Built for Speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built for Speed?

After Gary pulled up the ad for this car on Ebay, I was able to look at it on my way home. It is not rust free, but it is a lot better than most midwestern cars. It needs rocker panels, most of the front clip, repair to the cowl and the floor under it, and a deck lid. Until the wet carpet is pulled out, a complete assessment can't be made.

I'm buying this car to make a purpose built drag car to run in F.A.S.T. (Factory Appearing, Stock Tire). The cars have to look bone stock, sound stock and run bias ply tires. You can modify what can't be seen, such as engine internals, etc. You can see the rules here: http://www.fastraces.org/members/fas...5!OpenDocument

Here's the pictures I took last night.

Obviously, in drag racing, weight (or lack of it) is key. If it wasn't standard, it'll be pulled. No heater, no radio, no side mirrors, etc. So now I get to research just how base a Commander can be. I also get to research what makes a 'package car'. I can make an R3 clone, but I'd need a set of heads. Most cars in this class run low to mid 11's.

Because the Daytona has already been started, my focus at this time is still on it. But I can at least buy my parts (as necessary) in pairs. With a green interior, I can probably find a lot of NOS stuff.

I may and try to get the car up and running, but probably with a Chevy 4.3L V6. While there is nothing wrong with a Stude OHV 6, the Chevy has almost 3 times the horsepower. It'll probably need a complete brake job. I may just get the brakes out of the way with a Jim Turner Kit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Tom: Congrats on the purchase. You're right, that will be an excellent F.A.S.T. candidate.

I note the Hamilton-type body tags on the cowl; is it a Hamilton-built car to which a colored steering wheel was added somewhere along the way? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Maybe an older Caddy engine with some really big cubes and mega compression under stock stude valve covers would look stock enough for the Ch**y and F**d guys to be fooled. Go baby go.

sals54
      sals54

Comment

Another way to go would be with a '65-66 car with a roller cam, roller lifter, roller rocker, 434" SBC under the 283" rocker covers. A Powershift would handle the strain and meet the rule. Eleven seconds would be a piece of cake.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

Maybe an older Caddy engine with some really big cubes and mega compression under stock stude valve covers would look stock enough for the Ch**y and F**d guys to be fooled. Go baby go.
          Sorry, Sal. Somehow I don't think they'd let me thru tech. I think by now that they've seen enough Studes to not be that easily fooled.

Bob, as silly as this sounds, I looked most for rust and that was it. Didn't bother with the cowl tags, serial number, etc. [:I][)]. I'll know a little more this weekend after bringing it home. I missed the O/D too [:I].

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

You know Tom; what that engine very well COULD be, is one that had the head checked, repaired, or replaced and a valve job done, note fairly fresh paint on the head, Valve Cover & Cap! [^]

And the bottom end, who knows if was rebuilt before parking it, a lot of times when you do the top end, then the bottom end blows up! In that case it would make someone a good rare non-cracked hard to find CYL.HEAD ...[u]maybe!</u> [:0]

At least it has a nice straight body! Good score! [^]

Then too, if the backside of some panels are rusted, you'll have a pre-lightened race car!

Hey! I just spotted that '61-'63 Front bumper, it actually looks pretty neat with the flat in the center to match the Grille! There's at least a pound or two less without the wraparound!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Tom, good job jumping on that beauty! That interior will probably even clean up nice with some soap and water!

Nice little light sedan... she'll be a goer when you're done!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard
              http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
              www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Another way to go would be with a '65-66 car with a roller cam, roller lifter, roller rocker, 434" SBC under the 283" rocker covers. A Powershift would handle the strain and meet the rule. Eleven seconds would be a piece of cake.
                Jack, without being able to document a four barrel manifold being used by Studebaker on their 283, I couldn't use it. The casting numbers on the heads and intake need to match the engine used. The carb also has to be the same (numbers don't have to match) size and type as original. Heck, the Chebby would also cut 200 lbs off the front end.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom,

Now that I have hooked you with the car, let me sell you a set of NOS fenders as well as a NOS hood. If you are going to Lancaster, you will come right through Richmond.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                  Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I'd be interested, but I wasn't going to Lancaster. I'm looking to go to Virginia Motorsports Park in Petersburg, VA. It's in the middle of October.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

OK, so here come the questions. Was the rubber mat standard on a Commander or did they get carpet? Is the windshield washer standard, or did you have to pay extra? Arm rests all around or just the driver's door like a Challenger? Could you order bucket seats? Without the console?

What came as part of a 'Package' car? Traction bars, a 4-speed, emblems and...what?

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

I'd be interested, but I wasn't going to Lancaster. I'm looking to go to Virginia Motorsports Park in Petersburg, VA. It's in the middle of October.
                        Tom,

That will put you about 45 minutes from me.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Congrats, Tom. You've got a good one to start with. It's kinda' like mine when I found it 27 years ago. Lots of fun puttin' one like this together. Yep, the light weight deffinately makes a difference in the performance. According to the 1964 dealer specification book, the Commander out weighs the Challenger by a whopping 35 lbs. Must be the carpet, right side visor, one arm rest, and the extra chrome. According to the same book, the Challenger V8 model could not be optioned with any of the R series engines. They were available starting with the Commander models. Good luck with your new project. Let me know if I can help.
                          It would be a big benefit to you to git your hands on one of these dealer showroom books, tells you all the options and tech. data.

Dan Miller
                          ATlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Hi, Tom,

You can make more than enough horsepower with a 2-bbl intake. The best SBC 2bbl intakes have "313" or "467" as the last three digits of the casting number. These are non-egr intakes used on the 350" from 69-70. The 313 with "Canada" cast on it is supposed to be the best. You can get the manifolds from Kinetic Performance for around 100 bucks. Have that sucker ExtrudeHoned and then you can get a good flowing cheater 680 CFM Rochester 2G also from Kinetic Performance. They rejet their 2CGs for Holley jets. All that on a well-built 434" will give an easy, reliable 450 HP.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                            PackardV8

Comment

I don't know. Seems like the Rags-to-R3 or whatever scenario is easier said than done. With that in mind, that car might make a good candidate to simply clean up, get running, put a blanket on the seat, and tool around in on a daily basis, like a true CASO. You can actually get more satisfaction PER MILE(spm) with a car like this one, than a car you've slaved away on for years and spent a small fortune. The car is complete, looks like the motor has had some attention, and with the price of gas and everything else going up, you may want to think twice about tearing down car #2(this one) for however long, maybe eternity. Just my opinion, FWIW.

Comment

Working...
                              X