtually the same as an old 3-speed Ford-O-Matic, it might make things easier? I rebuilt one of these suckers using an old MOTOR manual, not a Studebaker manual. So it really isn't that hard.

The biggest problem I found was that aluminum slush gets into the valve body, clogs it up then won't go into reverse. Took a driving test in that car. Sometimes it would, sometimes not. The trooper told me, "Better not park in front of something you can't run over."

John

Comment

Working...
                            X