Chrome Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome Recommendation

I just had Jerry Forrester redo the chrome on the grill surrounds and tail light bodies of the Ute. The tail light bodies had some major dents and dings. The grill surrounds were distorted and dull. The pieces were not only done quickly by Jerry, but is the best chrome plate I have ever seen (I've seen A LOT, and I'm super fussy). They look much better than Studebaker ever even THOUGHT of doing. The model of show chrome. I've had a lot of chrome done by various shops and Jerry beats them all...by far!

Anybody looking for perfection, contact Jerry (goes by Jerry Forrester here on the forum). You won't go wrong.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Jerry, words out now. You da man. Ain't no turning back now. You have crossed the bridge. People will wait in line for guaranteed quality results with pot metal. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8
      People will wait in line for guaranteed quality results with pot metal.
      I doubt if ANY shop can GUARANTEE anything with pot metal...pretty fragile stuff.

I've had a fair amount of pot metal chromed by other shops. Some did OK, some not so good, some ruined parts. This work is the best I've seen.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Forrester's Chrome For The Street
        3990 Bankhead Hwy
        Douglasville, GA 30134
        (770) 949-8942

Jerry's done all my chrome for a long time....
        Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've seen some of Jerry's work - on pot metal. What I've seen of it is worthy of the praise Dick gives him. Of course, there are other places of equal ability, and I don't say that to take one iota of worth from Jerry's talents. I just want to caution anyone that looks for a "bargain" to be mindful of the old line about getting what one pays for. And DO NOT think that if you're paying the big bucks for your work, that's gonna guarantee a great finish!
          I've known two folks out this way that have restored Speedsters. Both of them have had the pot metal pieces RUINED by the platers they chose to use. Both of these guys HAD THE BUCKS to pay for the best without pain - they simply believed that they were getting a "deal". They also believed the platers when they said: "Pot metal? No problem! Pits? No problem!"
          What they got back was indeed shiny, but god those shops butchered the pot metal stuff! Get references and go SEE some of their work. And get a pre-approved loan from your bank. Hours of intensive labor by an experienced artist don't come cheap.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll second that, Dick. We've had Jerry do a few pieces for us, and they've all came back near perfect. But, what can you expect from a guy that lives in Jawjuh?

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

From what I've seen, Jerry is a good ol' boy, and a Stude enthusiast to boot. I just wonder what the MOST challenging replate job is, as far as Studebakers go? Is it the 55 Grille assembly? Beltline moldings and wing vent frames for 58-up hardtops and Larks? Would it be GT Hawk Grilles? Or, what about 57-58 Packard Taillight housings? I am very curious to know what the reconditioning and plating costs typically are for those particularly tough jobs.

Comment

Hey Jerry, are you done with my fender lights yet? NT

Neil Thornton
                Hazlehurst, GA
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '56 Sky Hawk
                '51 2R16 dump truck
                Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

If a '55 snoot is a high water mark, then Jerry is your man...
                  He's owned a few and is doing another one right now.
                  (Must be a self abuse thing[:0][B)])
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by torker

From what I've seen, Jerry is a good ol' boy, and a Stude enthusiast to boot. I just wonder what the MOST challenging replate job is, as far as Studebakers go? Is it the 55 Grille assembly? Beltline moldings and wing vent frames for 58-up hardtops and Larks? Would it be GT Hawk Grilles? Or, what about 57-58 Packard Taillight housings? I am very curious to know what the reconditioning and plating costs typically are for those particularly tough jobs.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The pot metal on my Lark that I think is the hardest to find properly done are the belt line mouldings. I have a couple of sets that need attention and they can't be easy with which to deal because they almost always have pitting. As has been discussed here often, pot metal has properties that require a delicate touch. I have only had a license plate frame plated by Jerry so far and here is an example. The license plate has taken a beating this summer from road stones, but the chrome is indeed tasty. The chrome is so shiny that my paint to original specs looks sloppier than it really is. Thanks Jerry, I've had that frame waiting for 12 years and I'm glad you are the one who got it done..

[img][/img]

Comment

I'll put in my 2 cents for Jerry as well. I gave him a '55 taillight housing that he said would only be able to be "driver quality" chromed because of the amount of pitting etc. on it. It came back looking better than the similar housing that I'd sent to Qual-Krom, who I have to say I was disappointed in. The only thing "driver" about the housing I got back from Jerry was a few pits that couldn't be filled or ground out due to location (e.g. right on an edge or corner) and a little "wave" that probably would have been silly expensive to fix.

OF course now supposedly SI is repro'ing those taillights, but I wanted to have something decent looking on my car and didn't want to wait until "someday"...

Jerry is a good source of stainless and chrome hardware too, and I'll probably be doing more business with him now as apparently Chesapeake Marine Fasteners has gone out of business (moment of silence...) also he hooked me up with a chrome plated right angle heater hose fitting so I could relocate my heater hose to install A/C. Seems like he stocks or can get a lot of little hard to find pieces like that that you may need for a non-stock project.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks to all for this strong recommendation...and of a fellow SDCer, too! It is good to know someone who can be trusted to deliver "as advertised" in the chrome business! BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockinhawk

Hey Jerry, are you done with my fender lights yet? NT

Neil Thornton
                          Hazlehurst, GA
                          '57 Silver Hawk
                          '56 Sky Hawk
                          '51 2R16 dump truck
                          Many others.

Yes, and no.
                          They were done and I was about to ship them out. But I looked at them one more time and noticed the end of one of the lights (the part aroung the lens) was not polished before going into the copper tank. That one will be re-run (strip, polish, wash, copper, polish, wash, nickle, rinse, chrome, rinse, polish, inspect) this next week. If all the planets are in proper alighnment and there are no other glitchs I will get them out to you before Friday.

Jerry Forrester
                          Douglasville, Georgia
                          Be sure to check out my eBay store
                          http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_ and my EZ33 store http://tinyurl.com/2g2j88
                          for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I just had Jerry Forrester redo the chrome on the grill surrounds and tail light bodies of the Ute. The tail light bodies had some major dents and dings. The grill surrounds were distorted and dull. The pieces were not only done quickly by Jerry, but is the best chrome plate I have ever seen (I've seen A LOT, and I'm super fussy). They look much better than Studebaker ever even THOUGHT of doing. The model of show chrome. I've had a lot of chrome done by various shops and Jerry beats them all...by far!

Anybody looking for perfection, contact Jerry (goes by Jerry Forrester here on the forum). You won't go wrong.
                            I'm turning red

Jerry Forrester
                            Douglasville, Georgia
                            Be sure to check out my eBay store
                            http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_ and my EZ33 store http://tinyurl.com/2g2j88
                            for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Well, the ol' Trim Trader used to boast of a "Stainless Reputation". Looks like Mr. Forrester's resume positively shines!

"Let Forrester's chrome put a gleam in your eye!"[8D]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X