• Show
Clear All

• Avanti Production Order

Check out the production order on this EBAY ad:

http://tinyurl.com/496ekv

Date order was written: 6-7-63

Date shipped: 10-1-63

Serial number: 4886

Proof that even well into the production run Studebaker did not have it together as far as filling orders? Four months is way too long for a car to be received from the factory.

1957 Packard Clipper
    1958 Golden Hawk
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1963 R2 Daytona
    1963 R2 GT Hawk
    1963 R1 Wagonaire
    1963 R4 Avanti
    1964 Champ
    1966 Cruiser

Not the resident Avanti expert, but I see this differently.
    It appears that this was a factory written order, not a sold order, for an Avanti that went to stock in South Bend (as many were). The car order was written June 7. The car was built after the change to 1964 model on August 8. It was finally shipped to the SF Zone in October.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Th order date for the fairly early R-2, 4-speed I had some time back was September '62. It was delivered January '63 to the dealer who had placed the order. Of course, one delay could have been that it was ordered (and shipped) in black.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
      Museum R-4 engine
      1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
      1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

That is one BEAUTIFUL Avanti! I LOVE that interior! Really sharp!
        There are probably many possible reasons for this cars' delay in production. It was ordered June 7, '63, was built 8/8/63 and OK'd for shipment to the San Francisco Zone on 8/13/63. But the "out the gate" stamp shows Oct. 1, '63! [:0]

So I think the body may have had serious issues with the fiberglass quality & fit which we know happened on some cars because Molded Fiberglass Co. was finally stopped from building complete bodies and S.B. took over assembling the pieces in house.
        That could mean they put this one in the "back room" until acceptable cars were shipped and then repaired it 4 mos. later at which time all of the accessories/options were changed to '64 item codes as it got a '64 steering column & wheel, dash, door panels, complete solid color interior etc. (most of the '64 "running changes") but I would bet it does not have the cowl vent slots on the riser part of the simulated hood scoop [^]

How many other possible scenarios are there? [?]

Notice that it got a quite early Body #, line # , order # BUTthe '63 serial # was changed to a very late '64 Serial. This is a very interesting car, it could explain the real reason that those '64's got built with ROUND headlights and just accepted as "transitional cars" !

OR...NOT!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Nice car. And the BIN doesn't look too bad...depending on stuff we don't see and just how bad the paint bubbles are.

I'm not trying to nit-pick it..but what's with the carpet? It looks redish orange or tan.
          What color would a white car with turquoise interior originally have?

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

This car would have had the "salt & pepper" Turquoise & Black carpeting front and rear. It appears that it does have it in front, but the rear was replaced with brown possibly because the original is NLA! [:0]

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The salt and pepper carpeting is available. I had purchased mine from Phantom Auto about a year or so ago. Matched perfectly..

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

I can account for part of the delay, but this involves the inspection sheets. When we picked up our '63 a few years ago we went to one of the big Avanti members(name escapes me at the moment) and got the Avanti inspection sheets for the car. There were at least 3-4 pages of check listed items that had to be fixed prior to the car leaving the assembly line. They went through everything(body, accessories, electrical, engine, etc). If anything, its a real hoot, particularly at a car show to read through the items that had to be fixed before the car left the factory for good!! [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

My car came with inspection sheets and the repair list was a long one.
                  But hopefully it would have been out in a couple of days.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The most interesting thing to me is that this is car #4886 and mine is #4883. The car is in Medford, OR and I live in Portland, OR. I have corresponded with the seller, a very nice man, who has taken pictures to help me with authenticity issues that seem germane to the cars built around my serial # era. I hope whoever buys it brings it through Portland so I can stop them and take some more pictures!

DEA
                    Dennis

Comment

Four months was about right. In early summer of 1963 (May or maybe June) I ordered an R-2 which got delivered in either October or early November. Studebaker never got Avanti production corrected.

Comment

Working...
                      X