These '53 parts fit what else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These '53 parts fit what else?

I have a friend in Marion, Indiana, that has a radiator, left rear fender, and a trunk lid for a '53 coupe and also a radiator from a '53 sedan. He wants to advertise them and would like to know what other years and models they might fit. Anyone know? If anyone is interested in any of these items, email me and I'll give you his phone number.

Ted

Well, Ted; unless he's sure the radiators are really good, he'll probably get more $$$ for them locally as scrap than trying to sell them as radiators of unknown usefulness, especially when shipping is factored in.

As you know, the deck lid will actually fit any 1953-1955 C or K body...and even through 1964, if someone wants a non-Hawk deck lid. The LR fender will fit any 1953-1961 C or K body...or even a 1962-1964, if someone is willing to do the little work to the upper rear corners that would be required for a Gran Turismo Hawk application.

"All the above" is assuming these are dusty used parts that have been sitting around. If they are NOS parts that have never been on a car, then he'd want to sell the radiators to fellow Stude nuts, too...and the sheet metal would be worth good money! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The radiators are different six vs. V8, so be sure to specify. They'll fit 53 through early 55 (4 lb. cap) cars with the same engine and same body style. not sure if they are the same C-K or sedan.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Sedan and C-K rads do not interchange. I don't know if I'd be so quick to sign them off as scrap metal tho. As long as the tanks are useable, they're worth holding back from the Chinese!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs, can you explain in more detail? I have a radiator from a 55 commander sedan that sets in my 53 coupe support just fine and the hood closes without a problem. What am I missing?

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
          "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

The trunk lid outer (appearance) is correct for a 1953-1955 C/K (Starlight coupe/Starliner hardtop for 1953-1954 and coupes/hardtops for 1955) as well as 1958 Packard Hawk. The inner panel is only correct for 1953-1954.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, I confess, I've never personally taken a radiator OUT of a sedan (of that era) and put it INTO a C-K car. That said, I DO have a radiator that was given to me by a very knowledgeable vendor and it was presented to me as a C-K radiator. It doesn't fit in either of my 53 coupes. It's too tall. I assumed it was probably a sedan and my donor friend had picked up the wrong one!
              You made me yank my parts book off the shelf and flip to the cooling section. I see where one size fits all, so whatever this rad came from, it wasn't of the 53-4-5 era. Sure looks like it should tho.

I have stepped on my own tongue enough times to where even if I'm FAIRLY certain about an interchange (and there's some things I AM certain about - like the 47 thru 52 trunk lids that were recently discussed)I'll check the parts books before I say something.
              My upcoming "definitive article" on horn buttons, and the application thereof, will likely result in my being drubbed with this correction and that. After it's been reviewed by everyone, I'll tell of the mysteries I encountered in trying to identify a few of the early postwar horn buttons. I called parts vendors and car owners in an attempt to sort out a couple of questions and there's still a couple of lingering gray areas.
              Anyway, I do what I can. I figure it's better than sitting mute.[B)]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Biggsie, maybe your 'sedan' radiator is from an early Hawk? I know we had to put in a '53 radiator in the Power Hawk when we swapped it to a '53 front end.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I used a radiator out of a 55 sedan in my 53 modified. It is the same fit. If you are talking about "correct" that's a different story. Most all the original radiators have a date code plate anyway for the "correct" cars. I have an original 53 4 door and the radiator in it is exactly the same as my original 53 C car. The tanks on different models are stamped different, because of the pressure increase on newer cars, so the appearance is different.

Tex in Alabama

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
                  X