No announcement yet.

Studevisit...More Than An Experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studevisit...More Than An Experience...

Travelling on the road a lot has it's perks.
    One is to 'Studevisit' every chance I get.
    (Oh, BTW, that light blue 48'ish Land Cruiser is still for sale in Maysville, NC)
    I had to go to New Bern and Jacksonville, NC today.
    Stopped in to visit Jimmy Clark and see the progress on his '37 CE hot rod.
    Jimmy started with a rusted CE that needed a ton of work.
    He has methodically worked over about 90% of every square inch of rusted sheet metal on it.
    I am even humbled a bit by what he has set out to accomplish.
    And all of it done out of a one car garage in his back yard.
    Good guy to the bone...
    (Apologies for the pic quality...The pic's are from my phone)
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Looks like it's going to be a sweet ride!
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Nice job so far, any anticipated completion date? And what a nice atmosphere to cocoon ones self in to work, especially with the amount of work a vehicle from the 30's requires.

And those seats.....seem eriely familiar.[^]

Chop Stu
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for sharing the pics Jeff. One day Jimmy's brother came to my door asking about Studebakers and he left Jimmy's number with my wife. That was when he was looking for a coupe express. I recall going on the old Studebaker newsgroup and your emailing me about this very car being availabe. I looks like he has made a lot of progress. If I recall correctly it was somewhat of a basket case.

1957 Packard Clipper
        1958 Golden Hawk
        1963 Daytona Convertible
        1963 R2 Daytona
        1963 R2 GT Hawk
        1963 R1 Wagonaire
        1963 R4 Avanti
        1964 Champ
        1966 Cruiser

Comment

The SDC community has always been a major source of support for me during this project. Jeff, Michael, Mike, and numerous other "Stude-heads" have enabled me to keep a full head of hair, over the last two years. Without their help, I would have pulled most of it out a long time ago. Working on an old Studebaker for me is "for sure" an exercise in mechanical tenacity, but the real passion that keeps me motivated is the fact that I'm fortunate enough to come home every day after work, make myself a cup of coffee, walk out to my workshop, and actually "touch" history. I understand even within the Studebaker community there are "fractions". Some folks identify themselves as strictly traditionalists. In my view they represent the "gate-keepers". They are pure, unblemished, and rigidly defend the "rewriting" of history. I respect them, and everything they represent. I wish I was, but I'm not a traditionalist. It is logistically impossible for me to be so. I need a vehicle that I can drive every day at both city, and interstate speeds. Being a creature of comfort, I've succumbed to the pleasure of air conditioning on hot summer days etc, etc. The problem I have is one of passion....I'm absolutely awestruck with the bodylines of old Studebakers. The solution is obviously a compromise of sorts...give up any chance of claiming the title "traditionalist", in exchange for a contemporary drivetrain. I made that choice a long time ago. I personally don't see an area of contention with either path, and feel that both (if done correctly) require a tremendous amount of dedication and persistence. Jimmy p.s. Jeff is a great guy, and good friend...but he drinks girly-beer! http://community.webshots.com/user/Jimmy655

Comment

No need to apologize for the pics...or the truck! Both look very good. Congrats indeed on a daunting project. One sweet-street machine coming up! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That sweet little truck is going to make the remaining CEs go up in value once it hits the streets.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
              "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]Travelling on the road a lot has it's perks.

So when are you going to finally make it out to the left coast for a visit <g>?

Jeff G.

1951 Rod
                1962 Champ
                1963 Avanti R1
                1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                1964 Daytona Convertible
                2006 Avanti Convertible
                1951 Custom
                1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                1962 Champ
                1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                1963 Avanti R1
                1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Good post, Jimmy; well said. And, great project!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

It's on the list... I just hope it isn't a bucket list
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jgrohs
                    So when are you going to finally make it out to the left coast for a visit &lt;g&gt;?

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                    Travelling on the road a lot has it's perks.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Stopped by Jimmy's place last night (Aug 12, 08).
                      He's had his CE apart and back together a hundred times since I last saw it.
                      A lot of the bits and pieces that make a ride something special are all mounted and fit to a 'T'...
                      Not only is Jimmy a good builder, he's killer on his home turf tossing darts.
                      (The fact that he trusted me with something sharp and pointy is noteable...[:0][B)])
                      Jeff

(sorry for the cheap camera phone pic)

Jeff

Comment

Cool! Looks like it'll be a sweet ride when done. Just don't let him paint it yellow. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Nope.. No yellow, no way[:0]
                          He has a taste for two tone green...
                          I would love to see it in teal...
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Cool! Looks like it'll be a sweet ride when done. Just don't let him paint it yellow. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                          X