Cracked block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked block

Ugh. I gave a fellow near my home $100 for a '62 Stude V8, and tore it down for a rebuild. Dropped the block at the machine shop a few days ago and got a call they found 2 cracks. It would be around $325 to fix and I'm leaning toward having them recycle the block and just shelve the heads, crank, rods, etc.
    Breaks my heart to lose another block, but $325 added to machining and parts would be a killer for me. WWYD?

Western Washington, USA

Depends on where it's cracked. Is it a full flow block?
    Might be worth hanging onto for a later date if it's otherwise good.

I have one that two of the main webs were pulled..very badly. Looks like someone used a high power air or electric hammer on it to tighten the main cap fasteners.
    Spider webbed up into the lighter part of the main web.
    No saving this one!

Mike

Comment

I guess as long as the guy fixing the cracks is not having a bad day then you're in good shape. But to me an engine block is the very foundation of a build; not something that can be changed out if it fails like a distributor or carb. Junk it.

Comment

It's not full-flow and the cracks are in the valley, I'm told. That doesn't sound as serious as cylinder walls...but I guess it takes something hotter than my mig to heal it.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Let's have some pics. In the web part of the valley they can be ground out. But if they are up on the back of the cylinders under the ledge you might run into water. Odd place for cracks though. Unless the block has been in freezing weather with water in it.

Comment

Tom,
            I'm in Sacramento and have a full flow and an early block both of which you may have if you want them. Just let me know if someone is coming down this way. I'll help load them onto the truck.

sals54
            sals54

Comment

FWIW, standard 224", 259", 289" blocks are usually around free for the hauling away. I wouldn't put any time or effort into repairing a cracked pre-full-flow block.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X