What is it made out of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it made out of?

What is the cushion material that goes between the frame and the body on the 1950 Champion. It looks like rubberized conveyor belt material.

1950 2 timer
    Orleans, Indiana
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

quote:Originally posted by Jimmie

What is the cushion material that goes between the frame and the body on the 1950 Champion. It looks like rubberized conveyor belt material.

1950 2 timer
    Orleans, Indiana
    It could be, if they had a lot of worn-out conveyor belts from some source that week.

More likely, the cushions are simply pieces of worn-out tires that were cut to size and punched with holes to be used on the assembly lines. That's what they usually were. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

WOW Bob!! That explains so much! I always wondered why those cushions had some of the characteristics that they do.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

WOW Bob!! That explains so much! I always wondered why those cushions had some of the characteristics that they do.
        Yeah, Bob; they are kind of like snowflakes: No two are exactly alike! (Seriously!) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I've come across some with a section of whitewall visible.[:0]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The original piece I just took off of my replacement trans cross member was definitely a section of side wall from a whitewall tire.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
            "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

More likely, the cushions are simply pieces of worn-out tires that were cut to size and punched with holes to be used on the assembly lines. That's what they usually were. BP
              Now that's some funny stuff right there, I don't care who you are. I guess I'll save the old tires for when the body goes back on the frame...[)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
              X