No announcement yet.

r4 engine color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a NOS R3 air cleaner for sale at York this year. I recall it because of the strange behind grill bracket.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I thought I saw one at SB this year. John Meyer had it on his table.

As for the R4 color, some were blue some red. I know the two originals I've seen were both blue but the magazine article does mention red.

As for black oil pans with red blocks, I've seen a lot of those also. I suspect the black pan may have signified engines with standard rods not the R3 special rods. This has been the case with a number of engines I'm familier with.

Comment

Gary, maybe everyone knows that story, but I sure don't...what the heck?! Did you lose the Avanti completely, was it stolen, or was it an accident and you got it back? Rare R3 and R4 parts missing are bad enough, but a whole car? Ouch. I assume they are deceased of natural causes since you aren't typing in prison?!

A few years ago something similar happened that I had heard of one day and got involved in finding. A car was given to a car restoration group by a museum to put up in a raffle at an annual auto show. Some cars are given to museums as gifts as we all know and often museums decide that selling them is a better idea than restoring them. Understood...but, this car wasn't theirs to give away or sell. When the family saw the car their father had loaned them up for a raffle at an auto show, they were very upset and pulled the contract out. Sure enough it was for display only and the family had the rights to it. Anyway, the sign on the car at the show had read, "Win this car!"..not a car similar to this in small print, but "this" car. The car had really low mileage and was in excellent condition and people had paid $5.00 a pop for a chance at it to the tune of at least 3000 tickets by then. Instead of admitting and posting the error, someone decided to search the country for an identical car for sale and buy it, but only found one with many more miles and a completely different color, trim package and condition.
        Trouble was no one came forward to claim it right away after the dust settled at the drawing. A person with the same common name on the ticket came forward a while later and actually got the car given to them without a raffle ticket! With luck I tracked the correct family down a month later after looking into it on a tip and THEY had the correct name and the actual winning ticket. Red faced, the group had to go and reclaim the (still wrong) car and finally give it to the proper winner. Fortunately the scammers hadn't sold it or trashed it by then. How does that happen, though? Sadly, everyone is suspicious nowadays and almost expects people to try to get away with most anything. Sadly, trust has to be backed by high tech video instead of a handshake these days.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Gary, maybe everyone knows that story, but I sure don't...what the heck?! Did you lose the Avanti completely, was it stolen, or was it an accident and you got it back? Rare R3 and R4 parts missing are bad enough, but a whole car? Ouch. I assume they are deceased of natural causes since you aren't typing in prison?!
          A brief net to this - I had a written loan contract with the SNM. The Avanti went to the Southwest. I am in the Northeast. The SNM is in the Midwest. I decided that I didn't have the time or resources to legally pursue this. I received partial payment for the Avanti (3K mile car) and transfered the title. I just mentally wrote off the rest and moved on.
          Yes, they were both younger than me and both died of natural causes.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X