Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Gary - we're both wrong. The years haven't been kind to the minor details in my head and this would seem to include the model year of the Derby I drove. Here's a link to some description of the sort that I took several spins in.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/ot...61629008ss.htm

The one I had exposure to was a very tired example and it eventually ended up in the hands of someone with the money and interest to do it justice. I don't remember WHO this was but he was a wealthy, younger guy as I recall. Really, there were so many cars that I got to drive that I certainly don't remember half of them!
    I guess this car stuck with me because even tho I was considerably of less mass at that time, I had a heck of a time getting INTO and OUT OF that tiny thing. Being basically single-seat and having a huge diameter steering wheel, one had to be double-jointed to wriggle in past that big, wooden-rimmed wheel and nestle into the seat that seemed almost on the ground!
    With no electric starter, you were at the mercy of an assistant to do the cranking. And the tired little 4-banger was always reluctant to fire up.
    BTW, this was about 1973 or 4 and I could've owned that skate for less than $10K. May have been priced as little as $4K, but my recollection's too foggy now. Besides, I wasn't particularly interested in it other than as a curiosity and something I had to deal with in the course of my job.

BTW, I love vintage British cars and that fascination came about from my exposure to them. Here's one that I had at my disposal for some time. Man, I loved this baby! It had a sound to it that could only be matched by an AT-6 taking off! Little, ODD-Looking 4-banger that was hard-pressed to take you faster than 75, but that didn't matter when you were ensconsed in the wood and aluminum that made up this extremely attractive roadster!

http://www.lfoc.org/LFOC_0635_Vehicl...4hp_Sports.htm

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Not the oldest, but I owned, and drove a 1928 Amilcar CGSs. A boat tail roadster, with a small 4 cyl. engine. They don't have to be fast to be fun. It's one I should not have let get away.
      I drive a stock 1929 Model A roadster pickup on the streets in the summer now as a regular car.
      Klif

55 Speedster
      42 Champ Coupe
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

Not the oldest, but I owned, and drove a 1928 Amilcar CGSs. A boat tail roadster, with a small 4 cyl. engine. They don't have to be fast to be fun. It's one I should not have let get away.
        I drive a stock 1929 Model A roadster pickup on the streets in the summer now as a regular car.
        Klif

55 Speedster
        42 Champ Coupe
        55 Speedster/Street Machine
        63 Avanti R2
        64 Convertible R1

Comment

1905 International high wheel. It was almost a just wagon with steering, rubber covered wheels, and a opposed 2-cyl air cooled engine. Chain drive. The farm family that owned it kept it out in the barn. That was in 1982.
          Rob

Comment

1905 International high wheel. It was almost a just wagon with steering, rubber covered wheels, and a opposed 2-cyl air cooled engine. Chain drive. The farm family that owned it kept it out in the barn. That was in 1982.
            Rob

Comment

I 'drove' an 1880 Studebaker wagon once.
              2 horsepower, to boot! Gee Haw!
              Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
              Brooklet, Georgia
              '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
              '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
              '61 Hawk (project)
              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I 'drove' an 1880 Studebaker wagon once.
                2 horsepower, to boot! Gee Haw!
                Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                Brooklet, Georgia
                '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                '61 Hawk (project)
                http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Rob, there's one of those in an old mercantile store about 15 miles from me. The store actually SOLD them when they were new! Now it just sits in the front part of the store where you can see it from the street.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Rob, there's one of those in an old mercantile store about 15 miles from me. The store actually SOLD them when they were new! Now it just sits in the front part of the store where you can see it from the street.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Gee Haw? Oi. Yes that would include my old Roof Seat brake and my Holland and Co. 1897 Gig (that's a two-wheeled gentleman's carriage of the nineteenth century).

But I believe that Matt designated automobiles. I learned to drive in an early 20s Model T Ford. The old man had a sense of humor and let me discover the disadvantage of 'gravity feed' fuel. He thought it was funny anyway.

Lotsa Larks!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Gee Haw? Oi. Yes that would include my old Roof Seat brake and my Holland and Co. 1897 Gig (that's a two-wheeled gentleman's carriage of the nineteenth century).

But I believe that Matt designated automobiles. I learned to drive in an early 20s Model T Ford. The old man had a sense of humor and let me discover the disadvantage of 'gravity feed' fuel. He thought it was funny anyway.

Lotsa Larks!
                        Ron Smith
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

In the early 1960s I rode in a 1903 curved-dash Olds runabout. I don't know if it was an original or a replica, but I do remember that it spit oil everywhere. I drove a 1929 Ford to high school and college (also in the early 1960s--I still own it)and own the remains of a 1913(?) Overland. Sadly, there is not much left. It basically is yard art unless someone needs a block or chassis or front axle or firewall.

jj

Comment

In the early 1960s I rode in a 1903 curved-dash Olds runabout. I don't know if it was an original or a replica, but I do remember that it spit oil everywhere. I drove a 1929 Ford to high school and college (also in the early 1960s--I still own it)and own the remains of a 1913(?) Overland. Sadly, there is not much left. It basically is yard art unless someone needs a block or chassis or front axle or firewall.

jj

Comment

quote:But I believe that Matt designated automobiles. I learned to drive in an early 20s Model T Ford. The old man had a sense of humor and let me discover the disadvantage of 'gravity feed' fuel. He thought it was funny anyway.
                              Well, that was my initial request; what automobile. But 'horse-less carriages' count as well.

quote:I separate riding in a parking lot, on a show field, on private grounds, etc. from using a car on a public highway in traffic (as it was intended to be used).
                              As far as this poll goes, so long as you actually sat in it and it moved under its own power, we'll count it.

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
                              http://thestudillac.blogspot.com/ (Studillac info wanted!)

Comment

quote:But I believe that Matt designated automobiles. I learned to drive in an early 20s Model T Ford. The old man had a sense of humor and let me discover the disadvantage of 'gravity feed' fuel. He thought it was funny anyway.
                                Well, that was my initial request; what automobile. But 'horse-less carriages' count as well.

quote:I separate riding in a parking lot, on a show field, on private grounds, etc. from using a car on a public highway in traffic (as it was intended to be used).
                                As far as this poll goes, so long as you actually sat in it and it moved under its own power, we'll count it.

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
                                http://thestudillac.blogspot.com/ (Studillac info wanted!)

Comment

Working...
                                X