Big mistake in Patrick Fosters new book on Studes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big mistake in Patrick Fosters new book on Studes

The new Patrick Foster book "Studebaker The Complete History" arrived in our mail Monday and I of course had to peruse through it right away. As I opened the book and read the introduction on the sleeve I found this statement. And I quote. " Riding high in the 50's with the Raymond Loewey-designed Starliner, Studebaker merged with Packard and AMC and almost went bankrupt again" Now I of course don't know if the author or someone else wrote this fairy tale so I don't necessarily blame Mr. Foster.Not meaning to sound cynical I find it hard to believe Mr. Foster would write something like that as he is also the author of a book on AMC history named "American Motors:The last Independent" For those that are not knowledgeable about AMC, Nash and Hudson merged around 1954 and became AMC,so roughly in the same time frame as the Studebaker and Packard merger.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

"Riding high with the Loewy-designed Starliner....?"

Well, it must have been a drug-induced "high," because as good as the 1953s looked, they were a sales failure compared with the 1950-1951s! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Patrick Foster wrote in Hemmings Classic Car magazine about a fantasy merger of Studebaker, Packard, Hudson and Nash, so maybe the writer of the introduction read that and took it for fact.

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I agree with 41 Frank, don't necessarily hold anything on the dust jacketr against Foster. If he wrote a book on AMC, I'm sure he knows better than that.

Sounds like a publisher's marketing person wrote that.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Was there any mention that they're still making Avantis in Canada?

Skip Lackie
          Washington DC
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Someone will report on that no doubt Skip but as I am the worlds slowest reader it will no doubt be revealed by someone else

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Was there any mention that they're still making Avantis in Canada?

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

" Riding high in the 50's with the Raymond Loewey-designed Starliner....",

Was that the one with the Ford 289 engine?

John

Comment

Getting old is not very flattering, either physically or mentally. But, if my old memory serves me correctly, I have a copy of the Studebaker/Packard paperwork from 1954 where Packard BOUGHT Studebaker!!! Not a merger; Studebaker didn't buy Packard; PACKARD bought Studebaker. If anyone doesn't agree, I'll have to root thru my 'stuff' to get the copy of the contract.

toyman

Comment

Well I agree with you Toyman. Packard did buy Studebaker but I believe it was done by way of some sort of stock swap deal. Little or no cash involved as Packard was broke too.

quote:Originally posted by toyman

Getting old is not very flattering, either physically or mentally. But, if my old memory serves me correctly, I have a copy of the Studebaker/Packard paperwork from 1954 where Packard BOUGHT Studebaker!!! Not a merger; Studebaker didn't buy Packard; PACKARD bought Studebaker. If anyone doesn't agree, I'll have to root thru my 'stuff' to get the copy of the contract.

toyman
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer
                    Was that the one with the Ford 289 engine?
                    John
                    No- I thought they had a turbo-supercharged Packard in them [?] [?] [?]

I might be wrong, but that's what I'm always hearing... [:0] [)]

StudeDave [8D]

edited for spelling... [V]
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by toyman

No reason to provide proof of that. It's been WELL DOCUMENTED several times that Packard BOUGHT Studebaker. And after the fact, it was a bone of contention amongst old-line Packard people when it was Packard that got phased out, and ultimately, the 'Packard' name itself in the corporate title.

Craig

Comment

Did Foster spell the name as "Loewey" as in Frank's quote or "Loewy" as in Bob P's quote. Of course, both quotes can not be exact quotes. This just points up the way some errors creep into print. (Loewy is correct.)

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Looking at it again Gary it is spelled Loewy on the sleeve, not Loewey, I apologize, my typo. One should not make mistakes like that when quoting.

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Did Foster spell the name as "Loewey" as in Frank's quote or "Loewy" as in Bob P's quote. Of course, both quotes can not be exact quotes. This just points up the way some errors creap into print. (Loewy is correct.)

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by studegary

Did Foster spell the name as "Loewey" as in Frank's quote or "Loewy" as in Bob P's quote. Of course, both quotes can not be exact quotes. This just points up the way some error creap into print. (Loewy is correct.)

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

Now Gary, I know you know how to spell "creep"...see how easy it is to get into print!!!

Comment

Just finished reading the book. Never even read the inside of the jacket until now. Aside from that error, the book is very informative and well written. I have one question that I've never seen mentioned in the book or anywhere else.

After the decision to close the South Bend and the Canadian factories, did anyone ever interview Sherwood Egbert and see how he felt about Studebakers demise ?

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

Working...
                              X