No announcement yet.

Best way to cover a missing windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best way would probably be to install a used windshield that might come with a reusable rubber gasket. I have a good friend who is like a jack of all trades------ McGuyver type of guy [actually a carpenter] and his suggestion is to attach a 4-12 pitch roof with at least a 1 1/2 foot overhang on the sides and eave ends. You might try to fasten it with bungee cords, duck tape, mighty putty, super glue. Magnets should work great too. Gutters and downspouts would be an option. I would recommend 30 year shingles. You might want to use this for your next project. If not you could always sell it on E-Bay listed as a "Windshield Eliminator" Chevy-Mopar-RatRod. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

You didn't indicate whether the project involves repainting the car. Don't ever put a plastic sheet or tarp directly on a painted surface that you want to protect. The combination of heat, moisture and chafing from the wind will destroy contact areas of the paint in a matter of a week or so. You can put a plastic cover over a soft cloth cover but lash it well to minimize wind flapping. Woven and coated plastic tarps are particularly abrasive if the woven side is down and it's not two-side coated.

Comment

Heh - heh... I had one of those car covers that frequents ebay. You know - the one's that claim to fit various models of Studebakers?
        The Califgornia sun reduced it to superfine grey powder in about 6 months time!
        Dick probably found some of that powder when he was detailing the Daytona he got from me![xx(]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
        X