This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsletter editor

I am posting this in the general discussion area because it contains things I believe most/many editors won't bring up to their Chapter and should be brought up on their behalf. I'm finishing up my turn in the barrel as editor, so I don't have much to be reserved about.

The editor should receive a reduction on his dues. In most chapters a large part of the membership fee pays for the newsletter printing and postage. No benefit there for the editor.

The editor should get a free SDC roster for reference. They are an excellent reference for screwed up addresses, telephone numbers, location of cars for sale, officers, chapters, etc.

The chapter should be vigorous in buying computer software, scanner or anything else that would be of help to the position. Some hardware things could/should go with the position when it changes.

Give the food line first place privilege to the editor. Otherwise he might waste valuable time talking and enjoying the event instead of taking pictures, writing down names, playing 20 questions with the guy too lazy to write out his ad, etc.

Provide a staff. (An outrageous demand.) A specific person to manage the want ads. A specific person to provide tech or car-care tips. And, if they live close, a specific person(s) to help with the folding, labeling, stamping.

*In the last three year as editor I estimate that I spent the equivalent of a month of 40 hour weeks putting out the newsletter. I mention this not to get an attaboy but to convey the amount of work involved without pay. One month's work on my Studebakers would have made them look a lot better. (Don't be surprised if your editor has a crappy looking car.) I bring this aspect up only in order to shame the frugal members that are reluctant to spend chapter funds.
    (*Monthly issue, large chapter.)

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
    sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

I think some months ago in a different thread I suggested some of these things (when we were talking about officers and such). I think there's a lot to be said for offering the volunteers, including editors, a lot of what you're saying.

I can't see that most of the suggestions would meet any serious opposition. The staff thing might be tricky, but the others are basically only a common courtesy.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I think some months ago in a different thread I suggested some of these things (when we were talking about officers and such). I think there's a lot to be said for offering the volunteers, including editors, a lot of what you're saying.

I can't see that most of the suggestions would meet any serious opposition. The staff thing might be tricky, but the others are basically only a common courtesy.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Regarding the newsletter staff proposal:

I presently have the newsletter archives and can look back in them and see that 20 years ago I was requesting material from the chapter and don't really see responses in the following issues.
        When individuals are personally asked for a writeup on cars that they owned, their first Studebaker, pictures, etc something is usually produced.
        That's why I believe accountability of some members, who are VOLUNTEER helpers, to regularly provide certain things MIGHT produce some input.

After you buttonhole people for ten years the chore gets a bit tiresome and you start to wonder if there is not a better way than wringing it out of them. Perhaps having a designated wringer on the staff would work.
        The chapter people that have held the job themselves have also been the most helpful ones with contributing information. I don't know whether that is because they are naturally those people who are inclined to support the chapter anyhow --- or because of their sympathetic understanding from when they held the job.
        There is more support information items coming from SDC to the editors now and that's good. In my opinion most editors want to get the local chapter doins' out foremost and the national level stuff makes interesting filler

I wonder how many ideas in the earlier thread you mentioned actually resulted in a motion under "new business" at a subsequent chapter meeting. I know I didn't propose anything for the editor(me). That would be kind of tacky. That's exactly the reason this is posted under the general discussion rather than the editor forum.
        So I'm off to do my home work.

sigpic

Comment

Regarding the newsletter staff proposal:

I presently have the newsletter archives and can look back in them and see that 20 years ago I was requesting material from the chapter and don't really see responses in the following issues.
          When individuals are personally asked for a writeup on cars that they owned, their first Studebaker, pictures, etc something is usually produced.
          That's why I believe accountability of some members, who are VOLUNTEER helpers, to regularly provide certain things MIGHT produce some input.

After you buttonhole people for ten years the chore gets a bit tiresome and you start to wonder if there is not a better way than wringing it out of them. Perhaps having a designated wringer on the staff would work.
          The chapter people that have held the job themselves have also been the most helpful ones with contributing information. I don't know whether that is because they are naturally those people who are inclined to support the chapter anyhow --- or because of their sympathetic understanding from when they held the job.
          There is more support information items coming from SDC to the editors now and that's good. In my opinion most editors want to get the local chapter doins' out foremost and the national level stuff makes interesting filler

I wonder how many ideas in the earlier thread you mentioned actually resulted in a motion under "new business" at a subsequent chapter meeting. I know I didn't propose anything for the editor(me). That would be kind of tacky. That's exactly the reason this is posted under the general discussion rather than the editor forum.
          So I'm off to do my home work.

sigpic

Comment

This is what I wrote a year ago on the thread "A gripe about SDC":

"How about another idea, then? Maybe we just keep things the way they are now with the roster for members at large, but allow the SDC to absorb the cost of rosters for all chapter officers as a perk each year. There'd be some cost to the club, of course, but it would provide the officers with an up to date roster for recruiting (if that makes sense) and also give them something tangible as a thank-you for their willingness to be officers. I don't think that could be construed as unreasonable. Maybe it would make running for an office a little more appealing for members."

As far as I know the idea died with the post.

