C-body door mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-body door mystery

Maybe this is one of those things - the discussion or answer to which I just never caught wind of. But as I was making and trial fitting door panels for this 53 Ranch Coop yesterday, my eyes fell upon a useless detail that nonetheless made me ponder it's being![B)]

WHY is this inner door skin stamped with a second well for an inner door actuator? The only reason I can think of is so someone in the back seat could open the door to get out if no one was in the front seat to open the door for them. I sure don't recall reading where such an option was actually installed, but then, as I said, I don't claim to know anywhere NEAR all there is to know about this marque.

What say the rest of ye?

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

I don't know Bob, but I think that your guess is a good one. The second actuator was probably cost engineered out.

I owned a 1967 Imperial Crown Coupe that had a second door handle for rear seat passengers, and other cars also had this feature. It was probably considered to be not necessary for the cost involved in Studebaker's price class.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Maybe it was for the cancelled Curtis-Wright multi rotor vvankel engine version, where you only had a back seat?
      (Yes, it is very hot here today)
      Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Maybe it was for the cancelled Curtis-Wright multi rotor vvankel engine version, where you only had a back seat?
        (Yes, it is very hot here today)
        Jeff[8D]

Yes, it hs been hotter in this part of NY (Hudson Valley) than in Central Florida. Yesterday, we set a new record, for the day, of 97 degrees F. Today, of all days, I had to go out in a suit. It was already 90 degrees this morning when I left home. At least my car was air conditioned and I was shuttled from the parking lot to the event in a Global Motors electric car.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I'll give that some thought. .... OK, I gave it some.

Gary, I had a 64 Imp Crown Coupe that didn't have that feature. Of course, the 67 was a totally different car. the 64-5-6s were pretty much the same.
          It's sort of amusing to think of anyone opting to ride in that rear seat if the front one was not taken, but I will say I used to see lots of Asian couples in the Los Angeles area where the gal would ride in the right rear seat while the guy drove. Only Asian folks tho - and usually in 4dr cars.[:X]

On these Stude doors, it would be awfully easy to add a second actuator if one cared to. I don't think I'll be breaking that new ground tho. Funny to think it got far enough along to have the pocket incorporated in the door skin and then end up stillborn![B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Often those little details are a result of the manufacturing process. The machine stamping the part stamps a right or left door mechanism imprint. More efficient than two separate stamps, and no downside.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
            "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Don,
              I thought of that, first thing - but there's no shared symmetry (between L & R doors) here to dictate this detail being where it is. L & R are mirror images to be sure, but each side had it's own dies. I worked with/on the very sort of machines that do this kind of work: stampers, presses, brakes, shears... This detail was put there on purpose - not as a manufacturing convenience.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

Comment

Ya suppoz you could rig up an additional door handle just to have one on your car? It looks to be fairly simple and would certainly look cool...

Bob Johnstone

http://www.studebaker-info.org
                55 President State Sedan
                64 GT Hawk
                70 Avanti (R3)
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Ah Jeez.Now I gotta pull my door panel off to see if it's there on mine[V] And I think it is,just never paid attention.

Oglesby,Il.
                  "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I seem to recall that a lot of older stamping presses had dies that cut or had recesses that held parts so they couldnt shift.SWAG answer.
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

On these Stude doors, it would be awfully easy to add a second actuator if one cared to. I don't think I'll be breaking that new ground tho. Funny to think it got far enough along to have the pocket incorporated in the door skin and then end up stillborn![B)]
                      Apparently it was a 'last minute' change NOT to have a second inside release by the factory. It was discussed in Fred Fox's 'Literature In Review' column in TW several years ago.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig. It really would be easy to install a second actuator if one wanted to. Kinda curious that there's a similar accomodation on the left door as well, but then I guess if it were to be a RHD car![^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

Comment

Our '71 Cadillac Eldorado drop top has a second door handle in the location. [^]

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

<snip>
                            WHY is this inner door skin stamped with a second well for an inner door actuator?
                            [8D]A good find Mr. B!

All I can say is the original doors on a 1956 K-Body (Golden Hawk) have similar indentations.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Makes no sense to me.

I don't think it is possible for any one to even get into the back seat of a C/K, let alone ride there for any more than a mile

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X