Paint Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Scheme

O.K. I'll through caution to the wind again at the risk of offending the "loyalists" out there......
    Here goes:

I've been looking quite a lot for a two tone paint scheme idea for my 53 champion ht. When I got it, it was red w/ a white roof ( stock). Despite the fact that nothing is stock anywhere else, I intend to keep the body stock. read un-molested. I DO-NOT want to paint it back the same way. And Ive seen the usual two tone schemes on the fender following the inside of the body line. has anybody seen a cool two tone that works w/ this car? Hell, it doesn't have to be a full two tone, I just want something different. I can't see it regardless of how many hours I spend staring at the car. (my wife is starting to worry)

Well,....This is ANOTHER fine mess I've gotten myself into.

Ghost flames under the paint on the front end? []

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by madmike
      And Ive seen the usual two tone schemes on the fender following the inside of the body line.
      I can't visualize what you are describing. Can you post a picture of one?

IMHO, these cars look best one color. The shape of the car is near perfect, and two tones (especially "creative" ones), just seem to break things up and mask the beautiful shape of the car. Same with flames and even striping.

I'm far from a purist, but there are a few cars that just don't like two tones. IMHO, this is one of them...also a mid year Corvette, E Type Jag, most Ferraris, 911 type Porsches.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

There was a picture in the Dec 2007 Turning Wheels on page 38 of Bob Mann's scalloped hardtop I really liked.I too prefer these cars solid color but that scheme really set the car off.I think it is much better than the whole paint the inset routine.Just my opinion,but afterall,everybodys entitled to my opinion.Steve
        sigpic

Comment

This is where I saw one of the two tones I was trying to describe. Definately NOT what I have in mind.
          www.carnut.com/show/06/ggdal/dal0433.jpg
          I agree though, as "roundy" as these cars are w/ no real seperation point between the top and bottom of the car, a single color might be my only choice.

Comment

That two-tone-on-the-cove device makes me think of pre-WWII Bugattis...another of my favourite makes. That grey and white one in the pic looks smart, but I have to agree, Mr Bourke's coupes/HTs are such a faultless shape, one colo(u)r is probably best! Next best, a very subtle two-tone on the roof alone--using a shade that is just barely lighter or darker than that on the main bodyshell?

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by madmike

This is where I saw one of the two tones I was trying to describe. Definately NOT what I have in mind.
              www.carnut.com/show/06/ggdal/dal0433.jpg
              I agree though, as "roundy" as these cars are w/ no real seperation point between the top and bottom of the car, a single color might be my only choice.
              I'm with Dick on preferring solid colors. HOWEVER, the very first '53 Starliner I ever saw (back in '53 or '54) was a solid white car with a pale lavendar color feathered away from the body crease like the white area on the car you linked to. It was absolutely stunning and may be the reason I have been attracted to Studebakers ever since.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
              1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I fell in love with the singletone Manchester Maroon C/K in 1953.
                When I saw my '53 on a used car lot in 1976 I probably would not have bought it if it had not been singletone Manchester Maroon. It's a color reserved for royalty.
                Others may be gorgeous but they just don't strike that nerve that hit me in 1953.

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

The only way that I like '53 Starliners two-toned is the way that the factory did it, but even then I do not like all of the possible color combinations.
                  I do not like a similar (factory) two-tone on a Starlight. There is too much conflict with the window frame area and the roof. I think that Starlights look best in a single color.
                  Like Bob Bourke, I think that dark colors look best on C/Ks.

There used to be a stainless steel trim kit available to divide off the cove style two-tone. This helps some. I haven't seen one of those trim kits for sale in a few years. I think that that method of two-tone visually shortens the car.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X