Comment

"How about another idea, then? Maybe we just keep things the way they are now with the roster for members at large, but allow the SDC to absorb the cost of rosters for all chapter officers as a perk each year. There'd be some cost to the club, of course, but it would provide the officers with an up to date roster for recruiting (if that makes sense) and also give them something tangible as a thank-you for their willingness to be officers. I don't think that could be construed as unreasonable. Maybe it would make running for an office a little more appealing for members."

Comment

After 4 years of doing our chapter's NL, I gave one month's notice and quit. It was the chapter President that kept the NL going after that. Eventually someone else stepped up, but with their doing so, the NL took a decidedly non-Studebaker turn to it's content.
                It wasn't the new editor's fault so much as the lack of club input (as I'd gotten used to when I served) that caused the NL to go more with recipies and cutesie, non-Studebaker articles.

The ONE time someone in the chapter grudgingly agreed to help out (with the folding, stapling and mailing), they failed to do that. Hell, I used to feel guilty for asking reimbursement for an ink cartridge for my printer!

I will say - editor or not - if you can afford a Studebaker and gas to drive it, you can afford a roster. If you can't, sell the Studebaker and apply the proceeds to where you can stop living on cans of dog food.[xx(]

AND By the way..... in this age of technology, someone in each given chapter's GOTTA have an E-mail address. How damned difficult would it be for club registration to send an alert to the appropriate chapter when a new member signs up with SDC???[:0]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

After 4 years of doing our chapter's NL, I gave one month's notice and quit. It was the chapter President that kept the NL going after that. Eventually someone else stepped up, but with their doing so, the NL took a decidedly non-Studebaker turn to it's content.
                  It wasn't the new editor's fault so much as the lack of club input (as I'd gotten used to when I served) that caused the NL to go more with recipies and cutesie, non-Studebaker articles.

The ONE time someone in the chapter grudgingly agreed to help out (with the folding, stapling and mailing), they failed to do that. Hell, I used to feel guilty for asking reimbursement for an ink cartridge for my printer!

I will say - editor or not - if you can afford a Studebaker and gas to drive it, you can afford a roster. If you can't, sell the Studebaker and apply the proceeds to where you can stop living on cans of dog food.[xx(]

AND By the way..... in this age of technology, someone in each given chapter's GOTTA have an E-mail address. How damned difficult would it be for club registration to send an alert to the appropriate chapter when a new member signs up with SDC???[:0]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have been told that 90% of the members of our chapter have email addresses, so that means fewer newsletter copies are printed and mailed, and only to those 10% without email. Everybody else gets the newsletter as an email attachment. Other chapters may want to consider this option, too. You can use MS Word or PDF for the format, and users can obtain the free Acrobat Reader or the free Microsoft Word Viewer in order to read it.

This move toward email-delivered newsletters will save us enough money every year to cover the cost of website hosting and domain name registration, with money left over.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                    The Red-Headed Amazon
                    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I have been told that 90% of the members of our chapter have email addresses, so that means fewer newsletter copies are printed and mailed, and only to those 10% without email. Everybody else gets the newsletter as an email attachment. Other chapters may want to consider this option, too. You can use MS Word or PDF for the format, and users can obtain the free Acrobat Reader or the free Microsoft Word Viewer in order to read it.

This move toward email-delivered newsletters will save us enough money every year to cover the cost of website hosting and domain name registration, with money left over.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                      The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                      The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Thanks for finding that previous thread as I couldn't.
                        I don't think all the officers would get much benefit from a national roster but I think the editor and maybe the president would. The others put their own chapter roster in the drawer and forget where it is.

And I agree with Mr.Biggs' last paragraph.

I bought my own roster. But my view is that the chapter should find every way they can to make the editor feel like he is getting at least a little recognition for his work. (Yes, I know I got a plaque from SDC too, but an SDC roster would have been more useful.) And I really didn't mind ending up on the tail end of the chow line because I "needed" to take pictures. But anything/everything that a chapter can do to keep their editor might be worth considering for its potential return.

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Thanks for finding that previous thread as I couldn't.
                          I don't think all the officers would get much benefit from a national roster but I think the editor and maybe the president would. The others put their own chapter roster in the drawer and forget where it is.

And I agree with Mr.Biggs' last paragraph.

I bought my own roster. But my view is that the chapter should find every way they can to make the editor feel like he is getting at least a little recognition for his work. (Yes, I know I got a plaque from SDC too, but an SDC roster would have been more useful.) And I really didn't mind ending up on the tail end of the chow line because I "needed" to take pictures. But anything/everything that a chapter can do to keep their editor might be worth considering for its potential return.

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

So exactly much how does that help the editor? Its still a trip to the printer and so forth.
                            I estimate that 25% of the 101 members in my chapter have email. Comparatively, your chapter must be of a much younger age group.

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

So exactly much how does that help the editor? Its still a trip to the printer and so forth.
                              I estimate that 25% of the 101 members in my chapter have email. Comparatively, your chapter must be of a much younger age group.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X