Dreaming about a road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaming about a road trip

In another thread a couple weeks ago, I saw a link to the Potomac Chapter's Route 66 trip from 2003- must have been an incredible experience!

I have long dreamed about traveling the length of old Route 66 myself. It'd be awesome to do it in a Studebaker! Anyone thinking about doing another trip like this one? Here's the link:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Route66/tripticket.html

Take a few minutes to go through the whole journey- well worth the effort!

I also read Lennart's thread on their Meet in Sweden, and it got my mind going- has anyone ever attempted to take a few Studes to Europe and tour? It seems almost impossible to do, but if it could, it may be the ULTIMATE Stude experience... and I'd hock the farm to be in![][8D]

Anyone got the ability (and intestinal fortitude!) to plan and assemble trips like these??

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Well, as mentioned before, I'm planning on doing Route 66 in 2010 with a few non-Stude guys and then doing the National Meet in Glendale, AZ. All I know at this point is that our first overnight stop will be in St. Louis. We're tracking down the old sections between Chicago and St. Louis along with points of interest. I have approximately 10 days to pull the trip of before heading to AZ.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Bob, the Potomac Chapter has done a lot of great tours lately. We are planning one for next year that they did last fall through West VA. Those from the KRC that took the trip were thrilled so we plan on doing it for our Fall Tour. yes, it will be a three dayer, but well worth it. So come on down and go with us. Can't do it this year because of the International Meet but we thought about it.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

[)]If any of you R66 worshipers come through Amarillo, give me a shout.[)]

steve blake
        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
        steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Maybe a group of Studes could drive US 1 from Maine to Key West. I'm only about 20 miles from that old road.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Bob , for sure do a good road trip ....we took our Champ on a trip from up here in Niagara to Texas and then up to the Omaha meet ...was a great time ...got to drive on route 66 in 3 different states...the wife thought that was one of our best holidays ever too ! I'd like to do another one for the Arizona meet but we'll have to wait and see just how bad gas prices are going to get

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
            1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I may have posted this before, but since I'm not too sure-
              here is a link that may be helpful~

http://www.cruise66.com/index.php?page=route

They hit quite a bit of the "Mother Road", and saw plenty along the way as well!!!
              There are many links throughout the site- take a look around.

StudeDave [8D]
              San Diego, Ca.
              San Diego County SDC

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
              '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
              '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Something to contemplate after retirement kicks in for sure!![8D]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                May 23-25, 2009?
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Obviously I need to get the car done first, but tying a European trip with a 'International' Meet in Sweden, Germany or any other EU country would be a lot of fun I would think. Nothing like glasspacks rattling off the glass on a narrow street...[}]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Thanks for that link, Dave. I think you posted it before, as I'd seen it previously. That would be what I'd love to do in Europe[8D]

The Potomac Chapter's trip is the ultimate; but I got thinking about it- 6000 miles[:0] That's a LOT of miles... I'm not sure I could do that before retirement (10 more years minimum)... but I wouldn't rule it out

Brings up another thought... what to drive? It's no problem to tear a car down and go over the mechanicals thouroghly; but what to build for a trip like that? I was thinking the r2 5spd. Daytona Skytop... but then I think, that's an expensive trip as it is- imagine a premium-fuel gas guzzler like the r2, with the questionable durability, at today's prices... let alone whatever it might cost then[B)] And I'm thinking not having A/C would be miserable...

So then I'd likely be better off to build a different Stude for that purpose- 259 3spd. O/D, 4 door or wagon, with aftermarket A/C.

It's fun to consider the possibilities[]

To give the idea even more legs, Lennart Hopstadius from Sweden wrote this in another thread:

The cost for transportation a car in a Container from
                    New York to Gotenburg in Sweden = 1400-1600 USD,

An idea could be,
                    Take your studebakers to Great Britain or Holland,
                    Driving them thru Europe,
                    Ending up in Sweden,
                    And sell your cars to us.

I could see doing that for sure (with enough advance planning)...maybe even the selling part...[^] In fact, that might be a plan to make it affordable- buy a car especially for the trip, freshen the mechanicals, line up a buyer in Sweden for an agreed-upon price, do the trip, and fly home!

I'm in!!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

An ambition of mine, since getting the PO for my Lark (and, earlier, the Ontario government's UVIP listing of a number of prior owners), is to do a road trip taking in all the car's former "haunts". Was actually planning such a voyage for this month, but then the car began experiencing various gremlins, mostly electrical, that made me chary of any trips longer than across town to a cruise! I realize now there is plenty needing doing on the car--and plenty for me to learn, accordingly--before I try a long trip. Of course one objective was easily achieved...some photos of the car in its very first location, the old Stude plant. But the road trip, into eastern Ontario where the car was sold new and where it spent most of its first 40 years, will have to wait...Fondest thought about a possible road trip is of coming across someone in one of the towns who waxes nostalgic about a relative owning a Lark just like mine, I get the name, check the UVIP listing and say "yeah...in fact this is that car, that's why I'm up here"...[8D]

S.

Comment

It'd be nice to start in May. Go down old route 99 here in California. It meets up with US 66 in Los Angeles. That way, the weather wouldn't be so miserable and so probably wouldn't need AC. After all, we didn't have it whilst growing up. 5X60 AC works quite well.

Just dreaming here, but if Bess had her internals sufficiently freshend up and a proper EZ-lift on the rear, pulling an 'lil old Airstream...[8D][:X] Ah, dream a little dream...

Okay, here's a try at photoshoping. I'm not too very good at it, but... well, I think they go well together:

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        Lotsa Larks!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

OK, I need to know from the AZ guys and TX guys, how warm is it usually the last week in May? +85* or -85*. While there are no absolutes with the weather, what's it like in general. A/C needed or not?

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Actually, Swifster, I was thinking around the first week or so of May... It gets pretty warm in the south west late May coming into June.

Lotsa Larks!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Actually, Swifster, I was thinking around the first week or so of May... It gets pretty warm in the south west late May coming into June.
                              Yeah, but Ron, the National Meet is in the Phoenix area the year of the trip (last week of May [B)]). The Route 66 portion will be the week before the Meet. Of course after the meet is the three day trip back on I-10 and the southeast.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X