This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Silverhawk Sold In Huntsville, AL

Hello I am posting this in the hopes that I may get some guidance and information as to how to go about trying to track down my father's 1959 Silverhawk sold in Huntsville, AL in 1961 to pay for my birth. It was a burgandy or maroon color and my mother believed that it was a 4 door. My father passed away almost two years ago and I wished I would have had the insight to have learned more about this special vehicle before he passed. Better still I wished there would have been some crazy way I could have gotten it back for him before he did pass away. As my brothers have always been kind of sore at the fact that he had to sell it because of me. If it is still around I would request pictures of it to give to my mother and brothers and sister. And maybe we can all start to heal a little. Thank you for any information or suggestions that I may be given for this crazy idea of mine!
    Sincerely,
    mydaddys_silverhawk

I believe that we would need better information to lend much of a hand. If it was a Silver Hawk, it was two doors. If it was a 1959 Studebaker with four doors, it was a Lark. There is a big difference. There is probably a very slight chance that the car still exists. You would need to dig up the number that it was registered/titled with, either engine or serial number, in order to have a chance to trace the car. Do you have anything further to go on, such as; bill of sale for purchase or sale, registration or title papers, pictures?

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe that we would need better information to lend much of a hand. If it was a Silver Hawk, it was two doors. If it was a 1959 Studebaker with four doors, it was a Lark. There is a big difference. There is probably a very slight chance that the car still exists. You would need to dig up the number that it was registered/titled with, either engine or serial number, in order to have a chance to trace the car. Do you have anything further to go on, such as; bill of sale for purchase or sale, registration or title papers, pictures?

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thank you studegary! That is just the info. I needed to know in how to get started. My mother lives in another state and she may be able to retrieve that info. - not sure though. Did they have VIN numbers then? Because I thought perhaps she may have old records of that somewhere. And it was definately a Silverhawk....because, heck that is all I heard growing up! Every now and then the subject would come up.... "How Daddy had to sell the Silverhawk because of me!!" LOL! Geez! But again thank you so much for "steering" me in the right direction!
        Best Regards,
        Sara
        Kingsland, GA

Comment

Thank you studegary! That is just the info. I needed to know in how to get started. My mother lives in another state and she may be able to retrieve that info. - not sure though. Did they have VIN numbers then? Because I thought perhaps she may have old records of that somewhere. And it was definately a Silverhawk....because, heck that is all I heard growing up! Every now and then the subject would come up.... "How Daddy had to sell the Silverhawk because of me!!" LOL! Geez! But again thank you so much for "steering" me in the right direction!
          Best Regards,
          Sara
          Kingsland, GA

Comment

My grandad has a jet black '57 Silver Hawk (nearly identical to a '59)

Here's a black and white pic of it.

I see that you're in Kingsland. We're in Hazlehurst, just a couple hours away. If you're ever in the area, stop by and have a look at our cars! We have about 20 or so 'runner' Studebakers, plus several more junkers.

http://mbstudebaker.blogspot.com/
            http://thestudillac.blogspot.com/2006/10/studillac.html (Studillac info wanted!)

Comment

My grandad has a jet black '57 Silver Hawk (nearly identical to a '59)

Here's a black and white pic of it.

I see that you're in Kingsland. We're in Hazlehurst, just a couple hours away. If you're ever in the area, stop by and have a look at our cars! We have about 20 or so 'runner' Studebakers, plus several more junkers.

http://thestudillac.blogspot.com/2006/10/studillac.html (Studillac info wanted!)

Comment

The cars then did not have anything identified as a VIN. The cars had serial numbers, engine numbers and body numbers. VIN stands for vehicle identification number. Some states used the serial number as the VIN and other states used the engine number as the VIN. New York State used the engine number for the VIN in the '50s, but someone from Alabama will have to tell you what they used at that time. In any event, post any number that you can locate on this forum and someone will tell you what the number is and probably more.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The cars then did not have anything identified as a VIN. The cars had serial numbers, engine numbers and body numbers. VIN stands for vehicle identification number. Some states used the serial number as the VIN and other states used the engine number as the VIN. New York State used the engine number for the VIN in the '50s, but someone from Alabama will have to tell you what they used at that time. In any event, post any number that you can locate on this forum and someone will tell you what the number is and probably more.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Hey Matthew,
                    Yeah I thought I saw someone from Georgia and Hazlehurst sounded familiar. Is Hazelhurst near Homerville? Thank you for your post and the pics....they're awesome! Do y'all sell your cars or is this just a family inherited hobby? Thanks again!
                    Sara
                    Kingsland (GO DAWGS!!)

Comment

Hey Matthew,
                      Yeah I thought I saw someone from Georgia and Hazlehurst sounded familiar. Is Hazelhurst near Homerville? Thank you for your post and the pics....they're awesome! Do y'all sell your cars or is this just a family inherited hobby? Thanks again!
                      Sara
                      Kingsland (GO DAWGS!!)

Comment

Hi Gary! Thanks a lot for the education on VINS and for also your continued feedback. As soon as I learn more I will definately post as many numbers as I can gather from my mother!
                        Sara
                        Kingsland, GA

Comment

Hi Gary! Thanks a lot for the education on VINS and for also your continued feedback. As soon as I learn more I will definately post as many numbers as I can gather from my mother!
                          Sara
                          Kingsland, GA

Comment

quote:Hey Matthew,
                            Sara
                            Kingsland
                            I;m not sure where Homerville is. I think I've heard of it though. [)]
                            No, our cars are not for sale. (The runners are keepers) There's enough interest in my whole family that everyone has to have a couple. (More than 1 at least!) [^]

Comment

quote:Hey Matthew,
                              Sara
                              Kingsland
                              I;m not sure where Homerville is. I think I've heard of it though. [)]
                              No, our cars are not for sale. (The runners are keepers) There's enough interest in my whole family that everyone has to have a couple. (More than 1 at least!) [^]

Comment

Working...
                              X