"Bud" is home! (Many pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bud" is home! (Many pictures)

I have copied John Batka's post on the recovery of Bud from the STT site as I wanted to provide a warning on the pictures.

"Well it wasn't easy and it was HOT ( 105 & muggy)! but like I say if it were easy everybody would do it. We finaly got there at about 1PM after a quick look over I realized a couple of things, first it has a 259ci, that has been converted to a 289 with 289 crank & whatever else is needed to do so. I guess it is a 312ci now, thats what Norris said. Also the paint is far worse that I thought, and there are a few mionor rust issues, and The cab mounts are shot. That said it's a pretty good little truck. after I got it home I started to get a little more optimistic. I think for now, I will keep it on the frame it's on, it can be fixed, but he didn't have a welder.

Any how when we got there the axle for the front of the truck was missing (he told us prior that he had it). The rear axle was not mounted to the truck, so The new frame had to be stripped of it's front axle so we could mount it on the truck. So we put the extra frame on the trailer then started to dimantle it. The rear axle was missing all the hardware for attatching it to the truck, so back to the extra frame. By the time we looked for the missing front axle, (then found out that it was scrapped) then swapped everything out, then loaded everyting, we had been in that heat for eight solid hours. Everything we touched was HOT.

We finaly got on the road at 9pm and made our way home. I dropped Paul and Larry off at 1am the I took a nap in an abandoned Lowes parking lot, I was beat, I woke up at 7am on Mon did all my yard work, played a double header of softball, got 4 hours sleep, drove all morning, spent 8 hours in the sun, drove home, unloaded everthing, and played another game of softball Wed. by 5pm. I was then able to get to sleep in a bed, and I got no sleep cause all I could think about was my new truck.

Anyway, I'll quite for now or you guys are gonna get tired of reading, A quick note after checking the inventory, I quickly realized there is no speedometer, or the small guage to the right of it, I can't remember now wich one it is, but it's between the speedo, and the ignition. If anybody want's to part with them let me know. I'm sure I'm missing a few other things, but I find out when I'm putting it together.

Thanks to Pual and Larry, I could have never got this done without you guy's."

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

[:0] Wow, a lot of work to "pick up" a project.
    I'm glad it wasn't me. Good to hear you made the trip safely.[^]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

MBSTUDE...just found your trim!

Nice truck Gary, what's the plan?

Comment

Don't think I didn't notice that Dave!

Glad to see that all went well with picking the truck up. Good luck with it and keep us updated. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

You Guys did a Fantastic job. Bud looks great I can't wait to hear his progress. Thank You so much for stepping up to the Plate. I for one really appreciate it. Great pictures.
          Thanks Again
          Anne

Mabel 1949 Champion
          1957 Silverhawk
          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          1955 President State
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Excellent post! Thanks for the pictures and story. Will look forward to reading progress reports.[8D]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Hey guys BIG BONUS! I was scraping around with my pocket knife and found a metal tag on the rear end with a large "T" on it and a ratio of 4:09. Does that mean what I think it does. If so that is Sweet!
              John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Very exciting,John!

Now that i have seen the guy "in the steel"
                and at some stage even without his shirt on,
                it almost feels like i know him.
                There is a face now to the truck who lucked out
                and found the right owner.
                You certainly did the right thing, and i am sure
                that you will get all the support(and parts!)
                from the the Budster's extended family here on
                the forum, that you deserve.

Following your progress here will be like an
                internet course in "Raising a C-Cab 101"

Regards
                Peet

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

I have copied John Batka's post on the recovery of Bud from the STT site as I wanted to provide a warning on the pictures.

"Well it wasn't easy and it was HOT ( 105 & muggy)! but like I say if it were easy everybody would do it. ...
                  Thanks to Paul and Larry, I could have never got this done without you guy's."
                  Aw shucks- weren't nothin'. I did something a whole lot harder two days later- took three grand kids (boy 13 [V], girl 10 [:I] and boy 7 [:I] on a two-day overnight trip.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                  1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                  X