What shifter do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What shifter do I have?

Excuse my ignorance, and the lousy pictures, but maybe someone can tell me what shifter I have.

I assumed it was the stock one, but it feels too 'tight' to be original. Anyone know for sure?

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Looks stock to me. Probably no lube and just bound up. Use your squirt can of oil, lube it up and tons of slop will appear. Temporary fix, should have either bearing or moly grease.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

quote:Use your squirt can of oil, lube it up and tons of slop will appear.
      If that's the case, I think I'll choose not to grease it. [)]

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Just drive it a bit. The engine's designed to "grease" everything aft of it anyway.[:0]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, the car was a regular driver prior to getting wrecked two months ago.

It feels more like a Hurst than a stock one. Could be wishful thinking, though.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I had a new Hurst Competition Plus in my '54 with a relatively short stick (repro '65 Corvette stick and ball) and a stock Stude shifter in my '63.

The Hurst was definitely "notchier" and probably due to the short stick, had a much narrower gate. Easy to power shift. Never miss a racing shift. OTOH, you had to be somewhat familiar with it in order to drive it normally. Third gear starts were common with first time drivers as were 1st to 4th shifts. It took some effort (more than the stock shifter) to change gears...perhaps also due to the shorter stick.

The stock shifter was smooth and positive. Longer throws (longer stick), but it never rattled, the gears were easily found. Easy for a beginner to drive. I've heard only bad press about the stock shifters, but that was not my experience. I liked it.

For a daily driver (cruiser) I'd take the stock shifter. For a hot rod, the Hurst.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree Dick. Stock shifter works fine unless You are drag racing (been there..done that)

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
              Lewisville,NC
              sigpic
              1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
              Lewisville,NC

Comment

First things first - PARDON THE HUGE PICTURE - but you can see detail.

Matt, I am certainly no expert, but if you look at the pics here, you will see that this shifter is much different than your shifter. THis is the shifter I took out of my 63, replaced with a Hurst, and sold on ebay. This shifter was VERY sloppy. Your pics "might" be a Hurst - but there isn't too much visible!

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Thanks for the pics George. That one is MUCH different than mine. Mine has a removable handle. I'll get better pics from under the car when we unload it off the trailer.

Dick, the first time I drove Joe's R2 Daytona, I started out in 3rd gear. That R2 has so much power, I didn't even notice until I tried to shift to '3rd'. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that you likely have a Hurst. Here are 3 shots of my shifter from the same position as yours. Don't look at the handle, just look at the mechanism. You see how the handle mount and the surrounding bracket is the same as yours? your handle has the 2 bolt mount, like a Hurst. Many mid-60s GM products used Hurst shifters with their own handles. Just because your handle isn't flat chromed steel with HURST imprinted doesn't mean the shifter isn't Hurst!

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

I think it is a Hurst with the stock lever welded on. Not a bad find. If it's worn out, you could rebuild it with a "pit pack" (bushing and clip kit) and a new shifter assembly for a lot less cost than buying a whole shifter kit.

Crawl under the car (or pull the carpet and the fiberglas shift plate) and look on the side of the shifter body. It should say "Hurst Competition/Plus" on the side if my guess is correct.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

yes, George but that flat lever looks cooler than stock! (I've made the sacrifice for the sake of keeping my bench seat... think I can convince anyone that a 4-speed was a rare special order option in 1955? <G&gt

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

George, If you do a lot of driving with your Hurst, you may consider back nutting with a lock washer, the through bolts on the shifter handle. Mine had come loose a couple of times till I put the extra lock washers and nuts on it.

sals54
                          sals54

Comment

My bad.[B)] It in fact does look like what you suspect. Just at first glance, and the round shifter, it didn't look like a Hurst. In looking closer and comparing to the other pictures, I believe you've hit a home run on that one. Will make a nice ride when you're done, Matt.

Dan Miller
                            Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                            Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

I couldn't be happier. Cool deal! Thanks for proving my theory correct, fellas. [8D]

I'm off work tomorrow, so I'll pull out the carpet (which is actually really nice) and take off that fiberglass piece.

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X